New Zealand 2010 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Since we have these threads going for most other places around the world, time for a

<span style='font-size: 20pt'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>New Zealand 2010 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread</span></span>

While the Travel forum is meant for Northern Hemisphere adventures, I still thought this thread belongs in the Travel forum!

skidown ................Queenstown - 5 Nights - Late August

Epic
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
Do you think you'll have more fun in NZ than you would at Buller?

outtahere.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Now to sort out accommodation!

biggrin.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Everyone is coming out of the woodwork
smile.gif

<span style='font-size: 20pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>The New Zealand 2010 Crew </span></span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>
<span style='font-family: Impact'>Those Going</span></span>
Heinz.........................Wanaka.........1 - 14th Augusts
Bushy69.....................Wanaka.... 4th - 14th August
socold........................Queenstown...13 - 27th of August
Tilt.............................Queenstown...17 - 24th August
skidown.....................Queenstown....19 - 24th August

<span style='font-family: Impact'><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Useful Links </span></span>

<span style='font-size: 11pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>General</span></span>
Coming Soon

<span style='font-size: 11pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>Snow Cams</span></span>
Coming Soon

<span style='font-size: 11pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>Weather Forecasts</span></span>
Coming Soon

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Flights - Booked
Car Hire - Booked
Accommodation - Booked - 1/2 the price of comparable accommodation in Jindabyne
Few tricks to keep the +1 happy - Check

Bed time for me!

Mark102

A Local
Jul 5, 2002
Victor Harbor & Adelaide
Flying into Queenstown on the 20th/21st of August. Leave Queenstown on 2nd of September.

Booked a backcountry avalanche course but NFI where else to go at this point. Wanaka looks good but would probably want to check out somewhere else as well (i.e. Queenstown).

hpsauce

A Local
Ski Pass
May 19, 2008
Wanaka 15th - 29th August.....Giddy-up!

Flights....check
Car.....check
Accom......check
kayak......check

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

socold

A Local
Ski Pass
May 5, 2008
Port Stephens
yeah, stayed there last year and really liked the place. Its not the cheapest but we feel it was worth it.
Being only a short walk away from the CBD is really handy.

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
Couldn't get a 3 beddy at Glebe (dammit), so had to go further down the road to Blue Peaks. I haven't been to QT before, does anyone know if that is still within walking distance to where the buses depart for the ski areas?

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
We stayed at the glebe a few years ago, it was OK, but geez is was noisy. If you are there to party, you probably won't mind, but we needed some sleep between days on the hill.

Might have just been bad timing..... management sorted it out in the end.

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Tilt said:
Couldn't get a 3 beddy at Glebe (dammit), so had to go further down the road to Blue Peaks. I haven't been to QT before, does anyone know if that is still within walking distance to where the buses depart for the ski areas?

Its not much further than the glebe, I'm sure you will cope. A bit more uphill coming home though.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Tilt said:

Blue Peaks still around? That's been there for ages (well close to 30 years at least).
Yes, it is only a short walk to the town centre, but a bit uphill coming back as suggested.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Never actually stayed there so can't help. Just remember seeing the distintive actual blue peaks on the roof in my early visits to Qtn. I assume no other place would use that name.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Back for the second time. This time with Mrs Chops.. could be interesting as she's never seen snow!

Sth Island July 10th - 31st including 24th-31st in Queenstown.

Fest

Hard Yards
May 11, 2006
Sydney
Tilt said:

I couldn't get a 3 bedder at the Glebe either, I'm booked at the Heritage Heights or somesuch... a little bit further out but it looks nice. Managed to score a bit of a discount from the Wholesaler as well
smile.gif

Oh yeah - 30th July until 7th August.

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
Ah I see, in QT there is the Blue Peaks Motor Lodge and the Blue Peaks Apartments.. 2 different locations, or I think that's what it is? We are booked into one of them, don't know which one tho
laugh.gif

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Tilt said:
Ah I see, in QT there is the Blue Peaks Motor Lodge and the Blue Peaks Apartments.. 2 different locations, or I think that's what it is? We are booked into one of them, don't know which one tho
laugh.gif

Well the motor lodge looks like it is 1 and 2 bed rooms. If you booked a 3 bed you would be over the road in the apartments, I guess.

snorkstar

First Runs
Aug 8, 2008
melbourne, australia
Stayed at the Glebe last 2 years and found it great. got a 3 bedroom unit this year. we have found their prices pretty good when booked through Skimax. obviously it isnt the cheapest place but we have found it pretty good value for money. yeah it can get a little noisy at times but since our group come from different parts of Oz and really only see each other for those 2 weeks of the year we dont mind a bit of noise, we would prob be involved in it one way or another.haha

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Ah HA! So it was you that kept me awake all night!

smile.gif

I was there in 2005, the guys in the room above us were playing the didgeridoo on road cones until 3am. We woke them up the next morning by setting off our smoke alarm at 6am.

snorkstar

First Runs
Aug 8, 2008
melbourne, australia
haha i dont think we will be that wild this year. not at 3am anyway. big couple of weeks planned this year with a few days heli boarding for the 1st time. no doubt there will be a few big nights on the turps but we normally get on it in town before stubbling back to our rooms and passing out. so our drunk snoring might keep everyone awake.

Mark102

A Local
Jul 5, 2002
Victor Harbor & Adelaide
Mark102 said:
Flying into Queenstown on the 20th/21st of August. Leave Queenstown on 2nd of September.

Booked a backcountry avalanche course but NFI where else to go at this point. Wanaka looks good but would probably want to check out somewhere else as well (i.e. Queenstown).

Booked flights now and plans have slightly changed. Flying into Christchurch on the 20th of August and out of Queenstown on 2nd of September.

Going to check out the club fields for a few days then make our way down to Wanaka for the avalanche course and ski there for a couple of days. Can't bloody wait!!!!
woohoo.gif

Snow Addict

Part of the Furniture
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere
Saw something when at the shops today - direct flights from Sydney to Rotorua. Didn't know they existed before. Turns out Air NZ run direct services a couple of times a week. Can get a dummy booking for $457 return for some Tuesday flights in August 2010.

Makes North Island a more manageable proposition. Hmmm.

Milesb

First Runs
Jun 26, 2008
Queenstown
27July – 5 Aug

Booked and paid : )
Flights
Accom
Car

Looking at booking a second trip also….

J_T_

Hard Yards
Sep 1, 2008

JT and The Shabangabang Crew

15th - 22 August

Locked and loaded...flights, accomodation, car rental

Sit back and wait

skarekrow

Hard Yards
May 22, 2007
Brisbane
And lock in 4th to 14th of August at Wanaka - just getting final pricing for our crew of 10. Can't wait, after having spent the last few years visiting Queenstown for a week, we finally spent 2 weeks in NZ and did queenstown and wanaka last year. Awesome. So heading back to wanaka again!

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
I can now understand why I was unable to book into The Glebe over 5 months out, sounds very popular. We are staying at Breakfree Highview, would love some reports or info if anyone's stayed there?
Also I really want to ski a day or 2 in Wanaka but not sure if Mrs. Chopps is up to it, as a beginner will Cardrona have enough to offer her. I've conceded that Treble Cone is certainly out of the question. We'll also be super keen to meet with and hangout with peeps while in QT, if anyone is interested?
beer.gif

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Hmmm, I'm thinking about going to Wanaka late August this year. Its either that or Perisher, but the exchange rate has me leaning towards Wanaka instead.

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
mick chopps said:
as a beginner will Cardrona have enough to offer her.

From what I hear Cardrona is a good beginners hill.

NorwegianWood

Hard Yards
Nov 17, 2006
Annandale, NSW
Tilt - to answer your earlier question about whether or not Blue Peaks is near where the buses stop for the resorts...the bus stops right outside Blue Peaks Apartments. I stayed there a few years ago and they're quite nice.

Skidown - please add me to the list for Queenstown 31 July - 4 August. Cheers!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
So many travelers
biggrin.gif

I'll update the list tonight!

zekealot

Hard Yards
May 20, 2009
Queenstown 1-14 August. Got flights sorted but not accommodation yet
frown.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
skarekrow said:
And lock in 4th to 14th of August at Wanaka - just getting final pricing for our crew of 10. Can't wait, after having spent the last few years visiting Queenstown for a week, we finally spent 2 weeks in NZ and did queenstown and wanaka last year. Awesome. So heading back to wanaka again!

Do you know Bushy69 from these forums. They are heading the exact same dates as you and to Wanaka
smile.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Everyone is coming out of the woodwork
smile.gif

<span style='font-size: 20pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>The New Zealand 2010 Crew </span></span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>
<span style='font-family: Impact'>Those Going</span></span>
mick chopps................Sth Island/Queenst...10 - 31st August
Axe_L_Thief................Queenstown............ 22 July - 2nd August.
CarveMan, +3 ............Club Fields/Heli trip....last week in July
miles #828..................Queenstown..............27 July - 5th August
NorwegianWood...........Queenstown.............31 July - 4th August
snorkstar....................Queenstown..............31 July - 14th August
Heinz.........................Wanaka.....................1 - 14th August
Bushy69.....................Wanaka.................... 4 - 14th August
skarekrow...................Wanaka.....................4 - 14th August
socold........................Queenstown...............13 - 27th August
J_T_...........................NZ Somewhere...........15 - 22nd August
hpfred.........................Wanaka.....................15 - 29th August
Tilt.............................Queenstown...............17 - 24th August
skidown.....................Queenstown................19 - 24th August
Mark102.....................Queenstown/Wanaka..20 Aug - 2nd September

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>Exchange Rate</span></span>

As at 13th April 9:17pm
1.00 AUD = 1.30056 NZD

Nice cheap lift tickets
wink.gif
No-where near $100 here...
outtahere.gif

<span style='font-family: Impact'><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Useful Links </span></span>

<span style='font-size: 11pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>General</span></span>
Coming Soon

<span style='font-size: 11pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>Snow Cams</span></span>
Coming Soon

<span style='font-size: 11pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>Weather Forecasts</span></span>
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Remarkables/6day/top
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Coronet-Peak/6day/top
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cardrona/6day/top
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Treble-Cone/6day/top

<span style='font-size: 11pt'><span style='font-family: Impact'>Snow Reports</span></span>
http://snow.co.nz/theremarkables/snowreport/
http://snow.co.nz/coronetpeak/snowreport/
http://snow.co.nz/cardrona/snowreport/
http://snow.co.nz/treblecone/snowreport/

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass