1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News New safety standards will snare bushwalkers in red tape, volunteers fear

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by currawong, Sep 5, 2017.

1. ecowain

ecowain One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Moderators, can we please move this to the bear pit.

The vibe has turned decidedly unBC.

luke1234 likes this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

People , do not attempt to get a reaction from The Team bears. It is just asking for pages of outpourings:p. Once Ubi. Steve starts he cannot stop. Last time this happened he was banned from the forum for a few weeks.:confused:
    I do not agree with the proposed legislation regarding Bushwalking clubs etc. but the Umbrella organization Bushwalking Victoria are waiting for what the wise apes in Spring street will do next before having an aneurysm .I think that is best we can do at present .If you wish to make a formal written snail mail submission to the State Government and /or Bushwalking Victoria or any XC ski clubs regarding sharing your concerns over this matter then that would be a useful channel to pursue.

ladycamper and luke1234 like this.
  3. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Legs one cannot be negligent unless somebody has been harmed..end of story.

I undertake my duty of care and I undertake to see no breaches occur.

This ain't no clear felling operation.....it's like we cut a fallen tree off the track and make sure it's not creating more of a hazard after the work .

The work is carried out to avoid any possible injury to anybody at anytime of operation or thereafter.

The trees that maybe fallen across any track or roadway may not be stable before such an operation....so you ensure that they most definately are after track clearing.

Now anybody seeking access to Camp Ck Gap has to chainsaw fallen trees also..I have not operated on that road this winter.
    Do you think it is just Parks Vic Staff that have been doing this......
    It is other forum members,users of Cleve Cole Hut and even Xplora from time to time we would presume .That work is no less hazardous than what track clearing work.Folk that cut parts of a tree off the road to assist the vehicle only to pass may in fact be leaving the roadway in a dangerous state....sometimes u don't get a choice with big Logs...so there are numerous folk on this forum that do exactly that...I am not critical,of them...where dangerous I make trees with hazard tape to alert approaching vehicles of dangerous objects on side of the roadway.Many folk don't even do that.But I do .

So you can argue they breach their duty of care to other users..who may use the roadway at night or during rain where visibility is poor.

So a smart lawyer maybe able to prove negligence for injury should another hit the objects.But you would have to prove that tree was cut by a particular person or group.

So maybe you should turn your attention and concern to other forum members that regularly chainsaw debri fallen on the roads they use.

We do pay attention to duty of care....or we mark hazards with tape..
    So we act in the most reasonable way possible so our duty of care is not breached.I am not critical of others in the way they handle their clearing operations.But am critical of lawyers willing to take advantage of such situations.

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

5. Ubiquitous Steve

Well u are now aware of how to win a case of negligence thanks to our input...

As Xplora has succinctly posted ..... negligence is crux of this discussion.

6. Ubiquitous Steve

Yep best to give the brain a rest.

7. Ubiquitous Steve

Hey no outpourings here. Simply to win a.negligence payout you need for somebody to be harmed..so I think we can leave it there....
    One can fail duty of care,one can breach their duty of care ..but you need to have harmed person....so boys seem to have folded if they cannot get that over the line.

8. Ubiquitous Steve

Australian adventure activity standards....

Bears want to know will we have to undertake continuing professional development with that.....

Is there a standard being developed for weekend picnics too.
    W P A S............We do feel that there must be a recognised standard for picnicking ....so Parks Vic can rest easy knowing all folk at Mt Ck have attained the W P A S.

We would support such a venture....great skill is required in picnicking ...
    Perhaps TAFE could include this ......Team Bears would like to attain their W P A S
    so we can document our qualifications for this skilful activity.
    Will we be required to produce a paper document if approached by Parks Vic Staff or will they have access to our qualifications electronically.

We also need to know what do we do if others do not have a WPAS ...are we required to alert Parks Vic immediately .Our lives could be endangered by those operating BBQs without such qualifications.

9. Darb

Darb Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Can you please explain US who the "we" is that you refer to ? Genuine question, isn't it only you?

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Team bears are a team.A team is a collective noun and thus it is a plural construction, therefore the first person plural pronoun is WE. The yellow rubber duck and the fluffy teddy bear as seen in most of his photos on this forum in fact do most of the invaluable volunteer track clearing work using the chain saw, indeed that side of most of Ubi. Steve's activities. Ubi. Steve handles the 4 WD driving and the picnic table installations in state forest locations, verily that end of the team operations.
    Of course if you believe this then you have taken way more acid ;) in your misspent youth than I ever have.LOL

ladycamper and skifree like this.
  11. Darb

Darb Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Well my 4 and 2 year old have inanimate objects as friends which is sometimes cute but can't say I've ever seen it done by an adult.

12. luke1234

luke1234 One of Us

come on people stay on topic please, he's had his rant, now let's move on...?

neilmny likes this.
  13. Ubiquitous Steve

Yes focus those intellects ..not getting side tracked..

I do support a look at WPAS ...some of you seem to be underachievers at the picnic table....I would like to see a recognised standard that you can attain......:whistle::whistle:

#163 Ubiquitous Steve, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  14. Ubiquitous Steve

Our new benchs will look like picnic tables to your kids....

And just to think that the Team could achieve so much in three weeks.......
    I am sure Team Bears can give you sound advice should you be struggling over anything.

But don't stray from the topic here...
    We were discussing the Australian Adventure Activity Standards....

15. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Keep up the good work Steve
    If you get sued, I reckon this forum would crowd fund your defence!
    Nil illegitimus carborundum!

ladycamper and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  16. Ubiquitous Steve

If I say that to the girls at kittens....I won't get beaten up will I!:thumbs:

Oh bumping and grinding....Team Bears are sure girls will like that!

Cura ut valeas.......
    Now every back on topic......

#166 Ubiquitous Steve, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Do you come with subtitles?

ladycamper likes this.
  18. slotele

slotele Hard Yards

Went to the hut in early August with hinges, drill, tools and a collection of bolts and screws. Already done! It was busy there, two school groups camping nearby and some army bods ripping the side of Basalt.

skifree and neilmny like this.
  19. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh this is good news...much appreciated work ...there will be many folk that will gain from your work....we probably won't hear from them but sheltering there in bad weather with a door that closes is a good safety measure.

Again well done

:thumbs:

20. slotele

slotele Hard Yards

I can't take the credit for the repair. We went there to fix it and found it already fixed. Someone else had beaten us to it.

ladycamper and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  21. ecowain

ecowain One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

22. Ubiquitous Steve

No need to panic ....Mr T has his "card" for chainsaw operation!

Only card Team Bears have are drink cards for Kittens ..

ladycamper likes this.