1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question New "Oh Shit" layer

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Moondog55, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I've been looking for a new warm layer for just in case use to replace my old DAS parka. While still just warm enough it has lost about a third of its initial warmth [ educated guess] and is now on the heavier side compared to new gear. I just tried and returned one of the Macpac Arrowsmith parkas, and while warm enough it was about 2 sizes too small in the XXL. Asian sizing still.
    Just an idle speculation now but has anybody tired out an insulated poncho for this bivvy situation?
    I've done the army tropical blanket thing and no way would I contemplate that in the snow but I do like the concept.
    So has anybody here any experience with synthetically insulated ponchos like the ThermaRest Honcho?
    For winter bivvy use here I think a waterproof breathable outer with polyester insulation makes sense, other colder parts of the world I'd want down and a good bit of it. I am making a new half bag to cover my legs although that work is still a project in progress, I made one far too warm and working now on something a lot lighter.

2. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I carry a Macpac 'Pulsar' synthetic down jacket for emergency warmth. It's generally too warm for most ski days here in Aus. but I found it great in Japan. I think the original has been replaced with an upgrade called 'Pulsar plus' but I don't know the details.

3. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

It's a nice LW parka. I really wanted that model to work. I went to Macpac store and tried on an XXL while wearing my Pisa [ also XXL and reasonable snug] and my arms wouldn't fit down the sleeves. I don't consider myself a big bloke even tho I wear XL to XXXL clothing [ very brand dependent] and I am having trouble finding LW and UL clothing to fit.
    Heavy clothing and Expedition clothing is no problem but UL stuff seems to be cut very small. I still have the DAS parka and if I can't find anything the same size and cut but lighter I'll keep using it. I just want to cut some weight from my pack.
    My gut is bigger due to Covid but my shoulders and chest size haven't changed, still a 45-47 inch chest