1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

New Snow website: Snowlife.com.au

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by James@Snowlife, Jul 25, 2007.

1. James@Snowlife

James@Snowlife First Runs

Hey guys

Just thought I would let everyone know there is a new Snowboard/Ski website online: Snowlife

We are slowly building it up and hope to have a thriving community shortly

Please let us know what you think

Cheers guys

Jimbo
    Snowlife.com.au

#1 James@Snowlife, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Haxor

Haxor Hard Yards

I like the URL James!

s-NO-w-LIFE.......

3. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

A real lot of effort for a very small market. Particularly when there are other sites already like this one.

Looks like some commercial money behind it. I hope someone did a decent business forecast on it before they counted the millions they expected to make.

4. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

More competition for Ian and Richard, I suppose that's good, it keeps the sites on the ball and ad prices down. It certainly looks nice, good luck to you!

- Just a couple of observations. You have Charlotte Pass down as "75 hours from Melbourne". Is this the timing on a pushbike?

- Ben Lomond misses out on a mention? The boys and girls down there will NOT be happy!

- I have registered for your forum, but when I try to log in I get the message "You are not authorised to view this resource. You need to login." But that's just what I'm trying to do!!!

Still, I'm a member of Frogwatch, snowheads, ASB Alpine and a few other ski forums, but I don't think I'll ever be properly lured away from Moosh!

EDIT. Perhaps you should have employed a proof reader who knows a fair bit about the ski industry and can spot errors of expression. There are lots of little things like the Baw Baw Season Dates: "Queens Birthday long weekend til Start of Octobe" Send me a PM if you want me to do the job, I've edited and indexed books and I don't charge much for interesting things like this.

5. James@Snowlife

Thanks for you're feedback Bogong, we are in the process of havng proof readers go over the site for us, but thanks for the offer

-the forum issues will be investigated-first we have heard of it
    -Ben Lomond will be added shortly: cheers for the tip!

#5 James@Snowlife, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. James@Snowlife

Hey scott,

Business forcasts have been undertaken, but the website was developed due to a passion for the industry rather than commercial gain (Of course it would be nice but it is not the main motivator)

We feel there is enough room in the market for something like Snowlife, which has a point of difference from other snow sites in australia

Cheers

Jimbo

#6 James@Snowlife, Jul 25, 2007
  7. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

what is the point of difference from other snow sites in Australia that you mention ? It is still a bit new, but I am having trouble seeing something that differentiates this site from others

Anyway, a couple of comments:

* having scroll bars within scroll bars on a page is a pain
    * the link to the Falls Creek trail map has too many http's in the URL

8. James@Snowlife

Thanks for your feedback emkae

Basically the concept of snowlife was to create a snow related website with the content in a more relevant and user friendly format

Our point of difference is that we are an easy to navigate, comprehensive, informative and entertaining guide to 'snow life' aimed at all levels of snow lovers (It's the way the user is presented with the information really)

We are still at a very early stage but we feel that once the teething issues are over and we become more established people will understand why we are a great option for snow news, information and entertainment

Thanks for checking us out everyone

James
    snowlife.com.au

9. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

hmmm and how exactly do you think a site like this started and evolved to what it is????

10. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

you have an odd definition of easy to navigate.

#10 D-eye, Jul 25, 2007
  11. James@Snowlife

Hi D'eye

Just wondering what the issue with our navigation is?

Obviously the site is nothing in terms of size compared to this site but we feel that we still have something to offer the community

Kind regards,

James
    snowlife.com.au

#11 James@Snowlife, Jul 26, 2007
  12. James@Snowlife

Not sure exactly what you mean here

We realise that ski.com.au started from humble beginnings and we like parts of how it has evolved-other parts we feel would be better done differently

Cheers

James
    snowlife.com.au

#12 James@Snowlife, Jul 26, 2007
  13. James@Snowlife

I agree mate-to be honest I thought this would have been gone a bit quicker! The content is something we are working hard to get built up but I guess we are in a similar situation to many other new websites where we take a little while to build up

Any suggestions on how we could make the navigation more intuitive?

Kind regards,

James
    snowlife.com.au

#13 James@Snowlife, Jul 26, 2007
  14. MungBean

MungBean One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Definitely cheeky. Says 2 things to me.

1) Ian and Richard don't see it as a threat
    2) The only way to get your name out there in snow sport is to be here. The need to post it here and look for feedback says more for ski.com.au than anything else.

Has all the hallmarks of a typical script kiddies effort to me - free CMS software, a few rss feeds, some clip art and a couple of bucks of stock photography and a prayer for "please advertise here" in various places. Good luck to them, hope they get a set of skis or a board or something out of it.

15. Base

Base First Runs

Gee I've been using ski.com.au for a long time now, and only now have I decided to sign up for this forum board. I've lost a bit of respect for this site and its users! I didn't realise the users were so pessimistic about having a go! These guys who have put together quite an attractive site ( yes with a couple of initial problems, but surely any website will have these problems) and in my opinion constructed it around building a community, rather than revenue. Its pretty clear to me they have more interest in the snow and obviously a passion for it. Perhaps ski.com.au should take the same approach, or maybe thats the difference in approach that James is talking about between the two websites.

16. Benn0

Benn0 Old n' Crusty

It seems to me with a bit of work, it could successfully appeal to a different audience, and perhaps attract those who are scared off by some of the SI long-term locals.

Anything that promotes the sport is good, I think.....

17. Base

Base First Runs

I agree Benn0. Its about the sport and encouraging people to take skiing up. Maybe that will encourage the gods up stairs to provide us with more snow on more mountains too. ha

18. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

my point is that 10 years of trial and error have shaped this site to be what it is... I'm all for folk having a go but perhaps a little more understanding of what else has been tried before could save them a hell of a lot of angst.

this site ain't perfect, it doesn't/can't appeal to everyone... but it is still here(unlike half a dozen that VSG could name)... that doesn't happen by chance.

19. Base

Base First Runs

No, they've done a great job, you can't go past ten years of experience. I think its a great website and a really valid post Majikthise. I mean its informed me of everything snow since I discovered it. Anyway good luck to James and snowlife.

20. Mikrou05

Mikrou05 First Runs

My goodness, not that I'd know, but that was perhaps the most disfigured website I have been on since 1997 when Frontpage was all the rage. (I was a rapper in a past life too)

Easy to navigate = ski.com.au

That was really a waste... hate to be a kill joy Base - but IMO that is really an unpleasant website.

Good luck - but that was the first and last hit that snowlife.com.au will get from me.

21. James@Snowlife

I could not agree with you more, the new ski.com.au is very easy to navigate-and we feel for the average user in our target demographic our site is very easy to navigate too

Unplesent website? Each to their own-we obviously like what we have made and feel it is suited in terms of design for our target market.

To be honest you are probley not the user we are aiming the site towards from the sounds of it which is fine

Thanks for visiting anyway

Cheers

James
    snowlife.com.au

#21 James@Snowlife, Jul 27, 2007
  22. holo

holo First Runs

the more web sites about skiing the better IMO.

I agree Ian and Richard are being decent to let it stay. I also would hope to see more "constructive" criticism rather some of the comments above.

23. Mikrou05

Mikrou05 First Runs

James... who are you aiming it at? I'm 17, a new boarder... willing to spend money for gear? Typical sporty teen, likes AFL.

May I ask how old you are?

Is it cause I don't smoke bewgs?

Anyhow, I'm one in billions of internet users - so you are probably not even worried about my thoughts! G'night all

24. letitsnow123

letitsnow123 First Runs

25. James@Snowlife

Thanks holo

The reason we posted here was because it is the number 1 snow site online, and we wanted some constructive criticism.

Some of you guys have been really helpful and I really appreciate it. Some comments have not been as helpful but we will take everything on board

Thanks again guys

James
    snowlife.com.au

#25 James@Snowlife, Jul 28, 2007
  26. James@Snowlife

Thanks mate

Nice to get a positive response!

James
    snowlife.com.au

#26 James@Snowlife, Jul 28, 2007
  27. tcross

tcross One of Us

tried to gain a login, under the name tcross but not working never recieved an email

28. D-eye

1. Front page, the navigation breaks all sorts of conventions and is on the right.

2. Said navigation on the right has text that is 90º to the rest of the page, this makes it hard to read, especially for people with certain accessibility problems.

3. Once you're off the main page, the main navigation is on the right, but the local navigation is on the left. This is confusing to users.

4. Scroll bars inside part of a page are unpleasant to use. eg scroll the middle bar to the bottom, but part of the section is not viewable until you scroll the outer bar.

5. The mix of colours and fonts is as someone else said, similar to a dogs breakfast, after it has thrown it up.

To those complaining about negative comments, well he asked for opinions, negative comments go with the territory.

As for where I am coming from, well I manage 20 or so websites. Admittedly some of them are pretty crappy - I inherited them that way, but I'm gradually replacing them with something better. Just don't ask me what they are as I try not to mix work with here.

#28 D-eye, Jul 29, 2007
  29. Base

Base First Runs

Wombat200:

Its a very good point you make. I think maybe its a corner milk bar setting up in Coles, but still the same point. I don't necessarily agree with them posting on here either, but they're not selling anything. 'Please let us know what you think'?? I'm not going to jump ship on that.

30. Mikrou05

Mikrou05 First Runs

Are those 3D mountains on the frontpage actually accurate? Some seem like US resorts or something?

31. James@Snowlife

Hi

They are not real mountains aesthetically-they are just some original graphics we created-in terms of the mountain heights they are fairly accurate in comparison to eachother

It is just a graphical way to represent each mountain and the corresponding conditions which we thought was cool

Kind regards,

James
    snowlife.com.au

#31 James@Snowlife, Jul 29, 2007
  32. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    good to see enthusiasm for the ski / board culture. Snowflirt.com is another aussie snow web site - did you see that one? I like their logo!

33. James@Snowlife

I hadn't actually seen that one-really awesome logo I agree

The more sites the merrier I say!

Jimbo
    snowlife.com.au

#33 James@Snowlife, Jul 31, 2007
  34. frazels

frazels One of Us

Great site James. I love the right-hand tabbed navigation.

As for colours, i'm sure you'll mix and match as the site ages.. as nearly every site does.

Ya' D'eye, fortunately the internet doesn't have conventions. And Yes, its hard to believe some people don't use FrontPage to "manage 20 or so websites"

#34 frazels, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  35. D-eye

I wouldn't touch Frontpage using someone else's body parts let alone mine.

Go look up some of the studies on where the eye travels on a page.

36. frazels

frazels One of Us

Haha D'eye. Sorry, apologies. It just sounded you were a Frontpage 'man'.

I believe that the navigation is not uniform or actually effective, but its something different which makes people interested.

Navigation is way over-rated. Most people give up after a few clicks - Google is their friend. Regulars know where the navigation is.

37. D-eye

and that's the point, well thought out navigation and consistency across the site makes it more likely that they won't "give up". Searches do not always bring you to where you might need to be ("need" being based on what it is you are looking for)

I really wouldn't want to deal with nearly 20 GB of content and 20,000+ pages using frontpage.

#37 D-eye, Jul 31, 2007
  38. frazels

frazels One of Us

What do you use then.

39. D-eye

A fairly expensive content management system that is tailored to the Enterprise level.

40. Mikrou05

Mikrou05 First Runs

haha D'eye doesn't mix business with mooshers!

I'm assuming something larger than anything in the Adobe suite?

But still... as was said earlier, there are certain conventions that should be conformed to, such as the fact that the eye is drawn to the top of the page, as we read naturally from the top to bottom - and the eye is drawn to the left first - guess why?

Snowflirt is better at least. [​IMG]

#40 Mikrou05, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  41. James@Snowlife

I do understand what you are saying but I do not think it explains why our navigation does not work. I agree there are web design conventions and I am very aware of them-but who want's to stick to conventions? They are made to be broken aren't they?

Could not agree more, I have read the studies on user behavior in terms of viewing of a website and agree that users are drawn to the top of the page-that is the reason we have branded the top left corner and have our important news section in the top right.

Main navigation is on the right, yeah it's a little unconventional but it's still easy to see how to get to the other pages.

Do you consider all websites which do not have top navigation (Like ski.com.au) difficult to navigate?

Snowflirt is a great website I agree, and maybe once we have been around for a couple more years we will be at their level.

Thanks for your feedback,

James
    Snowlife.com.au

#41 James@Snowlife, Aug 1, 2007
  42. D-eye

If all your navigation was on the right it wouldn't be so bad, but except for the front page you have part of it on the right and part of it on the left, it will confuse people.

#42 D-eye, Aug 1, 2007
  43. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    Some conventions however may well be uselful in that science of information design shows readability as key in how information is conceptualised and retained for future reference. There are some rules that apply to on-line reading as opposed to hard copy reading that are best not broken for however much design can be implemented into something, the science behind human physical and other character remains the same everywhere. I can remember working for a dot com who paid someone $15000 to design a site which I then edited and they implemented. The original design (expensive) lacked important considerations from readability and usability, through to marketing. There are some web designers getting paid for sub standard work.

44. wanabsnobuni

wanabsnobuni First Runs

Hmm, i have super slow dial up and seemed to take a fair while to load. Will have a look when i have more time. But for some reason this is the fastest website using my computer, bigpond being the slowest, HA.