Newbie to Canada (Advice)

swarmski

First Runs
Sep 6, 2013
Hi guys,

Me, mrs and the lil one (2 years) are looking at going to Canada for the snow season next year. Just wondering if you guys can help us out with a little bit of info?

Im an intermediate snowboarder, while the mrs is on the side of newbie/intermediate

1) Which resort/mountains would be best for us as a family?
2) How does Canada snow compare to Aus/NZ/Japan snow? I guess ive never really experienced much 'powder' and more wet slosh/ice here.
3) For accomodation, would it be best staying on the mountain, or is there places that offer transfers?
4) When is the best month to look at getting there?

Thanks heaps guys!

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
Ask MS for advice on these resorts:
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Whistler</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Banff</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Revelstoke</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Red</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Big White</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Fernie</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Kicking Horse</span>
Sun Peaks

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth

Others on here probably have a better idea of family friendly facilities but, really any of the well known resorts should be adequate.

2) How does Canada snow compare to Aus/NZ/Japan snow? I guess ive never really experienced much 'powder' and more wet slosh/ice here.

Way better than Aus/NZ, on par with Japan depending on the season. Maybe not as much snow inland as some of the northern Japanese resorts.

3) For accomodation, would it be best staying on the mountain, or is there places that offer transfers?

Stay on the mountain, there's not much reason to add the extra overhead of getting to the hill every day if you're travelling such a long distance to get there in the first place.

Coastal resorts like whistler you can generally get away with going as early as December, if you plan to be a fair way inland I'd suggest going in February as a general rule of thumb. This is just due to the quantity of snow that makes it inland during the early season, it takes a longer time to get a decent base away from the coast.

Last edited by a moderator:

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
depending on your tastes, budget and time of year, on-snow accommodation in Canada is very affordable and tends to be world's cheaper than what you might be used to in australia.

have a cruise around this website to give you a feel for accommodation on offer

http://www.alluradirect.com

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.

My picks would be Sun Peaks, Big White, Silver Star.

Its completely different stuff from what you get here dry and light. You will be depressed at the thought of skiing in Aust. after a trip to Canada.

Definitely stay on Mountain. I wont cost any more and you will only have to walk 100m or so to the nearest lift.

February March unless you are locked into school holidays only. Weekends to avoid if you can are Presidents WE and Family WE as they can be fairly crowded. The rest of the time it will seem like you have the place to yourself.

The photos in the Sun Peaks thread will give you a good idea of what to expect.

H

Hacski

swarmski said:
.... Me, mrs and the lil one (2 years) are looking at going to Canada for the snow season next year....
hi swarmski. Is the intention to go for the whole season, i.e. four months, or a shorter time during the season?

swarmski

First Runs
Sep 6, 2013
Thanks guys for your input!

To answer the question on how much time. Probably looking at 2 weeks at the moment....but im guessing you guys are going to convince me to stay longer? :p

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
cqen2l said:
Ask MS for advice on these resorts:
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Whistler</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Banff</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Revelstoke</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Red</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Big White</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Fernie</span>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Kicking Horse</span>
Sun Peaks

Oi !!

Bash it up your ass !!
tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Oh,.... you forgot Apex.

outtahere.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
BilbyBill said:

My picks would be Sun Peaks, Big White, Silver Star.

Its completely different stuff from what you get here dry and light. You will be depressed at the thought of skiing in Aust. after a trip to Canada.

Definitely stay on Mountain. I wont cost any more and you will only have to walk 100m or so to the nearest lift.

February March unless you are locked into school holidays only. Weekends to avoid if you can are Presidents WE and Family WE as they can be fairly crowded. The rest of the time it will seem like you have the place to yourself.

The photos in the Sun Peaks thread will give you a good idea of what to expect.

What he said ^^^

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Southern part of Brisbane
I would recommend Big white - great family resort - good on snow accommodation. Best to stay at a place with on snow accommodation - so much easier with a little one than having to get on a bus with skis and baby. Much easier for you to meet up with one another in case one has to stay with baby while the other one skis. Any time after the first week of jan is recommended - but as you have a little one who is not in school - then go after the aussies have all had to leave to make the new school year in Aus - so after 26 jan.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
I would recommend Big White, Sunpeaks, Silverstar, Fernie in no particular order. We have skied them all and have 2 kids. Any of them will be fine for you.

sircrackerjc

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2011
Hobart, Tas
Hi all,
Sorry to jump onto someone else's thread but in a similar situation. (minus the kids)

Heading to Canada Feb 2-23ish 2014 with an ever growing group.
We range from high intermediate with an increasing park orientation to low intermediate-just starting to enjoy tackling blue runs, think whitestar express at cardies and blue ribbon at Hotham.

The plan at this stage is to split 18-20 days between Silver Star and Big White (friend doing season at BW)
wanting to stay on snow in something self contained and board/ski 8ish days at each.

Questions are; are the mountains big enough to spend 8 days and not venture onto too much tricky black stuff?
Terrain park quality and size?
Will getting a transfer from one to the other be very difficult?
Are we better off just spending the whole time at Whistler and lessening the travel? with less crowds being better of course.

I thank your great minds in advance.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Mt Hotham = 3 square kilometers,.... Longest run = 2.6 klm

Big White = 11 square kilometers,.... Longest run = 7.6 klm.

The math is right there.

I assume you've looked at both the BW &amp; SS websites &amp; trail maps ?

sircrackerjc

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2011
Hobart, Tas
Yeah looked at the trail maps and stuff but that really puts it into perspective as could only find lift lengths not run lengths..
Cheers, just wanting to know we are booking the right thing.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
You'd have a great time no matter where you went in either BC or Alberta.

BC has more &quot;on snow&quot; options at the big resorts though.

Your group may find SS a bit of a challenge too.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
What about learning to ski powder?
Tentatively planning a Canada trip and I'm wondering whether to factor in some lessons.
I've skied in Italy and Québec but all on fairly hard-packed snow.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
person s said:
Tentatively planning a Canada trip and I'm wondering whether to factor in some lessons.

That could come down to what time of the year you want to travel.

January will get you the best chance for consistent powder.

Got a &quot;short list&quot; of potential places ?

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Then,..... There are days like this.....

I was skiing Apex that day,.... in conditions almost as epic.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
main street said:
person s said:
That could come down to what time of the year you want to travel.
January will get you the best chance for consistent powder.
Got a &quot;short list&quot; of potential places ?
not at all - still early stage, but Jan most likely
have non-skiing spouse, prob also going to Hawaii en route

sircrackerjc

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2011
Hobart, Tas
Would the best way of getting from Vancouver to Silver Star or Big White be the flight from Kelowna then a bus of some sort? Or to just to bus all the way?

Cheers

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I'd prefer the flight option,.... But if it's a cracking day you'll love the scenery across the Coqahalla on the bus.

Coin toss.

sircrackerjc

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2011
Hobart, Tas
main street said:
I'd prefer the flight option,.... But if it's a cracking day you'll love the scenery across the Coqahalla on the bus.

Coin toss.

Thanks,
Is there such a thing as a bus from YVR airport to the top of SS of BW?
Apologies for all the questions, beginning the booking process.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
No,..... You'll need to get into Kelowna &amp; then catch a shuttle up to the resort.

From a logistics perspective, it's far simpler to fly &amp; have the shuttle pick you up at the airport.

sircrackerjc

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2011
Hobart, Tas
main street said:
No,..... You'll need to get into Kelowna &amp; then catch a shuttle up to the resort.

From a logistics perspective, it's far simpler to fly &amp; have the shuttle pick you up at the airport.

Thanks a bunch

Snowfi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 27, 2011
Bw shuttle also picks up from greyhound station in kelowna. For me it would come down to how much gear i had sitting under the bus and how many stops the greyhound makes. Flying has always been our choice even when we are staying in kelowna for a couple days. Accom and flights more expensive between xmas and 2 jan.

workandski

First Runs
Oct 6, 2013
BC, Canada
Visit site
From my experience you're also less likely to run into the 'greyhound crazies' heading east. It's rare to be on a greyhound and not have one slightly unbalanced person on the bus! Though at least you will have someone sitting next to you :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass