New Sugar chair for Remarks this summer?

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Ohai/Nightcaps. Close to good mountains too. But not a place to raise the kids.
What I really meant was if people are complaining about rents in Twizel etc, where are they leaving to?
Maybe Christchurch?
But Auckland Wellington Dunedin....please

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
What I really meant was if people are complaining about rents in Twizel etc, where are they leaving to?
Maybe Christchurch?
But Auckland Wellington Dunedin....please
House prices are tanking in chch due to post eq construction glut.

Dunedin is booming, great place to live, average house price exceeding chch. I was in Auckland and Wellington over the weekend, mrs is currently working in Welly, but I couldn't live in either city.

Dunedin's only real draw back is being an hour too far from lift accessed snow, but there's plenty of touring closer.

Reactions: Dumphfish

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
House prices are tanking in chch due to post eq construction glut.

Dunedin is booming, great place to live, average house price exceeding chch. I was in Auckland and Wellington over the weekend, mrs is currently working in Welly, but I couldn't live in either city.

Dunedin's only real draw back is being an hour too far from lift accessed snow, but there's plenty of touring closer.

You forgot to mention Dunedins climate as a draw back cold, wet and drizzly and crappy for most of the year.

Reactions: craighelo

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
We've had this discussion so many times before!
If you own a car there's still places to live in the Lakes Area that are beautiful and not necessarily expensive
Is there anywhere in NZ these days where housing is cheap?

I think you'll find places in NZ that are cheap are not desirable spots to live.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I'd live in Wellington in a heart beat.
Marlborough would be nice too.
Not sure i'd go back to Auckland.. its just a try-hard version of sydney

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Back to the general area in question..........you would be fark'n mad IMO to pay $700k+ for a standard house in Mack that is 2 hours drive to the closest hospital. Someone is making big coin on the back of nothing. Shouldn't no services mean lower prices? Certain supermarkets in oz think so. LOL

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Back to the general area in question..........you would be fark'n mad IMO to pay $700k+ for a standard house in Mack that is 2 hours drive to the closest hospital. Someone is making big coin on the back of nothing. Shouldn't no services mean lower prices? Certain supermarkets in oz think so. LOL
There's a hospital in Oamaru, or airlift to Dunedin or Christchurch if it's major. That's not the sort of shit people factor in when they are buying a holiday house that they'll Airbnb for 10 months a year. But for a town that was supposed to be bowled over, twizels done ok. It's the rowing regattas that keep the supermarkets (lol) going though, been that way ever since Ruataniwha opened.

Reactions: Zimbooo

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I always thought Twizel was a hole.
Bit like Waiouro . Cold AF

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Nah Twizel's all good. Real hardcase town, a fair whack of good kiwi punk music has its roots there. Still pretty eclectic.
Was moreso the cheap non insulated weather board houses ...
*obviously many of my poor memories of rural NZ were due to a tortured childhood of cups of tea with relatives in crappy little cold towns

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
There's a hospital in Oamaru, or airlift to Dunedin or Christchurch if it's major. That's not the sort of shit people factor in when they are buying a holiday house that they'll Airbnb for 10 months a year. But for a town that was supposed to be bowled over, twizels done ok. It's the rowing regattas that keep the supermarkets (lol) going though, been that way ever since Ruataniwha opened.
But it's not Airbnb that's going to enhanse the community, so it's bullshit economics?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
But it's not Airbnb that's going to build a new community.
I'm not sure Tekapo is community either ..
fact is..,, most of these joints are weekenders for rich crew from say Chch ..
(whom I'm related to)

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Was moreso the cheap non insulated weather board houses ...
*obviously many of my poor memories of rural NZ were due to a tortured childhood of cups of tea with relatives in crappy little cold towns
Twizel historically had two variations of ministry of works houses, engineers and workers homes. Oh and the single men's quarters (now the high country lodge)

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
I'm not sure Tekapo is community either ..
fact is..,, most of these joints are weekenders for rich crew from say Chch ..
(whom I'm related to)
Twizel hasn't really been a chch crowd destination historically. But yeah, mostly weekenders. There's more "community" there now than there's ever been (since the power scheme construction was finished).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass