New Zealand 2011 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
K@os said:
Sara - dont be put off by Southern Lakes. The year I did heli with them Avi risk was EXTREME, so terrain was limited. 2009 - 3 Australian buried, 1 died. the week we were there someone died on the way down from Coronet Peak in an avi....one of the Southern Lakes guides was 1st onsite to help dig him out. The grouyp that went over to Wanaka said they set off several avis - most of them remotely thankfully.....so the risk was very real that year. The guide we were with was an older guy who has been doing the gig for al ong time and knows his stuff - you can be 100% confident in his abilities.

There was high winds the days before and the day we went out the sun didnt come out at all, leaving the area we were in very icey, with the exception one of the lower runs. I certainly dont blame the guides for getting it wrong.

All I can say is try to get in with the group that go to their area around Wanaka. Have faith that you will be looked after if you find yourself having an absolutely terrible day. Personally I think my experience was a good one due to the refund we received - there is never a 100% guarantee that you will get powder, no matter how the marketing guys sell it to you.

Thanks Kaos, I really don't know much about heli and BC yet, but loving off piste and being bored with groomers, I really want to get into it. I am sure they all know their stuff, just trying to get all possible info before spending my money
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

gibbsy

Addicted
Aug 3, 2011
the gf and I will be roaming the clubbies from weds next week based out of the springfield hotel, always a fun place to chill with a beer and some crazy locals whilst plotting the next days missions... and meet anyone else on the same program!

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I will be in Methven from Thursday to Sunday ( Queenstown prior that ), see what I can score on those days.. Clubbies should be heaps of fun for you
thumbsup.gif

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
Also hitting the clubbies soon (Nick may see you around), at Temple Basin from Sunday 7th for a week and then staying on mtn @ Craigieburn from the 14th to 20th - the Springfield hotel is usually my booze restocking point when cabin fever sets in at Craigieburn - it's about as nz country pub as you can get.

Just need to find somewhere in Christchurch to watch the rugby this coming saturday night for the Wallabies/all blacks game where I won't be killed for wearing my wallabies jumper.

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
Hoping for better fortunes this year but don't thinking I'll be cheering too loudly if the Wallabies win.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
I arrive 17th for a 2 week clubfields tour. Based at Smylies in Springfield. Not much into religion but I may start prayn for some fresh in about a week

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I dislike religion but snow gods are different I reckon
wink.gif
I've made few prayers myself over the years. I promised them if they deliver, I will keep skiing until my days are over and will worship pristine snow forever

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Priest by name, monk by nature, atheist/pagan tendencies. I'll seek help from wotever deity deemed necessary - I aint fussy.

Tomess

First Runs
Jun 24, 2008
I am glad I am heading down at the end of September now, hoping NZ will get their fair share of snow between now and then.

As its been a while since I have been in queenstown,do those new cheap shuttles to coronet and the remarkables that leave from the snow centre operate in September? Specifically the end of September?

jk20

First Runs
Jun 3, 2011
Hi Guys,

Going Methven for a week mid september and planning to go mt hutt. Never been before so was just wondering if you guys have any advice about what we should do and anything around?

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Hi Folks,

Not sure why this thread has slowed in the last few days, would have thought that plenty are heading to NZ at the moment. Red Marmalade and myself are leaving Perth tonight for ChCh via Auckland. Will be in the Mackenzie (Fairlie) for the weekend. Then Queenstown for the rest of the week before moving on again.

Anyone around for a beer or even a ski?

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
snow.ginini.com
At Coronet Peak the crowds were absolutely insane during the Aussie school holidays and since then it's been relatively quiet on the mountain.

Having said that, it will get a bit busier with the Winter Games starting this weekend. There's already plenty of ski teams in town at the moment.

There's always an open invitation if anyone is heading to Coronet Peak. I'm up there most days.

asammutau

Hard Yards
May 13, 2009
Events at CP are in the following week. Do they close parts of the mountain off next week in preparation?

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
snow.ginini.com
From memory (which ain't great these days), they normally set up the course couple of days before. It's only the GS course that blocks off a good chunk of the mountain as it starts at the top of The Hurdle and finishes down near Rocky Gully.

The eastern side of Rocky Gully is pretty much off limits for a good chunk of the season for race training, but at least that's only a small section.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Well, made it to Fairlie and things don't look too good at the moment - but all may change come Monday. Looks like there is very little of interest left at Fox Peak (dam I was looking forward to going back), people are suggesting that Dobson hasn't much off the groomed trails either. Even the guy at the Top 10 is saying temps have been pushing 20 DegC during the week in town.

Thinking of driving to roundhill on Saturday if only to get the legs back as it looks a bit thin off the rope tow on the webcams. Supposed to be driving to Queenstown on Monday - that might be an adventure if the weather is as bad as forcast.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Re: Roundhill

It is thin on the ropetow. What is there skis well from around midday. If you want to check it out, best do it sooner rather than later. The tow doesn't have long to live with the snow unless they get something decent out of monday's storm.

There is a top-to-bottom race tomorrow which should be fun to watch (or compete in).

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Thanks for that oreo. Was tossing up a drive up to Dobson first then move on to Roundhill if necessary. That sort of 'side trip' would get me there about lunch time anyway.

I think I'll give the race a miss
wink.gif

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
Temple Basin has had some great corn this week and is holding up really well, just got in from night skiing which was pretty good as it was warmer today and still soft. We've had a number of staff and guides from the Mackenzie region up here at TB on their days off due to lack of snow down that way. touring is also really good up here at the moment.

Fingers crossed the Sund/Monday southerly storm reaches the Craigieburn as will be there from Sunday for the next week. Would be more comfortable if it was less easterly and more SSW.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Snow-forecast has issued a new forecast. Had to take a photo, because I don't think it'll be the same after the next update.

But there is always hope.

6034542583_ae43db1ed5.jpg

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
snow.ginini.com
oreo, some impressive figures (I'm with you on the figures not looking quite as impressive tomorrow, but what the hell)

Check out Craigieburn snow forecast.

cb.jpg

and it's getting a little chilly on Mt Cook. Best to pack an extra pair of socks.

cook.jpg

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Well we did drive up to Mt Dobson first this morning, and it looked pretty sad. Seemed like there was something just skiable on the trails, but the decider was a destinct lack of snow on the learners pomma for the +1.

Moved on to Roundhill. Pretty good skiing on the groomed slopes, but everything else was rock hard ice. Spend the day cruising around which was a good way to get the ski legs back anyway. Hice blue-bird day. Rope tow was running but given the cover (or lack off) and no significant softening during the day, I kept off it.

Waiting for the weather now to see what our next move will be.

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Just a side note on the tow - it faces west. The t-bar terrain faces south. There has been significant softening every day on the tow for the last two weeks. Today, the tow terrain after mid-day was soft with the strong sun and warm temps. The t-bar terrain, especially off the groomers, pretty solid.

BofSki

One of Us
Mar 8, 2009
Bunbury WA
Bugger - obviously should have given it a go after all
frown.gif
With no sign of softening elsewhere couldn't be bothered going back to car for nutcracker.

Shadow007

Hard Yards
Jan 25, 2010
Finally got a chance to log on - had a great trip - 2nd week of the Perth school holidays in July - just after / during the big dump.
Had an awesome day at Cardrona and 3 days at Coronet Peak - lots of fun
Tested out the new Drift Helmet cam - here's some footage for those that want to take a look - sorry about the jumping around, was my 1st time, but didnt come out too bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAAdDjG-YCE

Enjoy
smile.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/5444277/Skier-treks-five-hours-to-safety

A 55-year-old Christchurch woman who got lost on Coronet Peak while skiing trekked for five hours down hazardous mountain terrain in what has been called a story of miraculous survival.

Queenstown police received a call at 5.40pm on Saturday that a woman had failed to make her way to the skifield's base building as anticipated by her husband.

Coronet Peak staff were notified and they checked her ski pass and found it was last activated at 2.40pm.

The woman had skied down the M1 run with a colleague. They became separated on the top of the Meadows chairlift.

The woman then went left into Rocky Gully and did not want to go back up on the T-bar so she headed off in an easterly direction.

Acting Sergeant Blair Duffy, of Queenstown, said it was at this point the woman became disoriented.

Duffy believed the woman thought she was heading to the base of Coronet Peak when she came to a boundary fence.

At that point she dropped her skis and made her way down.

Skifield patrols searched and a helicopter was sent out but when police were notified she was missing there was only 20 minutes of light left before darkness.

Brian and Pauline Bayley, who live in Hunter Rd, near the bottom of Coronet Peak Station Rd, had watched the helicopter fly over their home on Saturday evening and knew something was wrong.

About 8.30pm, they received a knock on their door and they opened it to find a woman, who was quite stressed and exhausted, wearing ski boots and carrying only one ski pole, on their doorstep.

Brian Bayley said after speaking to her, his understanding was that she became lost and when she didn't want to use the T-bar in the Rocky Gully she thought she would get would get on to a road to take her to Coronet base area.

However, there was no road.

"By the time she got too low she couldn't walk back so she took an alternative route and walked down the mountain."

She left her skis by a pine tree, and on her walk down "busted" her way through hundreds of wilding conifers, rocks, steep terrain, climbed two deer fences and was chased by cattle after walking through their paddock, much of it in the dark, Brian Bayley said.

"She had a strong survival will to come down a very difficult track and come through all sorts of hazards."

She endured several falls but, fortunately, received only a few grazes and bruises.

"The wonderful part of it was she was spared any serious damage," he said.

The lady had even asked police if her trousers were still intact after all her falls, Brian Bayley said.

Once she reached the bottom she headed for the nearest light she could see, which was their home, he said.

It was estimated by looking at a map that she had trekked more than 3km.

Pauline Bayley said when the woman arrived at their house she had blood on her hands and, although tearful, she was not hysterical and remained very well contained, she said.

"She was very courageous".

The Bayleys got her inside and said she was pleased to be able to take off her ski boots.

All she asked for was a cup of tea and a biscuit.

She remembered her husband's cellphone number and when he was called it was a "very happy reunion", Brian Bayley said.

The woman had told the Bayleys that she had stood on a rock to try to get the attention of the helicopter, with no success.

It was a great story of courage and survival and she was extraordinarily lucky that the evening was calm and there was a good moon, Brian Bayley said.

Duffy said the woman had been "knocked around" after taking on some fairly challenging terrain. The woman was a proficient skier but had not skied on Coronet for about 30 years.

Coronet Peak ski area manager Hamish McCrostie said he did not have the full details of what had happened and he had to find out from police how the woman ended up where she was.

"We are just gaining information as we can."

He said if anyone ever found themselves in an area they did not know, that they should stay put or retrace their steps but, most importantly, they should stay within the ski area boundary.

He said his team was doing a full report into the incident.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
The woman then went left into Rocky Gully and did not want to go back up on the T-bar so she headed off in an easterly direction.

I think next time she might take the T-bar instead.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Great marketing opportunity for another resort:

[Enter name] You won't get chased by cows.

wink.gif

Tilt

First Runs
Sep 17, 2003
We are scheduled to land in Queenstown tomorrow @ 13:30, the question is will the airport open in time?

Telestrom

A Local
Jun 3, 2002
Planet Tele
snow.ginini.com
I think the airport should be fully open tomorrow.

Just went past it a short while ago and they had all the snow clearing equipment out. Had around 10cm of new snow overnight, but has been mostly snowfree today.

Kahanamoku

One of Us
Sep 9, 2003
Traralgon
Visit site
Finally made it back from NZ on Tuesday (16th)... touch and go with Queenstown Airport though... flight back to Melbourne was delayed to 5PM, but at least it wasn't cancelled like the day-before (15th) flight was.

Interesting to note that the care hire places had put a block on all 2wd vehicles being rented.... feel sorry for those arriving the other day and not having a rental car to drive out with.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Not many AWD/FWD left when I was booking for next week. I went through multiple companies, they had it on display but on actual enquiry they were all booked out. I scored one last Subaru Legacy from Omega...

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
sara777 said:
Not many AWD/FWD left when I was booking for next week. I went through multiple companies, they had it on display but on actual enquiry they were all booked out. I scored one last Subaru Legacy from Omega...

Hertz have Ford Territory AWD or similar for all of next week

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Pricey pricey? I paid $NZ 245 for 4 days, including chains and no excess. They had one Ford Territory left for $108 per day..
frown.gif
( saving my FF points for Japan flight )

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
Anyone one done mt hutt on a weekend? thinking if taking the Friday night flight out after work to CC and then the Monday morning flight back to Melbourne arrivIng back at 8am hopefully get 2 days in.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Yep, done it few years ago, and flying again this Thursday after work, coming back Sunday. In case Mt Hutt is closed, have an alternative plans ( other ski fields in close proximity ). Methven i-Site is good source of info once you there... Hoping to catch the goodies as well
thumbsup.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass