1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

New transit provider at Mt Buller

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by djam, Mar 15, 2019.

1. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Busing people from Mirimbah more permanently sounds like a good idea and a real step forward to allow people to avoid driving the mountain road themselves. It's probably a win for everyone overall. Although the nice grassy park down at Mirimbah is going to look a bit like the somme by the end of the winter if that is where they are proposing to park the cars of people using the service. But that may be a small price to pay if it means skiers and boarders can actually get into the day car park after 10am on weekends this year.

FatBoyDave and Bogong like this.
  2. teckel

teckel Not a Loser Ski Pass: Gold

8 'peak' weekends: DAY VISITORS ONLY - Get to the snow cheaper and easier! Park at Mirimbah Park at the base of Mt Buller then hop onto the Snowplay Express, direct to the Mt Buller Village. No need to carry wheel chains. Available on Saturday or Sunday from 6 July to 25 August. Not available for overnight guests.

So, definitely targeted at snowplayers.
    Could impact Lake Mountain! Except I doubt they could handle LM numbers on their toboggan slope.

Chaeron and blueandwhite like this.
  3. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

Totally agree. RMB seem to be listening to what the stakeholders want.

Chaeron likes this.
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yep they will need to do something about that.

Whiteman and Chaeron like this.
  5. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    I think there was a fair degree of scepticism last night around the new system at the Ratepayers meeting in Melb but I have to say I feel pretty optimistic.

There will be challenges this season but as I see it (if it hasn't already been said in this thread) Travelsafe is a logistics company with a lot of tech available. They will bring in the providers. They can monitor Village shuttles and see if buses are overloaded and divert another shuttle to ease load. They can GPS your car so if there's a huge dump and you cant remember excatly where you parked they will know, etc, etc, etc. I think the Snowplay express might actually be cheaper than noted above if you book online - its a real win for day trippers if they can get the message out there

All in all I think I'm optimistic about the future of transit at Buller (but then I'm always a glass half full kind of guy......)

mx_boarder and CarveMan like this.
  6. luvthabumps

did a lot of work over summer on the gravel roads and will be rolling gravel into the parking areas pre winter that will still allow grasses to grow through but will stabilise the area so it won't be a mudpit (according to the CEO)

7. wolly

wolly One of Us

How does that work?

8. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Agree. The communication of it is key though. Especially for your first time day trippers. Has to be simple and easy.

Bogong likes this.
  9. djam

djam One of Us

If you book, they have your details and where you are picked up, at your car, on the
    return trip they can take you back to the same location.

Chaeron likes this.
  10. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

On a purely selfish note what would be very helpful for us would be a 'tram tracker' type app that tells me when the next bus is going to arrive (or even better leave) the day car park. That way if it's 15 minutes wait then I can keep the kids in the warm in the car until the bus is arriving rather than stand in the freezing cold with them waiting. Hopefully this is included in their plans - sounds like it may be. A digital bus stop at the day car park and also the village pick up point with a display of ETA for the next few buses would also be a good step forward but I can't imagine that will be happening for logistical reasons.

At least they are looking to bring the service out of the dark ages and into the 20th century so I give them credit for that. It's first world problems really but nice to see things move forward. There just seemed to be very little rhyme nor reason as to how long you'd wait for a bus or how long you'd sit on a bus waiting for it to leave last year. Even if that continues the addition of some sort of real time information will be a real positive for regular users.

nezumi likes this.
  11. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

From an environmental perspective, I would love to see more consideration given to mass transit options, whether that is park and ride, buses from the CBD, etc.
    At the moment, for a family it is probably more cost effective to drive up the hill and park, even when you factor in the cost of chains/depreciation/etc. This applies to all the resorts in Victoria, even in the face of the exorbitant daily entry fees.

When I went to Falls with my wife and 18 months old in 2017, it worked out cheaper to do the park and ride option from Mt Beauty, but this was only because the kiddo was free as a lap infant. It also introduced the problems of getting our things to our accommodation (staying at Chorki, so no point using the oversnow, but it meant a long walk from the bus terminal up to the accommodation) and issues storing our gear before being able to check in.

I'm headed to Buller for the first time this year (3 nights) and I anticipate having everything I need for the trip in a small day pack, so I don't feel like the cost of the return taxi service to accommodation is warranted (especially as I am staying just off the main village area)

12. travelislife

Not sure what you mean by 'just off the main Village area'. It's generally a looong walk uphill from the overnight carparks at Buller, nearly impossible to avoid the taxi's if staying overnight unless you have a village pass.

13. nezumi

What I mean is that, with the small bag, it's not onerous for me to walk from the drop off of the village shuttle to the accommodation. If I were staying somewhere further in the village like Grimus or SCV, I could see the benefit of the taxi service, but in my situation it's redundant.

Surely day trippers coming up from Mansfield etc use the village shuttles without issue, even if they are skiing multiple days and bringing a backpack with lunch etc?

14. travelislife

But how are you getting to the day bus from the overnight car park (different to day car parks). It might be fine if you are in one of the upper car parks with a shortish walk over to the toboggan slope to get the bus, but in one of the lower car parks it would be a long walk.

The day trippers from Mansfield would be parking in the day car park (where the free village shuttle bus stop is). Those staying overnight are generally directed to different car parks. Though the overnight lower Tyrol is easily walkable to the snow play area, or can just ski straight to the lifts if the snow is good.

nezumi likes this.
  15. nezumi

Fair point - having not been to Buller before, I'm not familiar with the car park locations or the actual terrain. One potential option is travelling to Buller by bus, rather than driving. Unfortunately the cost of a bus from Mansfield is almost as much as from the CBD, so park and ride isn't a great option.

My hope was that, if we did drive, we would either be somewhere where we could access the village shuttle, or alternatively close enough that I could catch the Northside Express up the hill and snowboard down to the village.

16. travelislife

Look, it’s definitely possible to do what you are saying (just some variables in play, you may get lucky you may not!), but considering the taxi fare is only $14.40 I think you are over thinking it. Also quite amazed for 3 nights you will only have a small day pack!? Look forward to hearing the reports on how you go.

currawong and nezumi like this.
  17. nezumi

I've done a bit of a test pack already, but essentially I am going the route of having as much as possible worn on the way to the hill, or at least on arrival - so that means wearing thermals and mid layer, bibs and jacket, having snowboard boots on and carrying my board.

The only thing I anticipate actually carrying in my backapck is socks and jocks, a spare set of thermals, pyjamas, apre boots and maybe a t-shirt and hiking pants or shorts (to be worn over thermals) for the lodge.Add some simple toiletries on top of that, and I'm set.

travelislife likes this.
  18. djam

djam One of Us

Just updating the times for the Snowplay Express, it is every 30 minutes but can be every
    15 minutes if demand picks up.

19. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Habitual line stepper Ski Pass: Gold

So we're less than two weeks from QBWE - current status?

20. djam

djam One of Us

pissing down here atm, not cold until you add in the wind chill, then makes it -10° or so.

21. Chux-sw

Chux-sw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

https://www.mmbl.com.au/index.php/site/winterservice has been updated for 2019 season.

nezumi likes this.
  22. travelislife

nezumi and xuěboarder like this.
  23. wolly

wolly One of Us

Gate entry, overnight parking , chain hire , taxi fare for one person adds to to more than 1 ticket for the bus

Chux-sw likes this.
  24. Chux-sw

Chux-sw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Day trip is line ball, if chains aren't need on the day I drive. Overnight is a no brainer IMO
    Day trip cost
    Resort Entry - $46.40
    Chain hire - $25.00
    Fuel Mansfield - mt. buller rtn - $15 (guesstimate)
    Total - $86.40

To drive for 2 nights
    Resort Entry - $46.40
    Overnight parking - $54.40
    Taxi from o/night to accom return - $36
    Chain hire - $40.00
    Fuel Mansfield - mt buller rtn - $15
    Total $191.80

25. travelislife

True, for overnighter, and especially extended it does appear to make sense.
    For a day trip there is a cost of convenience as well. Own chains so wouldn't have that cost.

26. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Well it's going to be interesting to see how the shuttle buses from the day car park to the village pan out this year. After Saturday's chaos where we didn't even get up to the village from the car park Sunday was much better. There were way less people around which was the primary driver to it actually working and we had a great day.

However, I'm not sure if the new coaches that they used on Sunday (as opposed to the low floor buses last season) are just for this week - or if this is the way they are going to do it in for the whole of the season proper. We've seen first hand the issues with the day car park buses over last season - we used the service most days of the season - and I feel pretty comfortable saying that if they use these coaches on busy days in the season it is going to be a disaster for day punters. Hopefully this is just a stop gap until the season starts proper.

27. djam

djam One of Us

The low floor buses arrive today or tomorrow.

blueandwhite likes this.
  28. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

This is good news. I wasn't sure if the coaches were a permanent measure or not. Sounds like they've got it under control :)

29. luvthabumps

and, in fairness to the new provider, IIRC from the ratepayers meeting,I think this week was scheduled as training week and now they're live already

blueandwhite likes this.
  30. blueandwhite

blueandwhite One of Us

Transport from the day car park was okay over the weekend. Pretty much identical to last year but with silver buses now, but credit where it's due we really didn't have to wait long at either end even after the fireworks which is normally a bunfight.

31. CarveMan

Line to get down at 3pm Saturday was long but no longer than previous.

32. wolly

wolly One of Us

I believe most businesses were given a heads up about it ipening a week early

33. Goon_Squad

Goon_Squad Hard Yards

Was pretty terrible today. Raining heavily so that no doubt blew up the number of people leaving early. I called to book at 10am and could only get voicemail, after 3 more tries it went engaged, couldn't get through at all. So I gave up and bussed it down to the overnight carpark.

Friends of ours were reliant on the taxi, they had a 1.5hr wait!

Not a good start to the season. On the plus side, the buses were not too bad but there regularly seemed to be 3 at once, with the one in front picking up everyone and slowing the others down.

34. 2ndeffort

2ndeffort Hard Yards

Buses were shambolic on the weekend. 2 Village shuttles were literally dropped off the night before. The smaller of the 2 had an internal alarm going off the whole time, driver didnt know what it was for and the automatic door wasnt working either. No ski/board racks fitted to the rear of the bus so folks had to bring them all onboard, upholstery wont last long. Taxis in/out were also poor. Fri night we had a 45 min wait for a taxi, not the worst I've had but the traffic/demand was nowhere near school holiday levels.

On the way down yesterday there were long waits, passed loads of people sitting on their luggage in the rain complaining. The 'App' didnt work for me at all so I rang up. My bus arrived on time after the hour long delay the phone guy warned me about, I though they had turned a corner and got out OK. When i got home I called my son (he is staying up for the week for an APSI course), he told me that an hour after i left somebody came to the door of the lodge looking for me for my shuttle down. It appears i was picked up by the wrong driver and taken to my car, the guy that was meant to get me arrived an hour late and i was already gone.

skiflat and nezumi like this.
  35. praewarn

praewarn Hard Yards

Anyone seen any good deals on electric scooters yet :)

36. ski2much

ski2much Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

In this mornings herald sun. Found at coffee shop - would not want anyone to think I had bought a newspaper!

skiflat likes this.
  37. nezumi

Especially not that paper >.>

currawong and Seth like this.
  38. kasper

kasper Hard Yards

Well Travel safe are still advertising on SEEK for bus drivers...so clearly they don't have enough drivers yet.... always going to be teething problems hopefully they sort it out. Luckily they will have benign snow conditions in the coming weeks.
    Hopefully they get it right before peak July/August.

39. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Attached Files:

40. wolly

wolly One of Us

popcorn may be needed

41. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

Travel safe may be struggling... but any thing is better than the poor/over priced service MMBL provided for too many years.

They never cared or looked after the customer.

It’s pretty hard to contract with someone if they never tendered for the service.

42. Whiteman

Whiteman A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Well I reckon a lot of people from last weekend would disagree, and it isn't likely to improve much over the rest of the season.

MMBL at least provided a reasonable service, owned all their own vehicles which were good for the conditions, and employed locals in what is a short 10-14 week season.

Why would you tender when the lift company are openly hostile towards you, and the RMB haven't got a clue what their doing.

43. mx_boarder

Geez

Might just be easier to bite the bullet on an apartment/permit combo.

DbSki and CarveMan like this.
  44. luvthabumps

speak to SCV ;)

mx_boarder and CarveMan like this.
  45. CarveMan

Spend a few hundred grand plus $10k+ per year on rates/permit to skip $28 taxi fares. That's my kind of logic!

Jellybeans, LiveToSki, Seth and 3 others like this.
  46. mx_boarder

Yep, a very good option if you can get in. Pete S loves it.

47. mx_boarder

Wanchornomics :thumbs::thumbs:

Seth and CarveMan like this.
  48. luvthabumps

I don't believe it's all that difficult to get one. I know of many who do it. Would be worth in inquiry.

mx_boarder likes this.
  49. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty

And one in the right location to fit a snow cam to.

50. CarveMan

I thought about putting one on at my place but not sure if I have a view that would add much value. Better to just contribute to the village square

mx_boarder and DbSki like this.