New Zealand 2010 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

hpsauce

A Local
Ski Pass
May 19, 2008
Benn0 I flew to Dunedin said:
Hmmm....good to know. Into Dunedin is usually a bit cheaper.....but fewer flight options. I've looked at the Dunedin option but never used it. Might try that next year

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Yep, I was limited to days I could fly, but got through the airport fairly quickly.

I had heard the drive was 3.5 hours from Wanaka to Dunedin, but the airport is 30mins outside of Dunedin. Maybe 3 hours with breaks?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

robbied

First Runs
May 14, 2008
Getting to NZ is easy. For me its kinda like going interstate. The flight goes quickly.
Customs is quick. Just pickup the car from Christchurch/Qtown and you have your choice of several mountains within 1 hour driving time.
Food is great, people are chill, alcohol is cheap, accomodation is cheap.
The vibe in the towns and on the mountains is completely different.
If your there, your there to ski and it shows, everyone is stoked.
Personally I cannot even compare NZ to Aus skiing wise, its just on a completely different level.

Mark102

A Local
Jul 5, 2002
Victor Harbor & Adelaide
Heinz said:
The guide behind me I think might have been Chris Cochrane (aka Roachy) - based in Qtn. I didn't actually ski with him that day but did on another day along with Roger, Whitney, Anna, & Davey at various times. They are all very good. The pilot at the back is known as Spinner (don't actually know his real name), but he is a bloody good pilot who really enjoys his work.

Had a heli day yesterday with Whit and he is an absolute champion!!! Was a last minute decision after a 4 day backcountry avalanche course with Aspiring guides. Got some great turns there but was craving some big easy vertical. Had an epic holiday!!!

A report with plenty of pics will come in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Aspiring guides is Whitneys summer job (previously Wild walks) - he is chief guide there - doing walks around the Southern lakes region. He has been around Wanaka for close to 30 yrs.

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Benn0 said:
I flew to Dunedin, it didn't take that long from Dunedin airport to Wanaka, about 2.5 hours.... If you were staying in Wanaka, flying to QT doesn't give you much advantage.

ah, really? I'll give you three.

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
hpsauce said:
koopsmith said:
Arrived back tonight from 15 days in Springfield and Wanaka.
Got to Porters, Mt Hutt, Mt Olympus, Roundhill, Cardrona, Treble Cone and Coronet Peak.
Pretty average year for NZ snow, but we still had some EPIC days.
Short report may follow when I have recovered from two weeks of beer, pies and long days on the snow...
I'd like to hear a report on the strategy of staying at Springfield as a base for club fields. I've been considering this.

Did both springfield for 4 days and staying on mountain (Craigiburn) for 7 days this year and in previous years have always stayed in Springfield.

Both pros and cons but on balance think staying on mnt wins relatively easily for me.

+ves.
More relaxed/less hassle, get to sleep in & still be first on hill, less fuel, can have beers straight after skiing without worrying above being over the limit, no dirt road or having to put on chains on snow days, get to meet more people on the hill, great atmosphere, occassionally get hill when road is blocked so freshies for longer

-ves
Bad weather days when mtn closed (drinking days) unless you take a drive,
No mobile or email (unless @ temple for net) - some pple like this
Accom can sometimes be pretty basic (I don't mind this)
Cabin fever

One option is to split a week or a couple of weeks staying at a couple of club fields (I'm planning on doing this next year aiming for Olympus and Craigieburn).

I'm sure there will be some springfield supporters...

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Roundhill 1st September

45188_10150247249115112_801325111_14539491_1201872_n.jpg

47836_10150247249520112_801325111_14539495_3568449_n.jpg

No one around either. That's mid-week for you I guess.

Toto Warmlet

One of Us
Sep 2, 2003
Hmmm,
How is the new tow logistically and what are school hols crowds like there?
Might have to reroute Sept trip to Northland.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Bushy69

Hard Yards
Aug 1, 2008
Perth, WA
ponyrider said:
I love the feeling you get when you rock up at the bottom of Treble Cone and see that sign hanging up there - it just screams "this is an epic mountain so beware". Love the place.
Yer I like the sign as well.
tc.jpg

Budgiesmuggler said:
The other thing about NZ is that most of the people there can actually ski. No dodging beginners or intermediates curling their way down black runs.
You obviously did not ski past me then ;-) I agree though, skiing standard was pretty high IMO.
hpsauce said:
Except the "travel times" equation....which seems sydney/melbourne centric. But if, for example, from QLD or northern NSW (maybe WA?).......then NZ can be WAY quicker and less difficult in terms of travel.
From Perth, depart Air NZ 7:30pm, arrive Auckland 2am, arrive QT 5am Perth time (9am NZ Time). By the time I collected my jucy Rental in QT, 24 hours with no sleep. Drive to Wanaka was a blur. First day in NZ is a total write off, and pretty much just a rest and recover day.
Benn0 said:
I found the atmosphere at Cardy not so nice as Falls. I don't know if it was just because it was so busy, or there were too many teenage boarders with too much attitude or what. Just wasn't all that pleasant.
I could not agree more. I really liked Cardy, and will be back next year, but did find the atmosphere was a bit cold.
Benn0 said:
I reckon pumping out 11 hrs in a car licks balls.
Oh god that made me laugh.

I think one of the big factors that is making NZ a great option for Oz skiers is the current currency cross rates. At $1.25+ NZ to the AU$ (and $1.31 when I prepaid a lot of stuff), it almost becomes a no brainer. From Perth to QT for almost 2 weeks was cheaper than Oz (and that is with a family of 6). I am happy to blow a day on travel to save $$, and at the end, we do have an OS holiday, which is a real bonus. Oh yer, and the full service Air NZ flight made the trip across pretty comfy (kids commented... best flight ever).

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Red_switch said:
Benn0 said:
I flew to Dunedin, it didn't take that long from Dunedin airport to Wanaka, about 2.5 hours.... If you were staying in Wanaka, flying to QT doesn't give you much advantage.

Three what? Minutes?

If its an hour from QT and 2.5 hours from Dunedin, then the extra time traveled isn't worth the extra cost, is it?

oscar456

First Runs
Aug 14, 2010
oreo said:

Nice place for skiing. Which place it is? I love to ski. I think this is the best time to do. I am planning to go to any place for skiing. I think this would be the best place. What others say.

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Benn0 said:
Red_switch said:
Benn0 said:

Three what? Minutes?

If its an hour from QT and 2.5 hours from Dunedin, then the extra time traveled isn't worth the extra cost, is it?

I was referring to Dunedin-Wanaka in 2.5 hours, even from the airport you'd need a bloody clear run and to absolutely smoke the manuka gorge. 3 hours is standard to Qtown/Wanaka from Duds, it often takes longer though...

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Toto Warmlet said:
Hmmm,
How is the new tow logistically and what are school hols crowds like there?
Might have to reroute Sept trip to Northland.

Which school holidays? I've only been here for one season. The NZ school holidays in July this year were very busy on the t-bar and platter lifts. The rope tow was, baring a couple of days, practically deserted.

I don't think there are any more school holidays that will effect the resort? I think NZ school holidays start the weekend of 25-26th September and that's when the resort closes (26th Sept).

Australian school holidays have exactly zippo impact on crowds here. It's the mackenzie bubble I guess.

It's generally deserted during the week and moderately busy on the weekend. Once again, on the t-bar and platter lift mostly. On a powder day the rope tow can get a bit of a workout. But I've only seen the ropetow 'crowded' (as in a line) 3 days this season.

Rope tow conditions are usually - good skiing in the shady sections - good spring skiing after about 11am elsewhere. Access to decent backcountry options of all aspects and conditions. Powder day - everything is great.

koopsmith

One of Us
Jun 14, 2008
hpsauce said:
koopsmith said:
Arrived back tonight from 15 days in Springfield and Wanaka.
Got to Porters, Mt Hutt, Mt Olympus, Roundhill, Cardrona, Treble Cone and Coronet Peak.
Pretty average year for NZ snow, but we still had some EPIC days.
Short report may follow when I have recovered from two weeks of beer, pies and long days on the snow...
I'd like to hear a report on the strategy of staying at Springfield as a base for club fields. I've been considering this.
Funny you ask that. Our plans were to have our first week in NZ this year as an all out assault on the Canterbury clubbies. However, we ended up having a few snowboard beginners join our tour and to cater for the newbies (ie minimal nut crackers and some green/blue terrain) and given fairly average snow cover (ie hard work at a clubbie for a noob) we headed to Porters and Hutt for 3 days instead of craigieburn, Broken River and Temple Basin.
That being said, Springfield is really well located to give "easy" access to all of the Canterbury resorts, much more so than Methven which really is only good for Hutt, Olympus and maybe Porters. Springfield is also well located for Cheeseman, Craigieburn, BR, and Temple Basin.

However, we did make it to Mt Olympus (which is certainly a mission to get to from anywhere) and the place is pretty special. It holds snow so well and maintains great cover for long after the last snowfalls. With people in our group having now been to Craigieburn, Broken River and Mt Olympus the plan for next year will be an actual assault on the clubbies and those still in the throws of learning will have to head to the resorts at their own peril. We decided the best way to do it is to hang out in Springfield hitting up which ever resorts we feel and then when a front comes through high tail it up to Olympus and/or Craigieburn with all our kit and book in for a few-days/week with the possibility that we get snowed in.

As a basis for experiencing several club resorts in one trip, I see no reason why Springfield wouldnt be the ideal base (other than the fact its pretty small and quiet). And you cant go wrong staying at Smylies hostel which our posse has done for the last two years.
However, to really get into the clubbies if you dont mind being mobile with all your gear, I would choose to stay on the mountain at Olympus, Craigieburn/BR (or even Cheeseman, albeit down the hill a bit).

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Red_switch said:
Benn0 said:
Red_switch said:
Benn0 said:

Three what? Minutes?

I was referring to Dunedin-Wanaka in 2.5 hours, even from the airport you'd need a bloody clear run and to absolutely smoke the manuka gorge. 3 hours is standard to Qtown/Wanaka from Duds, it often takes longer though...
Yep, I'd heard it was going to be 3.5 hours, but we left the car hire at Dunedin airport at 5pm and got to our accom in Wanaka at 7:30pm. And we weren't speeding, the crappy hire car couldn't even do 100kph uphill. Didn't have any traffic though.....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Surprisingly all the Mackenzie Fields were closed today after yesterday, which from all reports was epic most places & I missed due to being in transit....

Admittedly was a bit windy this morning, but climbed to above 2000m to get the legs in this afternoon on the Two Thumb Range & was immaculate 't-shirt' weather, a bit a of spindrift coming of high peaks west of the lake, but even the big boys were standing clear.

Cursing the closed NZ ski field access roads for lack of easy backcountry access on the 5km walk across the old lateral moraines on the way out....

Benn0

Old n' Crusty
Sep 7, 2005
Brisbane
Red_switch said:
I'd check your watch then, it's ~260 km from the Dunedin Airport to Wanaka.
Really? Even coming back from Wanaka we left our accom at 10am and got to Dunedin center for lunch at 1pm. The airport is 20-30 mins before there.....

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Benn0 said:
Red_switch said:
I'd check your watch then, it's ~260 km from the Dunedin Airport to Wanaka.
Really? Even coming back from Wanaka we left our accom at 10am and got to Dunedin center for lunch at 1pm. The airport is 20-30 mins before there.....

Yep. I drive Dunedin - Qtown/Wanaka a lot, can be done in under 3 hours, but that's a bloody good run. If you're going from the airport into town there are a few handy shortcuts that remove the motorway and one-way system from the equation.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
A sound day of mishap & mayhem in the dogs life....

Earthquakes, mad highland graziers, rickety bridges, icy mountain goat skifield access tracks, sliding vans, rope toes & some solid mountains.... where too tomorrow?

Two Thumb Range - 1600hrs, 04th September 2010.
10.jpg

Toto Warmlet

One of Us
Sep 2, 2003
Well for Me..
I might mow some more of the lawn, though its been so damp it's mostly moss. Probably one of the better Sunday mornings of the season at Ruapehu tomorrow, but Mrs TW has an assignment to do.
Anyway, have a thought for James B and the Cantabrians, and their dogs too, all badly shaken up.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass