1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

new to area, new to forum

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by soza, Jun 15, 2013.

1. soza

soza One of Us

Not sure if this should be in the general snow section or not but it is seeking info on FC mainly.

Moved down with the family from the north coast of NSW for a new job in Albury at the start of the year. One of the main draw cards was how close it is to the snow, been almost 15 years since me and the mrs would hit the European slopes annually and having spent a small fortune getting the 3 of us kitted out (Son age 6) we are looking forward to getting amongst it most weekends.
    This is our first taste of Aussie snow and we made one trip to Hotham and three to Falls last month when we had the snow. Got to try the new boards out, did the falling on the arse bit again and realised how much harder it is to trek the runs when you hit 40 so looking forward to the lifts opening. Heard lots of negative things about vic resorts prior to the move but that little dump in May was enough to get us optimistic as the resorts are perfect and easy to get too for us with Falls been the closest.
    I suppose what im looking for is advise on lift deals that make it affordable to get the snow most weekends with a couple of midweek stay overs in the late season.
    Falls is the closest and has a great feel so will be our main destination
    Now I realise its too late for the hero pass (next year its a no brainer) but I have heard talks of a locals/alpine pass?
    Also there seems to be 2 official falls creek sites (fallscreek.com and skifalls.com) so I am a but confused as they advertise different deals
    The ski any 5 days seems the best deal but to start with is the `beginners pass` $76 limited lifts pass still going as it is mentioned on one site but not the other?
    Also is the emergency services ski 3 for 2 deal still valid...great if it is as we both qualify for that.
    It doesn't look like there is a half day option? would be handy for parents sharing babysitting duties. Maybe with the snow pass it would be easy to accommodate these things. If not would sharing a snow pass with the other half for the day be a big no no ?

Lastly, do Aussie resorts offer different deals throughout the season...is it worth just playing it by ear especially as I have relatively easy access to all resorts both sides of the border. Wasn't there a ski til the end deal towards the end of last season for about $600? or a cheap Tuesday type thing

Season passes are out of the question at $1500 up front but I am sure we will hit the snow enough times to have made it cost effective. Planning on giving X country a go, loved buffalo in summer (we would drive up just for the sunrise) so want to get there for snow play and maybe a few trips to Hotham/Dinner Plain over the season. all up we are really looking forward and it has made the move leaving the surf of Byron behind so much easier having all this natural beauty on our doorstep......really is a great neck of the woods.

2. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

The two sites are run by different stakeholders.

fallscreek.com.au is operated by Resort Management Board.

skifalls.com.au is operated by the Lift Company

The RMB site represents all village businesses equally including the lift company - the deals are from different suppliers - of which the lift company is the only supplier of lift tickets.

The Lift Co site represents Lift Co owned businesses and interests exclusively. For lift ticket prices and information specifically I would take this site as gospel. The RMB site may not have updated fine detail and/or removed discontinued product re ticketing.

With the move to RFID tickeing the last couple of seasons we are starting to see more variety and flexibility of ticketing product from all the major resorts and yes they are starting to offer different deals throughout the season depending on how snow and visitation pans out. Buller (and Hotham I think) were offering cheap Tuesday last year.

So... I would keep an eye on both sites but would expect new ticketing product for Falls Creek to break on skifalls.com.au first.

3. soza

soza One of Us

thanks mate, makes a bit more sense now. Couldn't understand if one was last years site and the other new for the 2013 season

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure if they offered the Valley pass and Border pass this year since the hero pass is such good value. but it closes before the season starts anyway.

If the snowmaking gets enough snow made before the end of June, there is talk of a very good beginners package at Falls Creek that would make it very attractive to make lots of return visits. I don't think it has been officially announced yet so all I'll say is to keep watching skifalls.com.au. It was only intended to be offered in June.

last year the lift company spoke a lot about the need to be "nimble" when offering ticket deals. with the new RFID system I think we will see more of that approach - but not necessarily in peak season. I think they will use it to get more people to come up at less popular times and for longer stays.

Another very affordable option is to mix up downhill skiing days with xc days. Falls Creek has extensive xc trails that are free. you'd be up for hire gear, but it's a lot less than the cost of day tickets.

You should also look at getting a season resort entry pass for the car. details will be at fallscreek.com.au.

5. Pademelon

Pademelon Hard Yards

They offered the valley pass this year, presumably the border pass as well. But, must be bought before 30 April. You should get on their mailing list for next year.