1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

new things for 2016 season

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by kiter, Oct 4, 2015.

1. kiter

kiter One of Us

I heard that new snowmaking and a quad chair would be installed at the leichardt area. Is there any truth to this ? Does anyone have any official word for anything else on the cards for next year

2. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Perisher have DA approval for leichardt, quad chair, full size halfpipe and snowmaking. whether the new owners actually build it or not, we will just have to wait and see.

3. Huntervalleydan

Huntervalleydan Hard Yards

Is there anywhere that lists the approved DAs out of interest?

4. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There is a DA approved for most of the beginner runs at Smiggins to get snowmaking. It is part of a two stage project to cover all groomed terrain at Smiggins with snowmaking. I personally think this is the most likely project of winter 2016.

For the Leichhardt lift, the planning process still involves a fair bit of time and resources and we all know getting back from Mt P is one of the biggest pinch points in the resort, so it's hard to imagine them wasting their $$ planning for it and not following through. My guess it will happen, more a matter of how long it takes to get it done.

Huntervalleydan, the NSW Department of Planning has an alpine resorts section. My internet connections is a bit angry at the moment so not having much luck getting the links to work.

5. BlueHue

Last time I checked only a week or two ago they had DAs in for all you mention but none have yet been approved and are still being processed.

6. kiter

kiter One of Us

Pull your finger out nsw planners and get it on . Getting a quad and snowmaking in this area will really no natural snow proof perisher . they did
    A great job this year and having this will really be the icing on the cake

7. Gumbo

Gumbo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My bet is on smiggs first. Beginners terrain is more important than a pipe.

8. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

How about
    • A clock at each lift?
    • The lift name in a readable size font?
    • A sign that gives opening and closing time for the lift? With a white board for updates?
    This stuff is at every other os resort I have been to.

9. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

And altitude signs at the top and bottom of each lift. Just for the :nerd:'s amongst us.

nfip, Telemark Phat and skifree like this.
  10. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

There used to be clocks, now they are in the gates

11. skifree

?

12. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

surely we have enough places at Perisher for people to do acrobatic stuff?
    I'd reckon basic lifting and snowmaking are priorities

nfip, Ted Harper and Telemark Phat like this.
  13. D-eye

every gate has a clock, look at the display just before you get close enough for the pass to register

14. Gumbo

Gumbo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Friend told me smiggs will snow making first. I would put money on it. It will be big investment too...

15. Huntervalleydan

Huntervalleydan Hard Yards

I think more snow making at Smiggins is a great idea. I think Smiggins is great for families with people progressing from the first times through to become more competent on green runs. It really could be marketed a lot better that way.

Does anyone know if there are plans on consolidating lifts/t-bars where there are two operating next to each other? IE Burke & Wills, Blaxland & Wentworth and Mt Perisher (plus adding a couple more metres to be the highest lifted point in Australia). It seems to make sense to me from an efficiency point of view. Could the triple possibly be relocated over to Smiggins?

person s likes this.
  16. BlueHue

If the rumours you here are anything to go by, there is a high likelihood of the two Mt P chairs being consolidated into one high capacity lift. I hear all the necessary electrical infrastructure has already been put in place. How much longer they can keep the double on the go for seems questionable, same for Pretty Valley too!

No idea about consolidating all the duplex t-bars. Probably need to ensure other lifts have sufficient capacity first i.e. upgrade the quad to something bigger and you might be able to remove Blaxland/Wentworth.

As for Smiggins I'd love to see them go for a Friday Flat type setup for beginners with quad and snow runners instead of all the surface lifts. Maybe replace j bars with chair, leave the t-bar for windy days and put covers on the snow runners to make it more enjoyable experience for newbies.

17. skifree

Really? I'll have to have a look next season.

Still a proper clock I can see from a distance not when in the gate and committed to the lift would be better.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  18. neko

neko Hard Yards

Perisher (and the engaged 3rd party) really naffed up the environmental submissions for most of the works at Leichardt, especially the half pipe. The concerns raised over the proposals are valid - I suspect the chair and snowmaking will get done following some negotiations/compromises, I doubt the half pipe will ever eventuate there.

Given how badly they got the environmental information wrong for the half pipe, I'd say all Perishers submissions are under additional scrutiny at the moment.

They've got snowmaking approved at Smiggins so that'll possibly go in (or construction started at least), they've got an application in to relocate the pony ride carpet and put a cover over it which if gets approved will probably get done for 2016 also. Those aside, don't think anything major will get done.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  19. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

They replaced 2 towers on the double chair before the start of this season, indicating they are still prepared to spend money to keep it in service.

Also unless they put in a 6 chair it would be a step backwards in lifting capacity from the current setup. A high speed quad would lift less people per hour than the current setup at peak capacity. I would have thought a 6 pack would be difficult because of the wind situation.

20. BlueHue

Yeh if the two currently meet needs then maybe not so urgent. Capacity wise they seem to hold up, IME crowds on the Mt P chairs are not a big issue.

I wonder though about ongoing costs, if the double requires increased $$ compared to other chairs for maintenance along with extra costs of energy/lifties etc for running two lifts then economically over the long run a single more efficient lift would make more sense.

Upgrading the chairs there does not change the skiing anyway. Only problem I can see is if they add to much capacity with a new chair and Towers becomes too crowded. More snowmaking/grooming would then be required on other nearby areas of Mt P to take up the load.

21. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

The "plan" was for a high speed 6 to replace both Mt P chairs on the current double alignment, or close to it.
    I can't see any other option being viable.

As a lover of Smiggins with grandchildren, I really hope they get the snow-making there.
    I know its a big job, but being able to keep more lessons and beginners at Smiggins will reduce the strain on other areas when the natural snow cover is lacking.
    Better for the beginners and better for the advanced riders.

skifree likes this.
  22. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

I would love to see more snowmaking at Smiggins, especially on some of the popular blue runs such as Chair Runs and Blanchys. Also, while we're assembling our Christmas wish-list for Perisher, how about a duplex T bar for Happy Valley? Another choke point ... And I'm suggesting a duplex rather than chair thinking of ... wind hold!

23. skichic

skichic A Local

Yep on the card reader. I use them all the time. Good also for working out how many laps per hour you can squeeze in on Eyre ;)

24. skichic

skichic A Local

I would think a chair at Leichardt would solve that.

25. D-eye

Probably wouldn't be as quick for the round trip though

26. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

More snow-making at Smigs is a good idea.

With more altitude, I'd like to see Mt P linked to Front Valley earlier in the season.

Having Towers, V8 and Quad open to mid-station early, would get me to Perisher sooner in the season.

27. kiter

kiter One of Us

more snowmaking at smigs definitely has merit .

28. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    FIFY..........:D

29. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

isn't it getting a chair?

30. tonks

tonks Hard Yards

Just booked a week for late August/early September. Haven't been to Perisher for nearly 20 years

31. Normo

Good time to visit.First lifts at the V8 is very social. Get there early and say "hi" to some Desperados! :D

tonks likes this.
  32. tonks

tonks Hard Yards

That's the front valley chair, yeah? Would be good to meet up with some others, get a sense of where the best runs are at etc. I really don't remember much besides Smiggins, the front valley and a bit of Blue Cow

33. Normo

The scramble to get over to Mt P ASAP is quite exhilarating. Some choose to get to Roller Coaster and the Ridge Chair early. The Freedom Chair at Guthega is quite the attraction these days. Late August and early September is usually fully linked and a lot of fun. Could be some new stuff in 2016 that adds to the mix. You'll love it! :thumbs:

tonks likes this.
  34. tonks

tonks Hard Yards

Cool man. Really looking forward to it!

35. rx2

rx2 First Runs

I hadn't been for 33 years until 2010, quite a few changes in that time, with all the resort areas linked, but last few years there has been a lot of spring snow in early Sept.

#35 rx2, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  36. BlueHue

Leichhardt quad has been recommended for approval. Who knows though if they are ready and willing to act on that in the next year or two though.