(New) Snowmaking strategies at Baw Baw?

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by snowgum, Jun 28, 2017.

1. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

With real (sky) snow in short supply and snow-making seemingly struggling as of 28/7), I'm wondering if any gurus/techs/ops can suggest what else can/should good ol' Bawbs to improve its quantity and placement of snow, so that more skiers/boarders lured more often?

Some ideas (many suggested by others here in past years):

- design a scheme for accessing cheaper & ideally more electricity so that urgent/future guns can be accommodated. This will need a grant from the state, much like the newer dam funded at Hotham.

- buy more guns (as always) and better pumps (see elec comment above), and run them up the whole of the summit and Champagne runs to ensure at least two longer blueish runs can open. Remove rocky outcrops & any other obstacles (its a resort afterall!) to ski on shallow snow cover.

- automate snowmaking asap - too many small windows with wet bulb temps at ,~ or just below -2c seem to pass with no snowmaking occurring (reported).

- buy another groomer to spread all this extra white goodness (even an decent second hand one if need be - Buffalo anyone??)

- buy a big slushie machine - as per Lake Mtn & Buller (yes more grants), & use as much as possible through the season. When able top up the toboggan run etc... or get a small second unit in due course.

- blitz the marketing of the (hopefully) improved snow cover. Start with more cameras and place them on ski runs, not just around the village.

- release snow reports earlier in the day (9-9:30 am is way too late for day skiers - they'll already be heading for Buller, Stirling or Lake Mtn by then!

- be realistic with lifts likely to open - ie. If Painted Tbar & Big Hill poma are NEVER going to open (short of a 2m 1981 dump) then say & state the total as 5 lifts not 7.

- importantly, start researching now and release a (Master) plan to state what needs doing to attract skiers, the costs of said options, a rough timeline, and importantly for Gippsland struggling post Hazelwood, the benefits (inc jobs x days) of the enacting the plan vs the loss/ risks of not doing so.

- there's a whole green space/season thingy too - but its winter - so I'll leave that for another time.

- A big thank you from me / Ski & snow community to anyone who provide any details as to the likelihood of any of the above options happening and ideally, current progress/plans toward the same.

cheers, Keen Baw Bawer.

Vertikar likes this.
  2. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

All good ideas
    All required

No money..........

Bb would do well to look at what Corin has achieved ......

3. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

At the risk of sounding negative. Last night is a case in point:

8 cm fresh at Bawbs overnight as of 30/6 but Bawbs is the last major resort to report.

More importantly, its been 12 hrs since the wet bulb dipped below -2c & yet reports say snowmaking on standby! And state schools break for 2 weeks tonight!

So I ask again - what the hell is going on in the snowmaking ops? What are they saying / not saying? Is it budget? Elec or water supply? Staff? equipment fault? Disinterest?
    All of the above??

I remind everyone that even Lake Mtn appeared to make real snow last night!!!