new south face road open?

Fluffy beanie

One of Us
May 31, 2000
Melbourne
Anyone know if the new south face rd is open yet? The road I am talking about is the dirt road from rawson to the Baw Baw gate.

I read a few months ago that it would be open April 2008, and I would love to go for a drive up there next week if it is fully open.

Kellys

First Runs
Feb 5, 2003
Mt Baw Baw
Fluffy Beanie, The road is not officially open yet, but most of it can be travelled on now!
Just drive from the Erica end until you reach a locked gate across the road, turn left immediately before that gate.
This is Buddy's Track, follow for approx 3 km then turn right at the T intersection with Tanjil Bren Road, follow this road for approx 6 km to Baw Baw tourist road, turn right and Baw Baw village is 8 km up the hill!
Then call in and say hello!
The roads are gravel, but in good condition and suitable for any 2 wheel drive car!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Kahanamoku

One of Us
Sep 9, 2003
Traralgon
Visit site
the best thing about SFR opening up the whole way is that most of it is soo damn wide that even if trees fell down in a storm, they would only take up half the road!

That, and I can head up for a slide on a sunday morning, and be back to rawson by noon for my paintball club day!

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
It is a magnificent 25 minute drifting drive that will polish insides of your mudguards with the coarse gravel, eh K?
Lots of long sweepers, should stay open all winter.

Claret

First Runs
Jul 3, 2007
Hi Guys/Gals,

Baw Baw virgin here ..... If I was to head up for a day from Melbourne is it still better to take the road via Noojee or this South Face road?

Cheers

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
No chain hire at Rawson (I think?)
More petrol, less strain. Maybe go back home through Icy Creek.

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
Maybe the old way if the new snow is very low.
IMG_1493.jpg

Kellys

First Runs
Feb 5, 2003
Mt Baw Baw
G'Day Claret
The South Face Road is definitely quicker, although a tad longer, and less strain on vehicle, driver and passengers! (particularly beneficial if kids are prone to car sickness)
Even from Ringwood, hop on the Eastlink to Monash, turn off at Moe, through Erica to S F Road, just be aware of loose gravel!

Kahanamoku

One of Us
Sep 9, 2003
Traralgon
Visit site
bawbawbel said:
No chain hire at Rawson (I think?)
More petrol, less strain. Maybe go back home through Icy Creek.

Maybe stop thinking and find some facts...

Chain hire is available from the Rawson General store. they only have 15" wheel size though, and they request them being returned at 4pm...

Squidgy

First Runs
Aug 1, 2008
Hi all,
the South Face Road is THE BEST way to get to Baw Baw from Melbourne or Gippsland. I travel from Warragul and find it is soooo much better. Easier, safer and no throwing up in the back seat. You must have wheel chains for Baw Baw or they wont let you in. They even fit to 4WD sometimes. You have to them for Gwinear too. Dont listen to the guy at Rawson General Store, the cops were checking for wheel chains last weekend. The guy in Erica has diamond chains for Baw Baw, even has chains for 4WD

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
First time up the S.F. road for me on Sunday.It's a slightly easier drive in terms of twists and turns, but it is definitely further- 160 kms from my place in outer Eastern Melb took 2 hrs 5mins.I drove home through Neerim Sth- 2hrs and 135 kms.So I can't see much advantage.

Fluffy beanie

One of Us
May 31, 2000
Melbourne
I finally ended up driving on the south face road the other day. Very nice little road. I like the width and there is plenty of space for cars to pass.

But I wasn't impressed with the little areas with soft clay that dotted the road which made my little 2wd drift a little. Next time I will take the 4x4 and hopefully I wont have such issues.

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
chriscross said:
First time up the S.F. road for me on Sunday.It's a slightly easier drive in terms of twists and turns, but it is definitely further- 160 kms from my place in outer Eastern Melb took 2 hrs 5mins.I drove home through Neerim Sth- 2hrs and 135 kms.So I can't see much advantage.

Longer, but less travel time chrisscross, I suspect it might even be easier on fuel, going via Noojee, etc, there is a lot of 3rd and 2nd gear work.
I intend to do a comparison soon, (Up & back on each road and see how much it costs to top up the tank)

Kahanamoku

One of Us
Sep 9, 2003
Traralgon
Visit site
Fluffy beanie said:
But I wasn't impressed with the little areas with soft clay that dotted the road which made my little 2wd drift a little. Next time I will take the 4x4 and hopefully I wont have such issues.

Been up in a 2WD, 4WD and AWD... mud/clay does the shimmy to all of them... just learn to enjoy the drift!

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
Long stretches of snow on SFR this morning (Monday) reduced speed considerably in a 2wd.
Then a broken chain meant going to Tanjil Bren anyway. (Ticket Office have chains for $120 (great price) but had sold out of the size.
Tanjil not only got a complete restock of new chains but service with capital S.

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
Hi everyone...

The South Face Road is the only way to go for us living in the Latrobe Valley. It has helped me go up to BB a couple of times this year to make myself less of a 'beginner'...
smile.gif

The last time we were up there (10/8) they had to close the road from the entry because it got icy... you don't tend to get ice on a gravel road so the SFR can b an alternative way home if it get too bad...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass