1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed New York City - Hotels/Accommodation Recommendations

Discussion in 'United States' started by Doonks, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

will be in NYC for 9 nights in August. Looking for accommodation recommendations in Midtown, Chelsea or Greenwich areas. It's high season I know, so it's not cheap. Budget up to about AUD$275 per night.

Have you been?
    Where did you stay?
    How was it getting around Manhattan? (easy, quick, cabs, subway, buses?)
    What kind of accommodations can you recommend other than normal Hotels?

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

The last time I was there I stayed at the Wellington Hotel on 7th Ave and 55th St. Smack bang between South Central Park and Times Sq. A little bit run down, perhaps a little seedy but clean and comfortable. Subway station literally downstairs. Carnegie Hall across the road. A good price on hotels.com (I think) but it was in February.

Getting around Manhattan is a breeze. There are a couple of subway lines that run north - south the length of the island which gets you a few blocks from anywhere. In 3 visits I think I have used a cab once.

Doonks likes this.
  3. Legs Akimbo

For attractions there are multiple deals for passes for multiple entry to all kinds of things. Two advantages - discounts and you avoid the ticket queues. Comparison

Do not, under any circumstances, be tempted into the Empire State Building. The queue on the street is only the first of about 16 other queues once you get inside and before you get to the top. Top of the Rock is the top of Rockefeller Centre and much better organised. You get a half hour window and you can wander off to do other stuff until your window comes up. The views are as good.

Doonks likes this.
  4. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

sounds like sage advice

5. Legs Akimbo

Century 21 down near all St/One World Tower is great for brand name discount shopping.

If you just want to see a show and you don't care which one there are Half Tix booths at Times Sq and South St Seaport. They have discounted tickets for that night's shows. I don't know how well it works in August. Broadway theatres are really uncomfortable - no foyers and no leg room.

6. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Are you set on staying in Manhattan? And have you been before?

I, and many people I know, tend to stay in Brooklyn in recent times. My first trip I stayed near Maddison Square Garden, last trip was Brooklyn. Many positives, but not going to try to sell you if you want to be on the island.

agree with above, subway is super convenient. And if you need, there’s Uber and other equivalents as well. My first trip we used a hop on/off bus for a day and it was helpful, but subway plus google maps etc would eclipse it now. It’s also not a crazy walk from midtown to downtown and surrounds. Helps put it all together properly if you do end up riding the subway

7. Legs Akimbo

Brooklyn is a good plan. There are a couple of subway lines that whip you seamlessly to Manhattan.

Walking really is an option. One Christmas Day we started at South Central Park and walked south via Empire State (Pro tip: no queue early on Christmas morning) via Greenwich Village, Little Italy etc to a late lunch sitting in the restaurant at the top of the World Trade Centre. Then a bus trip back up the island to a carriage ride in Central Park.

8. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

NYMA hotel (used to be Red Roof Hotel). Great value midtown with many Asian / mainly Korean restaurants close by, walk to big attractions, subway station 50 metres away. Should be within budget?

9. Stick

Stick Addicted

Last time (May 2019) stayed at Marriott Downtown, basically right next to World Trade Centre, good location & the area was quiet at the end of the working day, subway station about 100 metres away, that includes Path Train.

Also used Hilton Garden Inn at 54th St, which was also quite good.

If you are doing the tourist thing you may want to check out https://www.sightseeingpass.com/

Allows you to skip some queues etc..

As above NY is easy to get around via Subway & New Yorkers in general have always been helpful when we i have asked them a question.

One of my friends did this,

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/food-tours/lower-east-side-food-tour/

Said it was great..

10. Legs Akimbo

Another thing to avoid, at least in my opinion, is a cruise around Manhattan. Lots of people give it big wraps but I thought it was distinctly underwhelming. The daughter fell asleep.

And for a Statue of Liberty cruise do a return trip on the Staten Island ferry. You go as close as any cruise, you get great views of the south end of Manhattan and it's free. You don't land on the island.

11. jabiru

jabiru One of Us

agree on Staten Island ferry , what we used to do was hang around out of the way until everyone was off and they let the new people on ,, so you did not have to get off and try to get back on , unless you want to see Staten Island
    for a bit of whimsey have a drink in the King Cole Bar at the St Regis hotel 2 East 55th St between MADison Ave and 5th Ave . voted 16th on a list of Americas favourite architecture ( Guggenheim 74 and Plaza Hotel 81 but worth a visit ) the bar apparently invented the Red Snapper now known as the Bloody Mary .. when we were there I said to the waiter I was not sure if I wanted a Bloody Mary ( unaware of the history ) or a Margarita ,, he said as politely as he could muster " Sir I am not sure where you are from but here we normally drink Bloody Mary in the morning and Margritas later it the day ,, Margarita it was ,, one of those travel things , great fun

12. coolair

coolair One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Stayed at Westgate, east 42nd street in July last year, older place but large rooms, good location
    Good price, 2 minute walk to grandcentral station.

13. fosphenytoin

fosphenytoin Hard Yards

Have you considered airbnb for accommodation? Personally, I've never used it for NYC lodging so I can't comment. sorry. My cousin lives in Long Island so I stay at his place whenever I visit NYC.
    As others said, if you are open to location other than Manhattan, you can consider location such as: Brooklyn, Queens. There might be less expensive.

As for transportation, it is really easy. Manhattan itself is very easy to navigate on foot. Basically, it is 4 quadrant: Uptown, Downtown, East side, West side.

If you take bus or subway, direction is usually referenced in these 4 quadrant.

14. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Air BnB has become somewhat problematic as an option in Manhattan. The city has curtailed its operations given the undesirable effects it can have on affordable housing for locals (see this: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/specialenforcement/stay-in-the-know/information-for-hosts.page). There are still Air BnBs available in New York but a lot of them come with all sorts of warnings about not speaking to neighbours, coming and going under cover of darkness etc etc. There have been stories about operators getting dobbed in and city officials coming to evict illegal (ie, Air BnB) occupants, bookings being cancelled at the last minute etc etc. It's very much a "book an Air BnB in Manhattan at your own risk" proposition now.

fosphenytoin likes this.
  15. Harper11

Harper11 Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I believe there are more air bnb listings in New York than any other city in the US and one of the top global cities so I think it’s something of a stalemate