New Zealand 2010 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Telestrom & Red_switch

Thanks for the updates on CP.

The next 10 days is looking VERY nice for some new snow!

It has been showing on the charts for weeks and is still there so it's a good sign!

Fingers crossed for the fresh stuff for my arrival on Thursday!

Mark102

A Local
Jul 5, 2002
Victor Harbor & Adelaide
I arrive Friday night. Can't bloody wait!!!!

4 days at Broken River/Craigieburn + 4 day backcountry avalanche course in the mountains somewhere around Wanaka + 1 day at Treble Cone (maybe) + a couple of down days.

Weighing up whether to go skydiving or heliskiing. 60 seconds of freefalling ($300 cheaper) vs a full day of heliskiing. I have a fair idea what people on here would prefer but pretty keen to go sky diving.

Hope we get some fresh stuff!

Loister

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2003
Melbourne/Buller
is there even a comparison?

Heli is the only option!!

......but just in case you're tempted to go sky diving, i've done self static line and recommends that you don't waste your time (& $$$) with tandem.

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Red_switch said:
Found CP to be pretty good this weekend actually, especially off the 6 seater. CP and Remarks would be my pic for the Southern Lakes for the next few days, hearing sad things about TC.

Yep, the cams for TC look a bit sad, I don't think I'll bother heading there unless there is a good dump between now and next week....

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Neslot said:
I made a shotty video of my week in Queenstown with the boys, for half of them it was their first time!
http://vimeo.com/14135885

I wanna go back..

I like it......

especially the bits in the bar, with all the stools packed up..... looks like you stayed just a little too long!
smile.gif

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Just got back from a week in NZ. I'll do a longer trip report later.

Cover around Queenstown is excellent. Still a little pow around if you look in the right place. Hit the backbowls at CP, and TC was great.

I spent 2 days at Craigieburn - never got to ski it, it was closed for the 2 days we were there. Got hit with 70mm of rain on Friday which washed away most of the snow. They closed it again on saturday to protect the base. Probably best avoid it unless it gets another dump, was looking pretty bare and the snow that is there will be hard.

FYI - staff running Craigie this year are v rude and did not make an enjoyable stay!

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Well, that's it, the deed is done, north island trip is no more.

If anyone's wondering why, take look at this Waterfall

Surprisingly easy to shift islands at this late stage, just need to completely re-jig my itinerary now.

iski4u2

First Runs
Apr 26, 2009
BofSki said:

Surprisingly easy to shift islands at this late stage, just need to completely re-jig my itinerary now.

That clip is the best bit of negative spin you can ever do!

The problem with that trail is that it is part of the summer stream bed and with the heavy rain that fell that is the result, most f the time in the winter you do not see it as it carves a tunnel under the snow.

Was up there yesterday and there was not much evidence of a raging river through there but a trickle and a bit of dirty snow. This winter though has reminded me though of the constant battle during July and August of 1996 to keep the ski areas up and running between ash dumps from the erupting volcanoe. Yet Whakapapa remained open until Labour Weekend that year despite the nukeing and rapid snow melts caused by a thin layer of black ash.
The point was that they were able to snow mange with a thin layer of fresh snow then and they can now.

Only catch just need a norwester to collide with a southerly cold front and dump 30+cms in its wake. Certainly snow making has maintained top bottom sking this year thanks to those cold July nights they experianced.

Besides that most skiers on whakapapa are either on the T-Bars or lower mountain that area between the waterfall and the drive station is really just an access.

Wouldnt blame you to head south though you got more choice and a few places with good bases.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Telestrom said:
Latest updates on Remarks says:

Heavy snowfall on the road, chains to be fit to all vehicles from 10km

Very good -
biggrin.gif

Almost looking like perfect weather for my trip now !!!!
biggrin.gif

Snow today and tomorrow, clearing a little on Thursday
biggrin.gif

Friday/Sat/Sun looking like more snow

Clearing again on Monday/Tuesday

Snow again on Wednesday!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
iski4u2 said:
BofSki said:

The problem with that trail is that it is part of the summer stream bed and with the heavy rain that fell that is the result, most f the time in the winter you do not see it as it carves a tunnel under the snow.

Was up there yesterday and there was not much evidence of a raging river through there but a trickle and a bit of dirty snow. This winter though has reminded me though of the constant battle during July and August of 1996 to keep the ski areas up and running between ash dumps from the erupting volcanoe. Yet Whakapapa remained open until Labour Weekend that year despite the nukeing and rapid snow melts caused by a thin layer of black ash.
The point was that they were able to snow mange with a thin layer of fresh snow then and they can now.

Only catch just need a norwester to collide with a southerly cold front and dump 30+cms in its wake. Certainly snow making has maintained top bottom sking this year thanks to those cold July nights they experianced.

Besides that most skiers on whakapapa are either on the T-Bars or lower mountain that area between the waterfall and the drive station is really just an access.

Wouldnt blame you to head south though you got more choice and a few places with good bases.
NO attempt at spin on my behalf iski4u2.

Decision was made based on the weather - warm and raining, as well as keeping an eye on the chatter on the NZ forums. If anyones guilty of spin, its got to be RAL. I realise they have a business to run, but you have got to admit their outlook is somewhat 'rose tinted'.

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
skidown said:
Telestrom said:
Latest updates on Remarks says:

Heavy snowfall on the road, chains to be fit to all vehicles from 10km

Very good -
biggrin.gif

Almost looking like perfect weather for my trip now !!!!
biggrin.gif

Snow today and tomorrow, clearing a little on Thursday
biggrin.gif

Friday/Sat/Sun looking like more snow

Clearing again on Monday/Tuesday

Snow again on Wednesday!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Our first day skiing will be next Wednesday.... looking good indeed, just don't want to jinx it!!!!

socold

A Local
Ski Pass
May 5, 2008
Port Stephens
had a decent day up at remarks today and found some good lines, between the vis and ice under the new snow put me on my ass or head a few times but still had a good day.
Sorry no pics due to the vis.

socold

A Local
Ski Pass
May 5, 2008
Port Stephens
wasnt the driest snow around but was still good and light, the frozen snow underneith from the rain last friday does make for a bumpy ride off piste.
The vis was the biggest problem, at one point when going around the top of shadow bowl i couldnt see the edge of the cat track and ended up sitting at the top of shady lady for about 15 mins before i could see where i was going.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

iski4u2

First Runs
Apr 26, 2009
BofSki said:
iski4u2 said:
BofSki said:

NO attempt at spin on my behalf iski4u2.

Decision was made based on the weather - warm and raining, as well as keeping an eye on the chatter on the NZ forums. If anyones guilty of spin, its got to be RAL. I realise they have a business to run, but you have got to admit their outlook is somewhat 'rose tinted'.

That comment was not aimed at you but the people who posted the Video clip.

For once I am coming to the defence of RAL because they are not making out it is better than in looks, actually they are staying way to quite. They got jumped on by local business when they (RAL) used the term Spring in the first week of August in a snow report because of the damage it would cause to local accomodation and support services.
Not really having much of an effect at the moment to us but then its August now the the target of the July School Holidays was the best we ever had its got quiter only to day traffic, which really is not the bread and butter of the area. For some reason I find my self actually busier than last year probably because of the amount of open days instead of the 3 day blizzards.

Actually it quite pleasent not to have the mass crowds of past years up there.

Toto Warmlet

One of Us
Sep 2, 2003
For Iski to defend RAL is a major event.
Don't pay too much attention to the threads on the local channel.

iski4u2

First Runs
Apr 26, 2009
Red_switch you have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to Ruapehu and what has or is happening up there.

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
socold said:
wasnt the driest snow around but was still good and light, the frozen snow underneith from the rain last friday does make for a bumpy ride off piste.
The vis was the biggest problem, at one point when going around the top of shadow bowl i couldnt see the edge of the cat track and ended up sitting at the top of shady lady for about 15 mins before i could see where i was going.

Thanks.... snow-forecast.com is really pi55ing me off. First it has big dumps forecast, then a few days later they downgrade to 1cm.....
mad.gif

blackbox

Hard Yards
May 24, 2010
just had 3 great days up at Broken River. booked in for a night at cragieburn tommorow but it looks like we might bail on that and head south. cover at cragieburn doesn't look very good.
frown.gif

shred_gnar

Hard Yards
Aug 8, 2008
geelong
Benn0 said:
socold said:

Thanks.... snow-forecast.com is really pi55ing me off. First it has big dumps forecast, then a few days later they downgrade to 1cm.....
mad.gif

benno, the only thing consistent about snow-forecast is that they constantly get our hopes up and slowly crush them. season 08 09 in whistler they showed big dumps 2 or 3 days out then the day before it was supposed to fall it'd get downgraded to a couple cm.
now i have given up looking at weather predictions any further out than 3 days.

Mark102

A Local
Jul 5, 2002
Victor Harbor & Adelaide
And now they are saying the snow is back on for the weekend...
rolleyes.gif
Hope for the best and see what happens I guess.

Not liking the comment about Craigieburn sucking. Hope BR is still ok given Craigieburn is adjacant? We're staying at BR for 4 nights starting Sat but were planning on doing a couple of days at craigieburn as well. Hmmm

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Treble Cone - Aug 02

This was just after a weekend where it rained to a fairly high level. Rained in the Main basin, snowed in the Saddle - not bad up high but quite wet lower down. Quite good skiing early in the Saddle, harder going when the new snow got chopped up. The Main basin looked quite sad in comparison to the same time last year, but the trails were still pretty good.

Waiting for the Saddle to open. Was originally meant to be 11:30 but was delayed to 12:30.
001_TC_Saddle_gate.jpg

While waiting for that had a few runs in Powderbowl.
004_TC_Powderbowl.jpg

005_TC_Powderbowl.jpg

007_TC_Powderbowl.jpg

Lower part of the Main basin looking a bit sad - although not quite as bad as that looked. The trails were in good condition - but in a good year you can ski all the terrain.
008_TC_Main_basin.jpg

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Treble Cone - Aug 02 (cont)

Saddle opened and was in reasonably good shape.
009_TC_Saddle.jpg

010_TC_Saddle.jpg

012_TC_Saddle_chair.jpg

Looking towards Gotliebs
013_TC_Saddle_chair.jpg

The only reason for taking this pic was because we occasionally get questions about the beginner terrain at TC. Well here is about the extent of it ...
016_TC_Poma.jpg

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Thanks Heinz, still thinking of doing a day at TC, but only if we get a good dump before hand. Otherwise we might head down to CP.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Saddle still looks good Heinz but Home Basin a bit glum, with its low altitude the base always seem thin in my experience, right at the edge of the natural snowline, looks wet down in the valleys?

Bushy69

Hard Yards
Aug 1, 2008
Perth, WA
Hi All,

Here are some pics of our trip to NZ. The first bunch of pics are from Cardrona from the 5th August to 8th August. Started with a Bluebird day, couple of snowy/foggy days in between, followed by another BB day (but this time on 20cm of powder). This was our first trip to Cardrona, and we found the terrain really good for a family group with kids ranging from 3 to 13. My wife and myself are intermediate skiers, and found the greens really easy, the blues were right in our ability range, and the couple of blacks we ventured down were manageable. We did expect a little more from the kids ski school. We had all 4 in all day classes for the entire time, and they never really built any relationship with the instructors, as they were rotated so often. Nothing against the instructors who were all first class.

This is the Macdougall's Quad on 5th August.
cardrona1.jpg

Looking right from Macdougall's Quad with The Whitestar Express Lift and Terrain Park in the distance
cardrona2.jpg

Foggy Day on the Quad.. low vis, but the snow was good.
cardrona3.jpg

West Arch and Kids Snow School from the Noodle Bar balcony.
cardrona4.jpg

The drive down from Cardrona.. shuddderrrr. Actually it was not too bad, I thought it would have been worse.
cardrona5.jpg

My wife leading my 5yr old down Skyline. Great run for the little fella and beginners.
cardrona6.jpg

My wife and older kids about to shoot down All Nations to the Whitestar Express.
cardrona7.jpg

Highway 89 down to the Captain's Express (probably after a stop at the Captain's Cafe).
cardrona8.jpg

The Over Run heading back to the top of Whitestar then down to Base. Nice views, and a good shoulder workout at times.
cardrona9.jpg

Hope the pics are useful for those on their way to Cardrona. If they are clogging up the forum, let me know and I will remove them, or list them as links.

Bushy69

Hard Yards
Aug 1, 2008
Perth, WA
And here are some pics from Treble Cone on the 10th and 11th August. Blue skies for the first day, and overcast on the 11th with very light snowfalls all day (and windy at times.... with the Saddle Quad being put on wind hold for a few hours). To give you an idea of the wind gust strength, my older two kids were some of the last to go up the Saddle Quad before it was closed, and they were putting their arms out at the top, and the wind was blowing them uphill to the summit (which they loved doing). My impressions of TC.... not for the beginner at all. Heinz's pic of the Poma pretty much sums up the Beginner terrain. Easy Rider (the main zig zag Green run down from the top of the Volkswagen 6) would probably be called a blue run at any other resort. Personally, I would suggest a few of the Blue runs would be easier for beginners and low intermediates than the narrow Easy Rider (eg.. Main Street, Pete's Treat and Wide Glide). My wife was intimidated by the Blue runs, and commented that it was just hard work. My kids on the other hand just loved Saddle Basin, and rated TC highly. Interestingly, considering TC is not really aimed at families (simply because the terrain is a bit tricky), I found the ski school much more personal than Cardrona, with the kids skiing with the same instructors for the entire day, and parents being able to have lunch with the kids. Not only that, but at the end of each day, the instructors gave us a rundown of what they did and how they progressed (and the head instructor seemed to also be updated, as he often would catch up with me at the end of the day to talk about the kids progress). What more can you ask for... well done TC.

The V6 and bottom part of Easy Rider.
treblecone1.jpg

TC Base Buildings (not a lot there... but it does the job). On a busy day, not much room for lunch.
treblecone2.jpg

Top of the Saddle Quad (you can see the quad lift in the right). Personally, that view of Lake Wanaka alone is worth a day pass at TC.
treblecone3.jpg

The run down Main Street. IMO, this should be the run that beginners/intermediates have lessons (as it is nice and wide).
treblecone4.jpg

Last pic of TC looking up the mountain from Base. Snow Makers were pretty much running 24/7 while we were there.
treblecone5.jpg

Hope the pics are useful for those on their way to TC. As before, if they are clogging up the forum, let me know and I will remove them, or list them as links.

Cham

One of Us
Jul 11, 2002
Vic
Never seen the Main Basin of TC in what I would call great conditions. Not as bad as what in looks in your shots Heinz but never anything to write home about.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Porters today
30cm fresh at least over T3
Bluff was a treat...Big Mama didn't get her boy today...protecting the new xplorers...bit scratchy at the bottom.
In a word
Epic

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Bushy69 said:
Hope the pics are useful for those on their way to TC. As before, if they are clogging up the forum, let me know and I will remove them, or list them as links.

No, perfectly fine.
thumbsup.gif

It is just what most people are after. You get more complaints when you report without pics.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Cham said:
Never seen the Main Basin of TC in what I would call great conditions. Not as bad as what in looks in your shots Heinz but never anything to write home about.

Treble Cone Main Basin August 2009

Powderbowl
210_TC_Powderbowl.jpg

211_TC_Powderbowl.jpg

213_TC_carpark.jpg

Sundance (amazing difference - no snow there at all this year)
215_TC_Sundance.jpg

216_TC_Sundance.jpg

217_TC_Sundance.jpg

219_TC_Sundance.jpg

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Isobel & Tyndall glaciers - August 03

Rather than retyping stuff I'll just quote my original report.

Heinz said:
Excellent day up in thr Tyndall glacier area (take note Southern Lakes Heliski). There was a SLH crew also operating out of Charlie Ewings place at Cattle Flat probably flying in the area south of Black peak - so maybe conditions not so good down Qtn way?

Not a big powder day but given the recent weather one that certainly exceeded expectations. The plan was to get as high as possible above the freeze line from the weekend and where we went had a fair amount above 2000m. We also needed to stick to mellow terrain as avi hazard was significant. We saw quite a bit of slide activity flying over Fog Peak area.

Started off with a couple of cruisy runs on Isobel glacier, just a dusting a powder but a very consistent base which continued some way down - nice wide open skiing and no nasty surprises in the way of wind slab or rain crust. Moved onto Anstead for another 3 runs in similiar conditions - real spring skiing - was quite warm. Stopped there for lunch. Then highlight of the day was on the side Tyndall glacier itself. A shadier aspect and boot deep powder. Was quite a bit of avalanche debris at the bottom so picked up a bit higher. Cloud started to come in and we thought fro a moment that was it, but cleared again and got another run in on Isobel. Great skiing just being able to let the skis run.

So a great day despite not being a big powder one. Certainly much easier than TC though.

Start of the day - flying above the valley cloud
018_Heli_Matuki_inversion.jpg

020_Heli_inversion.jpg

Rob Roy glacier
019_Rob_Roy_glacier.jpg

Isobel glacier
023_Isobel.jpg

024_Isobel.jpg

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Isobel & Tyndall glaciers - August 03 (cont)

View of the Richardsons
025_Richardsons.jpg

Tyndall glacier
028_Tyndall.jpg

029_Tyndall.jpg

030_Tyndall.jpg

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Buchanans - Triple peak, Mt. Alta - August 04

Heinz said:
Another good day of August 'Spring' skiing in the Buchanans, starting in the north, then around Triple peak. Powder on the upper sections (10 cm) gradually thinning out as we got lower but all on a predictable firm base. After lunch we headed further south to Mt. Alta and skied the sunny west side where I can't recall having been before. Watched a slide go off lower down in front of us, we traversed before we got there and got two long steepish pitches of spring corn snow - great but not normally what you expect in August. It is just so warm at the moment. Had the Ops manager from TC skiing with us today.

On a run called Tonys (after the first guy to ski a million vert ft with HMH) in the Triple Peak area.
033_NB_Tonys.jpg

Tonys chutes - sadly just too dangerous to ski at the moment
035_NB_Tonys.jpg

At lunch we looked across and contemplated the sunny face of Mt. Alta and some August spring corn.
Just below where we traversed across to the saddle on the left a slide went off in front of us with the layer of recent snow releasing. You get an idea of the size of it by looking at the people of the saddle below. Was some great corn though down to the saddle and even better heading left below it.
037_SB_Alta.jpg

038_SB_Alta.jpg

More runs back on Triple peak
039_Triple.jpg

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
North Harris - Black peak, Craig Royston - August 05

Heinz said:
Today didn't look like it was going to happen for a long time. The valley cloud was meant to clear off early but we were sitting down at Cattle flat waiting ... The clouds were opening up gradually but rather too slowly. Had lunch early and were starting to think that was it but at 12:30 they made the call to have a look knowing it was clear above. Flew over the TC road then a couple of seconds of cloud then blue sky above a sea of cloud just sitting below the landing zone on Escapade off Black Peak - so it was all on!

Good snow - short run but it was just a jumping off point. We were headed in the direction of Craig Royston - hit another run on the way which was crusty, but Craig Royston delivered the goods. 10 cms of powder on a firm base, no wind effect, wide open and consistent made for fast fun skiing making up for lost time. Couldn't ski the full extent of the run because of the conditions lower down but we were able to crank out a few fast runs, letting the skis run. Smiles all round. Special mention for one of the Taupo boys who skied a line which had a turn about 1 foot away from the big bluff on the left side of the run! Did a few different lines from that landing then a final run back on Escapade on the way back. So we managed to get a days quota of 7 runs in about 3 hours.

Now hoping to get something out of the system arriving on the weekend.

Had to wait some time for the valley cloud to break up. Finally we were able to get up through and above it.
Here is Mt. Aspiring appearing above it.
041_Aspiring_inversion.jpg

Escapade off Black peak
045_NH_Escapade.jpg

some activity there as well
047_NH_Escapade.jpg

Looking across to the back of Treble Cone
046_back_of_TC.jpg

Unfortunately didn't take any decent pics on Craig Royston - we weren't stopping very often at all.

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
Just got back from 1.5 weeks skiing the Canterbury fields + some heliskiing with Methven heli.

Wed 11th - Methven Heli - good snow although stability meant we were a little restricted vs. previous trips still very good skiing with boot deep freshies in the arrowsmiths with a regular crew
thur 12th - Craigiburn - very windy day prior to the rain event - great windbuff
13/14th - rain days stayed down in Springfield
Sun 15th Porters - pretty hard but softened up for corn
Mon 16th - Friday 20th - Craigieburn (staying on the mtn)
Sat 21st - Hutt

There have been a few comments about cover not being good at Craigiburn, having just returned we had great skiing on the upper two tows including fresh snow on Wed and Thursday and epic lines along the ridge line (still getting freshies on Friday afternoon in Middle/North Basin with only a 2 minute walk down to the bend in the road for the hike back up the road - sure the bottom access tow is pretty bare but you generally don't ski that anyway and enough snow to get down. Sure the bottom part of the hill isn't great compared to previous seasons but top half is covered well.

Someone made a comment about the staff at Craigieburn being rude. We found them to be great for our 6 nights, really friendly and helpful. Spent a few nights drinking with them in the bar to the early hours of the morning and getting freshies with them.

blackbox

Hard Yards
May 24, 2010
was also up at cragie thurs/fri - epic fresh lines on thursday morning! glad we went up, we were contemplating heading down to wanaka instead. phew

thrashed the skis pretty hard on the rocks though
frown.gif
even up top there was some pretty shallow rocks.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
North Harris - August 09

Heinz said:
biggrin.gif
That's more like it. August powder. This is how it is meant be be!
Great day in the North Harris today. 25 cms of new snow. Had to try a few runs to find the really good stuff though. First couple of runs around Fog peak and a bit further out had a thin rime crust layer - still good skiing, just not quite prime powder. But then we got back onto Rollercoaster and it was all good - consistent dry powder on runs of 2000+ vert ft which were great from top to bottom. After a slightly slow start looking for the good stuff we managed to get 10 runs in.

Group with our guide Roger - Craig Royston, Rob Roy & Aspiring in the background.
065_NH_Rollercoaster_Stewart_Roger.jpg

The skiing on Rollercoaster was all good ...
067_NH_Rollercoaster.jpg

had to traverse an old slide
070_NH_Rollercoaster.jpg

but it was worth it
072_NH_Rollercoaster.jpg

074_NH_Rollercoaster.jpg

076_NH_Rollercoaster.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a