Advice needed New York City (NYC) - Skiing Options please?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Sam Paakki, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Sam Paakki

Sam Paakki Active Member

Hi all

I'm heading to NYC for Xmas/New Years to visit family. Can you please suggest places to ski/ride that we can get to within 1-2 hours flight or up to 5-6 hours drive? Looking to try get in 3-5 days on the snow. Even considering Mont Tremblant, but doesn't sound to exciting... ?

Thank you in advance

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

New England

[​IMG]

T o get a sense of distance mr google says that NYC to Jay Peak, about the furthest away, is around 6 hours' drive.

Sam Paakki and piolet like this.
  3. PiedPiper

PiedPiper Well-Known Member

Xmas / NYE is pretty early for the east coast ski season.
    I would suggest Killington, by far the biggest east coast resort. plenty of snowmaking, and lots of terrain options.
    Stratton/Mt Snow/Stowe/ are all good options too. Jiminy peak is an old fav of mine, so it hunter mtn. which i think is actually in NY state. My first ever day skiing was @ butternut, a nice small friendly mtn.

Sam Paakki likes this.
  4. tr+h

tr+h Dedicated Member

I note you are in Brisbane. I would be looking at Skiing on the way home from New Years in NYC

Many of us here have done exactly that. You are going to have to fly home via Vancouver, San Fran, LAX for example anyways. I would then look at what those areas offer you.

We did New York, Washington and Sun Peaks 2 years ago. Fantastic. But flying out of Washington meant 3 flights to Sun Peaks though.

From NYC you could fly direct to Reno(Tahoe), SLC or Denver. Many resorts to consider.

MarzNC and Sbooker like this.
  5. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

What do you consider "exciting" slopes? Tremblant is a pretty big mountain when everything is open because trails are on all sides of the peak. Hard to predict what the status will be during early season but they do have good snowmaking. The tree skiing probably won't be quite ready yet. Tremblant is a full blown destination ski resort with plenty of slope side lodging, but it will be very crowded during the holidays.

In theory, could fly to Montréal and then drive up to Quebec City. Mont Ste Anne and Le Massif would be less crowded. Québec City is much more scenic than Montréal. Really does feel like being in France more than North America.

Lake Placid in the NY Adirondacks is about a 5-hour drive from NYC. Whiteface tends not to be super busy because it's not the best mountain for beginners. Gore is an easy day trip away if staying in Lake Placid. The town is quite fun, especially for someone who likes the winter Olympics. I have a friend who goes during the American Thanksgiving holiday in late November because her husband likes the town. He is an intermediate skier who is happy skiing one of the days and letting her ski the other days on her own.

Few people fly from NYC/NJ/Philly to Vermont for a ski holiday. It's 6-7 hours drive to the larger VT ski resorts, which are about 4-5 hours from Boston.

In short, the farther away from NYC or Boston or Montreal you go, the less crowded the slopes will be. Be prepared for pretty cold weather but that's harder to predict.

6. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

Killington, Okemo, and Stowe have very good snowmaking, which can make a big difference in December. Mt Snow would be a zoo over Christmas from what I've read.

I can't imagine Jiminy Peak and Hunter being described as "exciting." Hunter is only exciting because of people dodging. The backside black trails aren't too crowded but get pretty slick by lunch time. Belleayre is probably less crowded but more of an intermediate mountain when the trees aren't open yet. If I were driving to ski in the Berkshires, be more likely to stay at Jiminy and drive over to Berkshire East. B'East is a favorite for Boston area locals because it's old school ski area with good snow and few people. Lifts are on the slow side but people are friendly from what I've read.

7. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I did Tremblant first week of Jan 07
    cover wasn’t total but it was a good week
    lovely village too
    you could fit in a couple of days in Montreal