NewTurns Annual Trip Report

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by NewTurns, Sep 30, 2018.

1. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Today was perfect backcountry touring weather out of Thredbo. A cloudless blue sky, and a gentle cooling breeze that eased off slowly over the course of the day.
    I had wondered if I could get out and ski Little Austria in a day....
    Given my age and condition it was always more a hope than a realistic goal but I got away early enough and took my time getting into the work up to Kosi Lookout.
    Was passed by two enthusiasts on mountain bikes. Looked like they were suffering.

I pushed on and had a spell at Rawsons Pass and refueled before heading up the Kosi Road and then veering right to head down to Muellers Pass.
    My plan had been to go over Moraine Pass and along the track under Mt Lee. Have a good look at Lake Albina and make for Little Austria.
    I mucked up and stayed too high, not realising there was a decent cornice to avoid which forced me left.
    Too stubborn to retreat I grunted up Muellers Peak and the game was up. It was about midday, and I needed a spell and a feed.
    So I decided Muellers was it for the day and relaxed and took some photos with the new camera.

This was a group on top of Townsend.

Bogong.
    I had a great ski off Muellers Peak in lovely corn until I ran out just past the flat of Muellers Pass and then skins on for the grunt up towards Kosi and Rawsons again.
    I really felt it and knew the choice not to pursue my Plan A had been the right one.
    Cracked a can of Coke at Rawsons for a caffeine sugar hit and onwards home.

Digress..the zoom on new gear goes hard. This shot of Seaman's Hut and a couple of tourers was from Muellers Peak.

The Kosi Cornice breaking like a big one out the back.
    Pushed on back but stopped to check out 4 folk perched on the edge of the cornice before they dropped in. Gives me the heebie jeebies.

They ripped it good. Well done.
    I flogged back to Thredbo and wobbly legged took the download. I was done.
    I will spare all readers my usual moanings and resolutions on losing weight and getting fitter. All the jogging and swimming and gym in the world I don't think substitutes for getting out there regularly and building a specific base.
    Had a quick kip, showered and sliding into a nice bottle of red post a carb replenishing pasta.
    All good.

#1 NewTurns, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

This shot puts things in perspective for the Cornice Crew.

3. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I don’t know much about these things, but surely that’s not so smart? I remember those dudes that got buried out there.

NewTurns likes this.
  4. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

A cornice let go tragically a while back at Blue Lake. Anyone who has read the moving accounts from folk who saw it happened and tried to rescue would think twice for sure.

5. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah I knew a few involved in the S&R in an official capacity. Certainly had long lasting effects on them.

NewTurns likes this.
  6. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Lazy gentle turns all to myself on Muellers. Nothing special, except for the special crunchy gravelly sound of untramelled corn.

skifree and Billy_Buttons like this.
  7. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Ahhhh...that solitude. You surely must be having a great mental high from that! Well done! :)

NewTurns likes this.
  8. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Just to put a bit of perspective, cornices should always be treated with caution, but the Blue Lake episode was wind loaded fresh, not compacted spring. Mind you a spring compacted can be treacherous on the wrong day (bit of rain for instance) but fresh wind loaded is always IMO. But you never know how much experience or knowledge people have when watching, I saw some dudes xc ski across Cootapatamba Lake one season, early, way too early, we were totally wondering if they would go for a swim.

skifree and NewTurns like this.
  9. seak

seak One of Us

One wonders how European Alps or Canadian Rockies SAR personnel get on then...

10. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I would think anyone involved in a death anywhere is affected. PTSD is a well known problem amongst emergency services workers.

NewTurns likes this.
  11. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us

Haha that's my party. My mate with the orange pants is visible for miles. That's me in black on the far left.

cin and NewTurns like this.
  12. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

How hard was the slog up Townsend?