New resort Jindabyne

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
So I guess to the original post, no, just no....

If you win Lotto don’t waste it on waterpark in Jindy! It wouldn’t work. What makes Jindy is it is an outdoor town, people like the outdoors not faux thrills.

As for matching the flanno, with the Land Rover, it does match, especially with the puffer vest and land rover truckers hat, but the glass of champers ruins the look ;)

Reactions: Majikthise
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
So I guess to the original post, no, just no....

If you win Lotto don’t waste it on waterpark in Jindy! It wouldn’t work. What makes Jindy is it is an outdoor town, people like the outdoors not faux thrills.

As for matching the flanno, with the Land Rover, it does match, especially with the puffer vest and land rover truckers hat, but the glass of champers ruins the look ;)
Ok fair enough
So if it’s outdoorsy what about a snow play beginners and railpark nearby out of the national park . My original intention is to relieve visitation pressure on the national park

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Ok fair enough
So if it’s outdoorsy what about a snow play beginners and railpark nearby out of the national park . My original intention is to relieve visitation pressure on the national park
I don't know of anywhere this could occur

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Needs a Ferris wheel to be taken seriously.
Monorail!

I'm actually somewhat serious, I think there should be a rail line that goes up the Thredbo Valley, has a stop at Bullocks to integrate with the Ski Tube, another at Thredbo & car travel into the NP seriously disincentivized, Zermatt style.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
Monorail!

I'm actually somewhat serious, I think there should be a rail line that goes up the Thredbo Valley, has a stop at Bullocks to integrate with the Ski Tube, another at Thredbo & car travel into the NP seriously disincentivized, Zermatt style.
I’ve been dreaming for years about a Skitube extension to Macdonaldtown
I’m not sure the old Cooma line is still there - maybe it’s under a road now?
or are you talking sbout a stand-alone railway from Jindy?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I’ve been dreaming for years about a Skitube extension to Macdonaldtown
I’m not sure the old Cooma line is still there - maybe it’s under a road now?
The Old cooma rail line and the pushback to build it as a rail trail is an example of how fuckin hopeless and backward some people are down there

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
It would make an awesome rail trail.
But bring back the rail! Nats are terrified of upsetting the 12* farmers on these routes and have stymied rail trails in NSW to the point where the ‘trial’ that is proposed is so short I can’t see how it will be too much of a success. Given these things need 5-10 years to ramp up once complete it’s hard to see why a ‘trial’ is needed in NSW, given we have about 10,000 examples globally to choose from.

Canberra to Cooma or Bombala would be a very, very, very popular trail. Capital city access by car, plane, bus and rail, local towns en route, scenic, great road access for support and shuttle services.... it’s be amazing.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
But bring back the rail! Nats are terrified of upsetting the 12* farmers on these routes and have stymied rail trails in NSW to the point where the ‘trial’ that is proposed is so short I can’t see how it will be too much of a success. Given these things need 5-10 years to ramp up once complete it’s hard to see why a ‘trial’ is needed in NSW, given we have about 10,000 examples globally to choose from.

Canberra to Cooma or Bombala would be a very, very, very popular trail. Capital city access by car, plane, bus and rail, local towns en route, scenic, great road access for support and shuttle services.... it’s be amazing.

Extend to Jindy would be awesome. Camp sites along the way.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Extend to Jindy would be awesome. Camp sites along the way.
Camp, farm stay, b&b, air b&b, pub accom, it’s all the micro businesses that these things generate that are their power.

Touring cyclists are happy to spend money. Riding largely packless with a change of clothes and ‘credit card camping’ is a lovely way to travel.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Camp, farm stay, b&b, air b&b, pub accom, it’s all the micro businesses that these things generate that are their power.

Touring cyclists are happy to spend money. Riding largely packless with a change of clothes and ‘credit card camping’ is a lovely way to travel.
Highest spend per day of any tourist they say
*US data.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Jindy needs something BIG like the Big Banana or Merino the tourist would flock there.Maybe the BIG cow dung
37BE53D9-F688-4BB1-A911-DD04994DE40B.jpeg

Obviously......

Reactions: malas1 and telecrag

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW

You oboviously haven't been up to the Northern Tablelands of late. Big signs along the New England saying:

"Trains not Bikes"

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
You oboviously haven't been up to the Northern Tablelands of late. Big signs along the New England saying:

"Trains not Bikes"
Pretty much the case across NSW.

I suspect part of the reason the member for Monaro in NSW has provided funds for an investigation into a new line form Eden up the escarpment and 'return to rail' is to try and squash rail trails on the Monaro.

I can't for the life of me work out why anyone thinks a local regional rail line will bring any funds to a local region. Local people drive. No one hops off every station and spends $200 and then gets back on five days in a row.

Meanwhile, across the rest of the world...

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Tumut / batelow is another trail that would be good but for a few militant farmers who have made all sorts of threats.

Unfortunately some of the promoters of the trails need to pull their heads in as well, yes they will eventually turn a profit but don’t expect 20mil In year 1 and don’t expect $20mil from a one day ride.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Pretty much the case across NSW.

I suspect part of the reason the member for Monaro in NSW has provided funds for an investigation into a new line form Eden up the escarpment and 'return to rail' is to try and squash rail trails on the Monaro.

I can't for the life of me work out why anyone thinks a local regional rail line will bring any funds to a local region. Local people drive. No one hops off every station and spends $200 and then gets back on five days in a row.

Meanwhile, across the rest of the world...
Lets build a container wharf at Eden....
Freight is time specific
Then lets haul it 500kms to where its needed.
costing a couple of extra thousand bucks
makes sense

Reactions: climberman

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Tumut-Batlow linked to the next one along would go well. Again, near a capital.

They kind of don't turn a 'profit' but provide a platform which allows small local businesses to get a foothold and operate - they return a regional economic benefit. Derby (not a rail trail but similar in that it's publicly-provided local recreation infrastructure which is free to use but is a platform for local business to develop and operate according market forces) is the best example I've seen as stand-alone MTB. Derby is self-supporting in that donation tins and charging $4 for a hot shower at the free campsites pays for it - Council has staff which look after the trails, clean the loos and showers (which are all top notch well kept).

Rail trails have done very very very well for regional Victoria and NZ especially where they are multiday.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
In the olden days the Cooma Mail went south on Friday night, but did not return on Sunday night. Doh. Then they tried the Snow Train for a year or 2. Promoted as a party experience, not (as made sense to me) sleep on Friday and Sunday night and get 2 days skiing.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
When I say profit I guess that’s what I meant, regional business generate an income from trail users, I think the one in Bright is supposed to generate around $20mil.

The batelow trail, is Batelow, Tumut, adelong and maybe gundagai.

Reactions: climberman

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
When I say profit I guess that’s what I meant, regional business generate an income from trail users, I think the one in Bright is supposed to generate around $20mil.

The batelow trail, is Batelow, Tumut, adelong and maybe gundagai.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...tmV1JsummhX_sRiok9Ekp0spO_wmyMqZZUOV7VDhhyq58

Local accommodation provider Kay Bristow said research from other rail trails shows cycle tourists spend at least $180 a night.

"They're good tourists because they move slowly through an area and they have a higher daily spend than other tourists do," Ms Bristow said.

"And for every dollar invested in cycle tourism infrastructure, about $3 is returned within the first two years to the local communities."

Reactions: crackson

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
@climberman

We we having the same conversation at Guyra. Here is a town 30km from Armidale and 70km from Glen Innes and as a resuult is in decline. If i am in a car looking for a place to stop and have a bite, or to find a room, or to get on the piss, i'll probably continue on to the larger town either side. If i'm on a bike i'll probably stop and spend in every town along the way, if not stay the night in all.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using