New triple Chairlift at Selwyn

shadow1

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2008
What is the new chairlift at Selwyn about? When are they installing
it and where?

B

BourkeStreetMaul

"Selwyn Snowfields has recently become the proud new owner of a Doppelmayr Triple Chairlift. The new chairlift will interset the resort stright down the middle replacing the current Township T-Bars and Powerline Poma and is the first major lift upgrade project the resort has undertaken since the installation of the New Chum Chairlift in 1988.

The second hand lift purchased from Mount Buller will be completely reconditioned prior to its installation which is planned for November 2008 with a scheduled opening for Winter 2009 and will become the longest lift at Selwyn Snowfields at 702 metres in length"

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
It took them 6 months to announce that they had bought the lift (which everyone already knew), but they finally announced details of the route 3 weeks ago. From the Selwyn website:

Selwyn Snowfields purchases Triple Chairlift. By Christie Glasson

Monday, 31 March 2008

Selwyn Snowfields has recently become the proud new owner of a Doppelmayr Triple Chairlift. The new chairlift will interset the resort stright down the middle replacing the current Township T-Bars and Powerline Poma and is the first major lift upgrade project the resort has undertaken since the installation of the New Chum Chairlift in 1988.

The second hand lift purchased from Mount Buller will be completely reconditioned prior to its installation which is planned for November 2008 with a scheduled opening for Winter 2009 and will become the longest lift at Selwyn Snowfields at 702 metres in length.

The dual loading lift will bring a variety of benefits to the resort including an increased lifting capacity meaning smaller queues and less waiting for guests. Beginners will love the ease of riding a chairlift as opposed to the current surface lifts but is sure to be a wecome addition to the resort by all visitors alike.

The greatest benefit of the new lift is the ability to optimise the snow produced on Township and therefore increase the duration of operation for the run. "Thousands of cubic metres of snow are lost every year from pushing snow off the Township run onto the lifting tracks of the T-Bars", says Bob Heatley, resort Director. "This action thins the cover and encourages a faster melt rate. The new chairlift negates the requirement to maintain lift tracks and therefore preserves the snow on the run resulting in a longer operational period." The resort estimates that an additional 2 weeks of operation would have been possible in 2007 if the chairlift had been installed.

The same can be said for the popular runs of Long Arm and Kangaroo Ridge with snow often "farmed" off these runs to maintain the lift track on the north-easterly facing Powerline Poma lift track. This will also be a task of the past resulting in a longer season for these two runs also.

The resort is currently preparing for the installation in November with many tasks and challenges ahead before the first footing can be poured. "Probably the biggest challenge is the burial of 200 metres of high voltage powerlines which currently intersect the proposed chairlift route", says Jack Glasson, Environmental Manager.

The chairlift completes the first phase of a 5 year lift enhancement plan which will see Selwyn Snowfields' terrain double in size. General Manager, Christie Glasson says, "It's an exciting time for the resort with some big changes ahead in our future and I'm confident that our guests, both new and returning, will really like what we have in store."

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Can understand their reasoning but I can't see how it will increase visitation. I guess if they are right about the extra 2 weeks then that is extra patrons.

The lift down the back side of Mt Selwyn sort of parallel with Race Course but to lift to a higher point should open a range of genuine intermediate terrain there and will generate some real interest so I guess that will happen sometime in the next 5 years??

Anyone selling more 2nd hand triples? Gully and or Eagle come to mind at Falls if they realign those lifts and make it one.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Thunda

First Runs
Mar 24, 2007
Wollongong
ausi ski bum said:
When are the expanding beyond the race course, I thought they had a T Bar in storage for out there.

I hope they do expand up there. Maybe put a dedicated terrain park in!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SCHUSS SKI TEAM

One of Us
May 24, 2004
The great thing is that every 2nd hand lift that Selwyn purchases from other resorts can be cut in half and in half again to my 4 new lifts from one old lift. How long was the original ABOM Chairlift at Buller? About double the length of this one?

Good work Selwyn, keep up that good job. Good to see this sort of reinvestment. And also good to see that the Australian snow industry is still alive and well/looking at expansion.

Wizard!

One of Us
Feb 21, 2008
Its a good lift, ive only had it break down on me once. It took 15 minutes to start back up and it was -5 and a little windy. Because of the direction of the wind one of the nearby snow guns was giving me a blasting for the entire time. I couldn't feel my face or hands after that. The entire time i was saying to myself "Its too windy so hurry up and turn off the snow guns!"

shadow1

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2008
Perisher also sells their old lifts. The Pretty Valley triple was sold to Mt Dobson in New Zealand.

Principal Douglas

Big Fan
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
I thought the triple at Dobson had only been there a couple of years. The triple where the quad is now at Perisher was replaced 25 years ago

Edit: 22 years ago to be exact. Where has it been since then?

shadow1

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2008
I don't know where Mt Dobson got their Triple before they recently got it. I found out that Dobson's triple was originally from Perisher from the owners of Dobson.

Principal Douglas

Big Fan
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
Well there you go. It disappeared off the face of the earth, only to re-appear 20 years later. Does anyone know where it's been in the meantime?

Anyway, back on topic.... Selwyn rocks!

rollyz

One of Us
Jun 2, 2005
my own little world
Pitty, looking at the topomap, It wont be possible to extend the Chair to the top of Mt Selwyn itself. But, whats happening to the 3 old lifts? Will they open up more terrain around the back? Looking at the Topo, the Ridge line extends around to the South, and has a higher elevation, above 1600m. The slope is steeper also, this would be a great chance to create some more Advanced runs for Selwyn.

VSG, any chance of making a pic?

Megs

Hard Yards
Mar 22, 2006
Windsor NSW
I would have thought that they would have popped a chair over on the racecourse... could never understand how they have a green run where the only way out or back is to go up a black run T-Bar... granted it isn't the toughest black run I have come across but sometimes its the mental significance of a black run that can throw beginners off their game.... but it is great news that they are starting to update some of their facilities!!... maybe next they can work on that not so pleasant aroma outside of the ticket office!!.... one day... one little step at a time!!

doublet

First Runs
Apr 29, 2007
Uralla
Megs said:
maybe next they can work on that not so pleasant aroma outside of the ticket office!!.... one day... one little step at a time!!

laugh.gif
bit hard when that's the loos just there!

Megs

Hard Yards
Mar 22, 2006
Windsor NSW
I know Doubs!!!.... but a girl can only hope hey!!!! They tell me it can be fixed... but NPWS wont put their hand up and Selwyn can't do anything about it until NPWS get involved.... bureaucracy hard at work!! ;O)

Thunda

First Runs
Mar 24, 2007
Wollongong
I was there in July last year and the loos were much more pleasant than previous years. I was quite surprised.

agentBM

Part of the Furniture
Oct 27, 2000
Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
Is there an on-line topo map? I have a paper one....at home, but would like to see one on-line. I can't see one (map) at present, but isn't there a tele pole of some type on the nearby peak that eventual extensions are going towards at about 1700m? Will look at home.....got me thinking.

Megs

Hard Yards
Mar 22, 2006
Windsor NSW
I'm a little confused as to where exactly this lift is going to go..... 702m is a pretty fair distace... it doesn't feel like it is that far when you are skiing down Township... maybe I am wrong.... but are they taking it from the top of the Long Arm poma to the top of the Township T-Bar??... if they are is there going to be a mid station perhaps??? One to get you to the top of the long arm and going back the other way to the top of Township??? Or are they just chopping it in half???

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
from http://www.selwynsnow.com.au/templates/sel/page/page_html_standard.php?secID=141&riID=33
The new chairlift will interset the resort stright down the middle replacing the current Township T-Bars and Powerline Poma

The Township Tbars & Powerline Poma are on oppostie sides of the bowl. So if I am reading this correctly the lift will run something like the white line in this image I pulled from google earth. The length of this line is just over 700m
http://www.snapdrive.net/files/460493/forums/newselwynchair.jpg

If so, the chair is actually going down 1 slope, across the bottom of the bowl, then up the opposite slope.

This must be what they mean by "Dual Load". At the bottom there will be a load point to head up the Township run. Right next to it and facing the other way will be a load point to head up Tantangara Drive.

Ie Like a midstation on a "normal" chair that has both Up & Download. But at Selwyn the "midstation" will actually be at the bottom of the bowl and each end will be unload only.

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Mr Mook - yes same as Orchard at Hotham.

Snowkitter, they actually have a massive lease area and are using a small percentage of it. I believe the expansion will be in the area next to Racecourse. If you continue up the Township T-Bar line up the hill through the quarry that is actually Mt Selwyn that you are looking at. I believe the lifting will be from a few hundred metres up there down roughly parallel with Racecourse and continue lower. They have been planning this for as long as Thredbo have been planning GCB.

That is down into the valley and it gets very cold down there and is only vertically 20-50m lower.

The runs in that area would be genuine intermediate runs with an access trail from the top of Township/Racecourse to get to it and a return essentially straight down the spur to the top of Township/Racecourse.

Would significantly enhance Selwyn as a destination for a lot of people.

With access to 3 mile dam water for snowmaking shouldn't be an issue.

D

D16371

SCHUSS SKI TEAM said:
The great thing is that every 2nd hand lift that Selwyn purchases from other resorts can be cut in half and in half again to my 4 new lifts from one old lift. How long was the original ABOM Chairlift at Buller? About double the length of this one?

Good work Selwyn, keep up that good job. Good to see this sort of reinvestment. And also good to see that the Australian snow industry is still alive and well/looking at expansion.

The abom chairlift was as long as the new holden one. really long. Slow as shite haha

SnowAndrew

One of Us
Jun 18, 2008
Sydney
Personally ill rate it when i see it - sounds like it has potential for bottle necks at the bottom of the bowl - coz surely one will have to line up from each side of the station and be loading in different directions. It will take people a while to get used to lining up in the right spot. Also if someone falls off at one spot and the lift needs to be stopped then both stop at the same time...Isn't this a problem? Though i also wonder how it will perform in the wind, could they just run one side of it depending on the direction???

Hopefully it will work well though - Selwyn i enjoy it there but new lifts will be great just to update it a little...

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Solved by some simple signage and no different to issues that Orchard chair faces and the double loading point for perisher quad.

SnowAndrew

One of Us
Jun 18, 2008
Sydney
Ah point taken - i hadn't heard of the Orchard chair before this - I'm a NSW boy. I guess i just think of the Perisher Quad differently coz it continues but i see that its a very similar principle.

So then - I can't wait till they install it and it provides a much needed update to their lifting infrastructure. Cool that they have more terrain to expand into in the next few years - with their access to snowmaking water they are nearly set.

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
At first I thought the "double" loading points might be a problem as well, but then I realised that it would be much the same as just about any other long chairlift that has a mid station load & unload.

Phalanx

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2005
The reason the system in Hotham works is because it's out of the way of beginners, so there is less problems. In Selwyn you have the very opposite, which does make it a big problem (side loading is not so easy for someone who does not know how to use a chair). I know one of the manufactures has already recommend to them not to make it one lift (also because it means towers have to be closer, high requirements on the lift etc). Since they bought one second hand it's not so much of a problem, except with the age of the lift, they will have to do destructive testing on the lift.

SnowAndrew

One of Us
Jun 18, 2008
Sydney
Yeah beginners side loading - often it has to be really slow to allow that.
Why do the towers have to be closer together -coz people will be going opposite directions on completely different sections of the wire? i understand the high requirements on the lift - the thing i worry about is if it breaks down - that whole area is stuffed and unavailable once they remove all the other lifts. Is there enough pieces from the second hand lift to be able to rebuild it there, or do they have to get more towers and stuff??? Being oldish will it cope in being moved and the new requirements?

Destructive testing sounds fun.
tongue.gif

Phalanx

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2005
The more load you have on the lift, the more towers. They wanted to add more chairs to Ridge Chair in PB, but because they bought it cheap (cause they rejected the more expensive offers), they can not add more chairs cause the towers are too far apart. Since Selwyn bought the lift at it's length, they will get around most of the problem, but they still are going to have higher costs running it in the future that a new installation.

The destructive tests would be part of the requirements cause of the lifts age, but they will have other ones to cope with too. They are lucky they will not use the lift that much, as that allows them to keep the costs down.

silverwitch

Hard Yards
May 25, 2008
Canberra
I was talking to one of the blokes who works there and he told us about the BIG things that are coming.
1. The new chair (as you know) it will go from the top of car park -the other end to the center )to the top of township.With the mid station pick up area at the bottom of township.
2. New Center up that same far end with new toilets ( membrane system)
3. If all goes well with planning a Motel across the road on the other side of the carpark!
4. New tiolets ( membrane system) to replace old type (the stinky ones)
5. Open up some new areas on the other side from the top of township ( I am not exactly sure where) but on that other side.
Thought you might like to know!

SnowAndrew

One of Us
Jun 18, 2008
Sydney
That sounds interesting - i was wondering where the new areas would be and whether they would do other upgrades as well...

Thunda

First Runs
Mar 24, 2007
Wollongong
Opening up some new areas and lifts will really boost Selwyn's popularity. But I think if they can get accomms up there it will take off. The daily drive (from Adaminaby or Talbingo)is a turn off for a lot of people. The downside of having accomms at Selwyn however is that those towns could lose quite a bit of business.

Peach Schnapps

Hard Yards
Jun 10, 2008
QLD
It usually takes around 45 minutes to get from Adaminaby to Selwyn, which is much the same as going from Jindabyne to Thredbo or Perisher give or take 15 minutes. I don't think that one Motel will mean that Adaminaby or Talbingo will lose a lot of business.

If anything, It will probably make more people aware of Selwyn and increase business.

It would be great if they could put a hotel at Cabramurra as well, but I think that’s all owned by SMH. Not sure.

Thunda

First Runs
Mar 24, 2007
Wollongong
Peach Schnapps said:
It usually takes around 45 minutes to get from Adaminaby to Selwyn, which is much the same as going from Jindabyne to Thredbo or Perisher give or take 15 minutes. I don't think that one Motel will mean that Adaminaby or Talbingo will lose a lot of business.

If anything, It will probably make more people aware of Selwyn and increase business.

It would be great if they could put a hotel at Cabramurra as well, but I think that’s all owned by SMH. Not sure.

You could be right PS it might just as easily increase business. I do believe that they should consult with them though. Maybe they could work together for mutual benefits.
As for Cabramurra I think it is in SMH control.

Bushy69

Hard Yards
Aug 1, 2008
Perth, WA
Wow... 5 year plan looks good. I have lots of young kids, so will be hitting Selwyn each year over the next 5 or more years, so will be interesting to see the changes each year. We stay at Providence, and I find the drive to be pretty quick and easy (20 minutes at most). I reckon the drive from Adaminaby would start to be a drag though. Assuming they get the go ahead for a Motel next to the car park, surely that would also then start a domino effect for other services required (more food outlets, bigger ski shop, etc..?). What size Motel are they proposing, anyone know? Personally, Selwyn could do with some sort of Village atmosphere.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass