New Sugar chair for Remarks this summer?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Draizuh, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Theres a resource consent coming up online for a replacement chair and new trail development in the sugar bowl. Word on the street is a 6 Pack Express straight out of the main car park.

ScottGN, soza, Tanuki and 1 other person like this.
  2. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

3. Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - 30 Day

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  4. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Doolan's!
    The name that was never to be spoken out loud!LOL
    Really exciting news
    I wonder if they'll keep the existing Sugar lift
    Chondola experiment at Cardies has obviously been a success if they're replicating at Coronet
    Might grab a Gondola myself on those bitterly cold Southerly days- the current Express can be wicked cold

5. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Actually it sounds as if the gondolas will be used for summer tourism and not much in wind.

6. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

[​IMG]

Unfortunately more uninspired trails coming from NZski. Totally killing fall line, the best damn run on the hill.

Zimbooo likes this.
  7. Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Kiwi resorts have done a lot of improvements over the last ten years and doesn’t sound like stopping anytime soon

8. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

I was happy when I received their email this morning about the lifts................but that looks stupid!
    And where to the racers practice gates if they cut a run across "fall line"?

9. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

this is my biggest complain. fall line is my favourite run on the hill! only decent consistent fall line... hence the name!

10. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yep, no drama with the run down the outside of stash, but the other is just stupid. Surely they could just build a cat track from near the bottom of the existing lift down to the new lift base?

11. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Its all about attracting new markets ;) they are catering to intermediates. i guess the excuse would be the upgraded shadow chair.. maybe they might finally do something better on waterfall face below shadow. and i guess if they are serious in the doolans its gonna have plenty of good terrain.

ScottGN likes this.
  12. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Wonder if homeward will ever get a lift (even a old one)?

13. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

I worked up there a few years back and they were talking about putting a express quad to the top of the chutes and putting the old shadow chair out homeward.

I also wonder if the coronet express chair will get refurbished and become shadow express??

Zimbooo likes this.
  14. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

I had a random thought some years ago that a chondola type lift up shadow to the lookout over Queenstown would be a tourist winner in all seasons. Much better view than the new lift locked in for Coronet. But hey, Coronet is close to town.

15. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Its actually incredible how many people go up there just to see a ski resort even in summer. I go up there after work in spring for a tour and there is usually a good 20 or so people just milling around, looking at snow, the view etc. with the paragliding and the biking on offer up there its pretty good place to hang out and the bonus is its usually alot cooler than town in summer!

16. Whatever really

Whatever really Hard Yards

I’m in two minds, I honestly love the Remarks just the way it is.
    It’s far from perfect but it’s this that gives the people with local knowledge the upper hand on where to go when it’s good and where rarely gets tracked out on a good day.
    Access to the Doolans would be great but kill a lot of it’s Beauty the same if they put a chair into Wye.
    It’s really a resort that favors those willing to boot pack or skin a little further off the lift.

17. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Doesnt really matter, you can always boot and skin further. its a big mountain range and doolans right branch is only one tiny basin :)

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  18. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Beginner Intermediates is where the bucks are and they will wring every blue run out of the ski lease they can
    I give thanks for 25 years of solitude in the Stash so all good things come to an end
    But my boys will enjoy riding a comfortable lift to the top of the terrain parks in Sugar hopefully for as long as I've enjoyed the soft piste up there

19. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Sorry all, I'm a bit of an interested bystander here. I get to Remarks every few years. Last visit was 2016 so I saw The new big chair in action (Alta?). But alas I haven't boot packed to the top to Check out Doolans et al.

Has anyone got access to a map of the back side of Remarks, and even better, a crayola line of where a lift might be installed?

Playing devil's advocate here: I'm guess snow might last quite well in Doolans being south or southeast facing - especially compared to the front bowls which seem to catch a lot of sun (by NZ studs), heat up and get quite sticky (more so than say Cardrona or Saddle Basin).

All in all - an exciting development - esp. for older skiers getting a tad jaded skiing the same slopes every year or two. (;-)

20. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Well this was my thoughts on how it should go a few years ago but their new realigned sugar chair doesnt really fit into that.

[​IMG]

i based it off this somewhat offical document that was used for the Curvey basin chair resource consent.
    [​IMG]

The new sugar chair would work with where ive placed a quad chair in the top right of the image but the proposed alignment still requires a chair over the ridge unless they are still going ahead with the tunnel idea in which case its probably not a terrible place to put it.

21. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Interesting map!

Clearly quite a large area - up to 500 m vert so be a good leg (tele) workout.

The saddle taking the access chair would be pretty gusty much of the time - can understand investigating a tunnel.

Not sure, a tunnel would be allowed in Vic or NSW but perhaps NZ DOC works differently??

I Assume this will take a year or two to plan /approve??

22. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Possibly a dumb idea but why not a surface lift from the top of Curvey or Sugar to the ridge? At least to start with.