1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed New York City (NYC) - Skiing Options please?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Sami-P, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Sami-P

Sami-P Hard Yards

Hi all

I'm heading to NYC for Xmas/New Years to visit family. Can you please suggest places to ski/ride that we can get to within 1-2 hours flight or up to 5-6 hours drive? Looking to try get in 3-5 days on the snow. Even considering Mont Tremblant, but doesn't sound to exciting... ?

Thank you in advance

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

New England

[​IMG]

T o get a sense of distance mr google says that NYC to Jay Peak, about the furthest away, is around 6 hours' drive.

Sami-P and piolet like this.
  3. PiedPiper

PiedPiper One of Us

Xmas / NYE is pretty early for the east coast ski season.
    I would suggest Killington, by far the biggest east coast resort. plenty of snowmaking, and lots of terrain options.
    Stratton/Mt Snow/Stowe/ are all good options too. Jiminy peak is an old fav of mine, so it hunter mtn. which i think is actually in NY state. My first ever day skiing was @ butternut, a nice small friendly mtn.

skifree and Sami-P like this.
  4. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

I note you are in Brisbane. I would be looking at Skiing on the way home from New Years in NYC

Many of us here have done exactly that. You are going to have to fly home via Vancouver, San Fran, LAX for example anyways. I would then look at what those areas offer you.

We did New York, Washington and Sun Peaks 2 years ago. Fantastic. But flying out of Washington meant 3 flights to Sun Peaks though.

From NYC you could fly direct to Reno(Tahoe), SLC or Denver. Many resorts to consider.

5. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

What do you consider "exciting" slopes? Tremblant is a pretty big mountain when everything is open because trails are on all sides of the peak. Hard to predict what the status will be during early season but they do have good snowmaking. The tree skiing probably won't be quite ready yet. Tremblant is a full blown destination ski resort with plenty of slope side lodging, but it will be very crowded during the holidays.

In theory, could fly to Montréal and then drive up to Quebec City. Mont Ste Anne and Le Massif would be less crowded. Québec City is much more scenic than Montréal. Really does feel like being in France more than North America.

Lake Placid in the NY Adirondacks is about a 5-hour drive from NYC. Whiteface tends not to be super busy because it's not the best mountain for beginners. Gore is an easy day trip away if staying in Lake Placid. The town is quite fun, especially for someone who likes the winter Olympics. I have a friend who goes during the American Thanksgiving holiday in late November because her husband likes the town. He is an intermediate skier who is happy skiing one of the days and letting her ski the other days on her own.

Few people fly from NYC/NJ/Philly to Vermont for a ski holiday. It's 6-7 hours drive to the larger VT ski resorts, which are about 4-5 hours from Boston.

In short, the farther away from NYC or Boston or Montreal you go, the less crowded the slopes will be. Be prepared for pretty cold weather but that's harder to predict.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  6. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Killington, Okemo, and Stowe have very good snowmaking, which can make a big difference in December. Mt Snow would be a zoo over Christmas from what I've read.

I can't imagine Jiminy Peak and Hunter being described as "exciting." Hunter is only exciting because of people dodging. The backside black trails aren't too crowded but get pretty slick by lunch time. Belleayre is probably less crowded but more of an intermediate mountain when the trees aren't open yet. If I were driving to ski in the Berkshires, be more likely to stay at Jiminy and drive over to Berkshire East. B'East is a favorite for Boston area locals because it's old school ski area with good snow and few people. Lifts are on the slow side but people are friendly from what I've read.

7. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I did Tremblant first week of Jan 07
    cover wasn’t total but it was a good week
    lovely village too
    you could fit in a couple of days in Montreal

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I am looking at visiting NYC in early 2021. This thread is useful to me. I want to XC ski somewhere too. Because I will probably be flying via LAX to reach NYC from Ozstriya would XC skiing in Utah, Lake Tahoe, or Colorado in March en route be better than XC skiing at Mt.Van Hoevenberg in late January/early Feb. 2021?

.It would be handy to just spend time in the general NY area overall.Esp.so my lady friend who has invited me to visit her in NYC can easily tag along to the Lake Placid area.
    Things to consider are avoiding busy periods at USA snow locations, milder weather in March, longer days in March and so on.Vermont or Canada could be good NE ski options too.

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Does Mt. Van Hoevenberg still have half decent snow in early March?. I am tossing up whether to visit NYC and add on a ski trip near Lake Placid in Jan. or March 2021. I would be heading to the Lake Tahoe Area on the way back and will stop in to visit SF before flying home.

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

11. blutek

blutek One of Us

We were in Texas in early December, came home via Salt Lake then San Francisco. Used our aussie Epic Pass which kept us in Park City. Could also stop in Japan on way home too?

12. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Mad River, 5 hours 20 from New York, apparently.

13. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

I'd look at Gore/Whiteface, good skiing at both and lake Placid is excellent

Stratton has an excellent lift system to cope with crowds and some nice cruising. And I rather enjoyed Tremblant ;)

I'd avoid Killington during holidays. A zoo ...

My faves are Sugarbush and Jay Peak. Jay's a long way and really not great for intermediates, but if you like trees, both are amazing if there's enough cover. Here's our Sugarbush trip from late January

Good snowmaking goes without saying in the north east :)

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.