New York Hotels

Discussion in 'United States' started by bullet, Nov 28, 2018.

1. bullet

bullet One of Us

HI all, i will be in NYC in August for 5 nights to have a look around, having never been to NY(nor particularly wanting to as i dont like cities) where would you suggest we stay?

Is Manhattan a good spot, central to tourist attractions?
    Its a bit overwhelming with the amount of choice of hotels in NY so any feedback/experiences will be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Gold Bruce

Manhattan is NY central. It is where most tourist stuff is. That said, the subway is cheap and generally efficient, so staying off Manhattan is cheaper and not a real problem.

Last time I was there I stayed in the Wellington Hotel which is on 7th Avenue and 55th St between Times Square and South Central Park. Carnegie Hall is across the road It was a bit shabby but adequate and good value. It has a subway station outside.

The time before that I stayed in a mate's apartment in the East village. A much funkier corner of town but not many hotels.

bullet likes this.
  3. Summit

Summit Part of the Furniture
    Gold Bruce

Here's a good central Manhattan hotel if you're looking to save a bit on accommodation. Stayed there a few years ago. It's easy to spend a lot staying in Manhattan.

http://www.hotel17ny.com/

bullet likes this.
  4. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Silver Bruce

Don't stay within 2-3 blocks of Times Square, unless you love noise. NYC generally is a noisy city, with Times Square the epicentre of that.

bullet likes this.
  5. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

bullet likes this.
  6. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

If you don't find anything reasonable in Manhattan, can look in Jersey City near the Path station or in Brooklyn Heights. Short ride on the subway into downtown Manhattan.

There is a 7-day Metropass that's good for unlimited rides up to midnight. Doesn't cover the Path train from NJ though.

7. coolair

coolair One of Us
    Gold Bruce

My travel agent just booked me for 4 nights in early July at Westgate hotel on 42nd street
    for $1214, He booked me excellent Boutique hotels in Rome and Paris this year so
    I am leaving it up to him,
    Cheaper price than on line, also looked on line at the Plaza, from about $850pn for the broom closet.

8. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Gold Bruce

Nilo or Hudson , both very groovy and central .

9. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal
    Gold Bruce

Stay in Manhattan.
    Anywhere will be awesome for your first time as it’s an incredible city.
    I have stayed on the upper west side and it was an awesome spot near Central Park, Columbus circle and easy train to get anywhere.
    Hotel Beacon was nice.

10. geeoff

geeoff Hard Yards

Recommend Washington Square Hotel in Greenwich Village.
    Reasonable rates and nice boutique hotel in great location. Walking distance to Soho, West Village, Meatpackers etc.
    Easy subway access uptown to Central Manhattan or across river to Brooklyn.

11. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

We've stayed at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Midtown East. Well positioned, quiet enough area. I've had family stay at Beacon too. Both seem good options.

You're there 5 days so stay in Manhattan and don't waste time commuting onto and off the island each day.

7 day train/bus pass is your friend. Subway if your going more than 10 blocks, buses if less. All the same pass.

Enjoy!

12. bullet

bullet One of Us

Excellent info, thanks all.

13. Stick

Stick Hard Yards

Stayed in a few places in New York

Hilton Garden Inn West 35th Street. Nice place and easy walking distance to everything. Subway just down the street & Broadway a couple of blocks away.

The Grand Hyatt New York, right on top of Grand Central Station & easy walking

The Roosevelt Hotel, unfortunately Ghostbusters was not filmed here, but still a good hotel and walking distance to everything (was starting to be a little dated when we were there though)

14. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty
    30 Day Bruce

Yeah those Hilton Garden Inns seem to be a good option. We stayed at Hilton Garden Inn New York/ Manhattan Midtown East a few years back, and were very happy with it. It was a step up from the place we were at in Brooklyn previously, which had bulletproof glass protecting the front desk.

15. ponyrider

ponyrider Hard Yards

Yep Manhattan if for 5 days to max time. Once you hit the 7+ mark I reckon The LIC (Long Island City) through Brooklyn or Jersey City / Lower Hoboken works well. You'll get a much more spacious place and neighborhood vibes with some real hidden gems. The PATH (NJ) and Subway are just so convenient. In terms of Manhattan, go Greenwich Village, hard to beat.

16. Whatever really

Whatever really Hard Yards

I like battery park/soho bit quieter but easy train ride.