1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Life New Whistler Option in 2050

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Stick, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Stick

Stick Addicted

2. Chalkie

Chalkie A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I hope I am still skiing in 2050...but I doubt I will be!

zac150 likes this.
  3. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

To much money invested in transfer companies that service Whistler ... I think it will get some real opposition. Would be great though.

4. jgm

jgm Addicted

They had the chance to upgrade the existing rail line for the winter olympics, but the entrenched operators made sure the money was spent on the Sea to Sky instead.

Chaeron likes this.
  5. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Not only that, the same govt privatised the railway despite an election promise to the contrary. And tipped the deal to CN Rail in exchange for past and ongoing campaign donations. The ensuing scandal ran for almost a decade.

6. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Election time in BC, the govt has just pledged to extend Skytrain out to the suburb of Langley. And they're currently building another extension to the system closer in. Canadians only like trains in densely populated areas (where they're the most expensive to build of course).

Engineering for high speed rail is blardy expensive anywhere. Try doing it along the high angle slopes between Howe Sound and the North Shore Mountains and watch your costs triple... or quadruple. In a couple of notable spots, there might not even be room for a second rail line, especially now that the highway takes up more space after the pre-Olympic widening project. Then there's land acquisition costs in the most expensive market in Canada, and major bridges across the Fraser and Burrard Inlet. There are only two feasible places to cross the latter, both already occupied by road bridges, and a floating bridge would massively disrupt one of the three busiest ports in nth america. That's a lot of challenges to overcome.

Roymond and Chalkie like this.