New Zealand 2010 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Cham said:
snow-pixie said:
If you update future itinerary plans on your blog , look forward to seeing a fat skier with a hunched stance dogging your every move from now on!
biggrin.gif

No wonder you could not cool down at CV CM. Too much fondue in France??
outtahere.gif

The fat guy's me Cham...
tongue.gif

Don't think you could describe carve's stance as hunched or his physique as phat!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cham

One of Us
Jul 11, 2002
Vic
Oooops!
laugh.gif

Well it does appear from the shots that CM is looking healthy at present. Hey comes with it's benefits.....more for the wife to grab onto on those nights after your st@ffed from hanging onto rope tows all day long.
outtahere.gif

Cham

One of Us
Jul 11, 2002
Vic
Not a bad blog by the way CM. Had a good look last night. Brought back good memories.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
CarveMan said:
sli1 said:
CM, you had great conditions at Cragieburn. Can you rateyour skiing there vs the skiing you had in the arrowsmiths ?

Honestly - our first day at Craigieburn - once the fog cleared after lunch, in pure skiing terms, was better than Heliskiing.

Sure heliskiing has the 'wow' factor - amazing scenery and some really loooong runs, but that day at CV there were about a dozen skiers on the whole hill who had stuck out the admittedly feral morning, so we crossed as few tracks as we did in the heli, didn't wait for a lift, skied top-to-bottom absolutely flat stick.

When heliskiing we had to always think about crevasses, avalanches etc so we never really opened the taps, whereas at CV we could really go balls-to-the wall. It was an amazing day skiing, and they kicked us off the hill at 4pm knowing there was a heap of freshies to be had the next day.

BUT overnight a breeze came up and put a bit of a crust on the snow. The next day was good, but not as good as we were hoping. We definitely made the most of it however, but it wasn't the pow extravaganza we were expecting.

And this is where heli comes back into the equation (our touring if you are so inclined) - the day following this, by working the right altitudes and aspects we skied a metric shite-ton of pow again from the heli.

SO - I think the conclusion is that an unreal day on the right ski hill can rival what's available from a Helicopter - and I've had a few remarkable days in resorts that people have favourably compared to heliskiing, but for this to happen you need to be in the right place at the right time, stars need to align etc, BUT a good day in a Helicopter is surely unbeatable.

Bang for your Buck, CV is unreal.

Ta, that is alignmnet with my experience/expectations in NZ.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Cham said:
Sounds like you had a hoot Sli1. Footage looked good to. Appears you did not encounter the same problems with the Go Pro as you did in Japan. Snow that deep you could not get good footage! ;-) I notice your still using the Chest mount? I still reckon the helmet mount gives better steadier footage. Just my opinion. Our crew are using them heaps now out on the dirt bikes in gnarly terrain. It is amazing how steady the head remains compared to the rest of the body. They are really a nice neat camera and get great footage.

So are you just doing some weekend trips based on lining up the weather?

I may be heading back to NZ next year. Little hard with the little one this year.

Thought your priorities might be diffferent this year ! Yep agree the head is steady for the cam but... I just won't do it. As a serial helmet destroyer I think its a safety issue/ but that is for each individual to decide.

My intial plan was to line up the weather with NZ trips but Jetstar came out with some cheap flights so we pre-booked the flights and left everything else open. It doesn't get any better than the weekend before last. Dumped snow on Thursday night/Friday then Bluebird on the weekend. It was lucky. This weekend is looking a different story with a saturated snowpack and maybe snow on Sat & Sunday. As you know skiing while its snowing in NZ is generally accompanied by shocking vis and winds so we'll see.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Cham

One of Us
Jul 11, 2002
Vic
So just 2 day weekend stints? How does the cost work out? Mind me asking what a weekend costs to NZ including the flights?

Or are you doing long weekend. Friday and the Monday included?

andy222009

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2009
that link is quite good
but it isnt telling me good things about the snow at tc and cardrona........

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Another good day of August 'Spring' skiing in the Buchanans, starting in the north, then around Triple peak. Powder on the upper sections (10 cm) gradually thinning out as we got lower but all on a predictable firm base. After lunch we headed further south to Mt. Alta and skied the sunny west side where I can't recall having been before. Watched a slide go off lower down in front of us, we traversed before we got there and got two long steepish pitches of spring corn snow - great but not normally what you expect in August. It is just so warm at the moment. Had the Ops manager from TC skiing with us today.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Cham said:
So just 2 day weekend stints? How does the cost work out? Mind me asking what a weekend costs to NZ including the flights?

Fly over on the Thursday night: 6:15pm. You end up going to sleep in your CHCH motel around 1:30am. The time difference effects you so getting up early on Friday can be hard. I was wrapped the weather was so crap on the last trip so Friday could be leisurely. Fly back on the 6:15am flight on monday morning. Goto work Monday. You end up being up from 2:00am Oz East coast time so it is a long day.......

Last weekend was FF points + $217 in taxes. This weekend was $209 return ea from when Jstar had a two for one sale. I didn't drill down into the exact comparison but expect that with ex rate, Aus comes out in just in front, $ wise for the weekend as all the savings made skiing in NZ won't overcome the $418 in flights + $80 parking at the airport. But I couldn't give a toss, doesn't matter how good the conditions are here, weekend crowds just peeve me. Way too many quad chairs per hectare here.

Cham

One of Us
Jul 11, 2002
Vic
sli1 said:
Cham said:

Fly over on the Thursday night: 6:15pm. You end up going to sleep in your CHCH motel around 1:30am. The time difference effects you so getting up early on Friday can be hard. I was wrapped the weather was so crap on the last trip so Friday could be leisurely. Fly back on the 6:15am flight on monday morning. Goto work Monday. You end up being up from 2:00am Oz East coast time so it is a long day.......

Last weekend was FF points + $217 in taxes. This weekend was $209 return ea from when Jstar had a two for one sale. I didn't drill down into the exact comparison but expect that with ex rate, Aus comes out in just in front, $ wise for the weekend as all the savings made skiing in NZ won't overcome the $418 in flights + $80 parking at the airport. But I couldn't give a toss, doesn't matter how good the conditions are here, weekend crowds just peeve me. Way too many quad chairs per hectare here.

Wow....That's a big weekend! I agree though.....not much chop in Aus. Have not been here for at least 5 season's now. Far too expensive to ski grass, rocks, mud. That money is better spent on a OS trip.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Cham said:
Heinz.....how many days of Heli you getting in NZ?

3 so far including today (more on that to follow). Looks like some snow on the way on the weekend then another week to go.
smile.gif

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Today didn't look like it was going to happen for a long time. The valley cloud was meant to clear off early but we were sitting down at Cattle flat waiting ... The clouds were opening up gradually but rather too slowly. Had lunch early and were starting to think that was it but at 12:30 they made the call to have a look knowing it was clear above. Flew over the TC road then a couple of seconds of cloud then blue sky above a sea of cloud just sitting below the landing zone on Escapade off Black Peak - so it was all on!

Good snow - short run but it was just a jumping off point. We were headed in the direction of Craig Royston - hit another run on the way which was crusty, but Craig Royston delivered the goods. 10 cms of powder on a firm base, no wind effect, wide open and consistent made for fast fun skiing making up for lost time. Couldn't ski the full extent of the run because of the conditions lower down but we were able to crank out a few fast runs, letting the skis run. Smiles all round. Special mention for one of the Taupo boys who skied a line which had a turn about 1 foot away from the big bluff on the left side of the run! Did a few different lines from that landing then a final run back on Escapade on the way back. So we managed to get a days quota of 7 runs in about 3 hours.

Now hoping to get something out of the system arriving on the weekend.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
^^
biggrin.gif

Should be some good snow for the South Island over the next few days!

Just found this little tool which means no worrying about weather maps just press the play button and watch where snow is predicted!

Cham

One of Us
Jul 11, 2002
Vic
You have too much money Heinz!

Another note....although the NZ club fields can be off the dial good.....they can get plain nasty after no new snow for a while. With no grooming they become chopped up and real chunky & lumpy hard and fast. Can be real hard work after no new snow for a while.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Yep, went to Mt Olympus today. Beautiful day but rain scarred snow, meant " Challenging Conditions"

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Cham said:
Is that even possible?
Anyways, he has to compensate for being a croweater
wink.gif

Sadder news...4 people killed so far this season at Mt Hutt...one on the road and 3 skiing accidents...must pack helmet...must pack helmet.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
arriving QT next Sat then heading North via Ohau
Current GFS has sea-level snow and about a metre of it for the weekend
eek.gif

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Weather closing in today so a shortened day. Sort of opposite to yesterday, skied until the cloud and wind moved in and ended up having lunch back in the valley after 5 runs. Tried a run on Fog peak to start but was a bit crusty and the cloud moved in so it lived up to it's name, then Rollercoaster - good snow but flat light so we got pushed back to Escapade where we skied yesterday and knew the snow was good while iit was still clear and got some more great runs until the wind and cloud chased us out of there as well.

Now hoping to see some snow out of the system coming in on the weekend.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Cham said:

No, I just focus on where I spend it. I'm not into spending money on cars, gadgets etc.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Heinz said:
Now hoping to see some snow out of the system coming in on the weekend.

the Terminator(mLAPS) says 10-15cm by lunchtime tomorrow for the Southern lakes
and probably some snow(flurries) for Queenstown township Sunday.

robbied

First Runs
May 14, 2008
snowpixie, which areas do you think will do best this weekend? Southern lakes or cragieburn region?

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
robbied said:
snowpixie, which areas do you think will do best this weekend? Southern lakes or cragieburn region?

GFS and mLAPS show slightly different scenarios with GFS forecasting a double centred low but both are forecasting a moist trough extending from the Aus East Coast
Becuse of that, I reckon the most moisture will be North of the Mackenzie country...probably Roundhill will do okay and extending as far as Ruapehu later..but the Southern Lakes will kick it off with some falls..but probably no more than 10-15cm
Cold though
If I was guessing ..and knowing how unpredictable NZ is, I'd still say Roundhill to Rainbow could end up with 50cm+ over the w/e

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
Does anyone know if Castle Hill Village near the canterbury club fields has got mobile phone reception yet? (it didn't a couple of years ago).

Given the snow forecast thinking about getting 4 extra cheeky days from Tues 10th prior to my Craigiburn ski week which starts on the 14th Aug but need mobile phone and email access for the 4 extra days so that I can deal with work post skiing.

I know Springfield does have mobile phone reception but would prefer to stay on the other side of porters pass - Castle Hill Village would be ideal.

James B

One of Us
Dec 18, 2000
Christchurch, NZ, God's Own
johnski said:
Does anyone know if Castle Hill Village near the canterbury club fields has got mobile phone reception yet? (it didn't a couple of years ago).

No. Definitely not.

johnski said:
Given the snow forecast thinking about getting 4 extra cheeky days from Tues 10th prior to my Craigiburn ski week which starts on the 14th Aug but need mobile phone and email access for the 4 extra days so that I can deal with work post skiing.

I know Springfield does have mobile phone reception but would prefer to stay on the other side of porters pass - Castle Hill Village would be ideal.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Birthday celebration for one of the guides last night - good night.

Has been drizzling steadily in Wanaka today and is colder. Can see a dusting of snow on the lower foothills.

Pics when I get home.

Toto Warmlet

One of Us
Sep 2, 2003
I can understand your caution, but NZ pharmacies are ok, believe me.
Not going to be a caninely long wait?
Weather has been very drab in the Nth Is today. Future looks good for worse.
Could be a good season.
Last time I was in the Sth Is was in 97 so I can't post a random pic.
Cook Strait is a female dog...autocensor for bitc.....
cool.gif

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Looks like Cardrona got a dusting, they are reporting 10cms.... hopefully some more coming during the week.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
I drove from Mt Cook village to Twizela couple of hours ago. Its was bucketing snow at 600 m. Sleet here in Twizel.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
sli1 said:
I drove from Mt Cook village to Twizela couple of hours ago. Its was bucketing snow at 600 m. Sleet here in Twizel.

If you're thinking Ohau tomorrow sli?
Just a word of warning...after a big dump they do a lot of avi control work and you can waste a lot of time waiting at the gate to be finally told they won't open.
If you get up should be outstanding though.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
snow-pixie said:
robbied said:

GFS and mLAPS show slightly different scenarios with GFS forecasting a double centred low but both are forecasting a moist trough extending from the Aus East Coast
Becuse of that, I reckon the most moisture will be North of the Mackenzie country...probably Roundhill will do okay and extending as far as Ruapehu later..but the Southern Lakes will kick it off with some falls..but probably no more than 10-15cm
Cold though
If I was guessing ..and knowing how unpredictable NZ is, I'd still say Roundhill to Rainbow could end up with 50cm+ over the w/e

not a bad effort SP

koopsmith

One of Us
Jun 14, 2008
Oooh, I like what Im seeing in the snow reports.
Canturbury hills - up to 30cm overnight
Mackenzies -up to 70cm overnight
Wanaka - up to 15cm overnight
QT - up to 45cm overnight

All with more to come today/tonight and then massive dumps in 4 days time in the canturbury/mackenzie areas...
Glad we are flying in to CHCH in a weeks time
woohoo.gif

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Oh dear, the BofSki north island trip starts in 12 days and I'm definitely getting cold feet
cry.gif

Watched the snow build on Ruapehu slowly, only to see it washed away in the last rain. OK it's snowing again, but another dump of rain forecast for Friday.

Plan 'B' is starting to become a reality. Motor home people say no problems changing booking from Auckland to Christchurch. Have booked a cheap connecting flight already and will make a final call early next week
frown.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
At this stage Thur/Fri look like being another EPIC washout.....

iski4u2

First Runs
Apr 26, 2009
Thats a shame because the snow arrived Today
smile.gif
Although it is touch and go still managing to get some good running in myself despite everyone around whining about the conditions.
Got to admit though if this is just a fluke the ski season wont last long with a few nor westers.

IMG_0493Medium.jpg
[/img]

just visiting

First Runs
Sep 29, 2006
iski4u2 said:
smile.gif
Although it is touch and go still managing to get some good running in myself despite everyone around whining about the conditions.
Got to admit though if this is just a fluke the ski season wont last long with a few nor westers.

IMG_0493Medium.jpg
[/img]

Is that Whakapapa?

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
iski4u2 said:
smile.gif

IMG_0493Medium.jpg
[/img]

Yep, pretty annoying. If that kept up and we didn't see the rain forcast for Friday, I'd still be heading to Ruapehu.

In practice, unless there is an epic dump over next weekend, I'm pulling the pin next Monday and heading south. Too much invested in flights and motor home rentals to spend 10 days riding slush or rain. Pitty, I was looking forward to Ruapehu. Maybe catch you another time iski4u2.
beer.gif

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
biggrin.gif
That's more like it. August powder. This is how it is meant be be!
Great day in the North Harris today. 25 cms of new snow. Had to try a few runs to find the really good stuff though. First couple of runs around Fog peak and a bit further out had a thin rime crust layer - still good skiing, just not quite prime powder. But then we got back onto Rollercoaster and it was all good - consistent dry powder on runs of 2000+ vert ft which were great from top to bottom. After a slightly slow start looking for the good stuff we managed to get 10 runs in.

Heard good reports from the Buchanans as well. Next couple of days look good as well, so if you want to get some heli now is a good time.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass