Nice cheap resort in Italy

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Just as a general point, we've been skiing in Italy a few times. A few years back we planned a two week trip to the Dolomites, and were going to head around the corner to St Anton for a third week. Then we discovered some friends were coming to our village in the Dolomites and we checked out what was involved if we stayed put to ski week three. For the Dolomiti Superski pass weeks one and two involve a ski lift ticket price of around AUD$50 per day. For week three, on the other hand, passes were the equivalent of AUD$18 per day. Eighteen bucks! For 450 lifts, 1,200km of piste and all the fun stuff that happens around that, and without the hassle of packing and moving? St Anton was going to be closer to $100 per day. We stayed put for week three and had a blast.
2 coffees, 2 pastries, 2 bottles of water - 7e. This was on-mountain. That would buy you maybe 1 coffee in Switzerland and 2 in France.

C2962FAD-8522-40A6-9FF7-D983F3B90A5D.jpeg

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
Yeah. Our typical lunch, for two of us, is a simple plate of pasta each, our share of a litre carafe of red wine and a coffee each. That's table service, often with the white tablecloth treatment, and often ski-in / ski-out. For the two of us it's usually something around 32 euro, which is $50. I don't expect I'll ever ski Switzerland.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
A Verbier lift ticket isn’t terribly priced for what you get, but arrive with food in the backpack! You can feel the cash being sucked out of your pores in Switzerland. Shame because the skiing is incredible.
Like a perpetual motion machine. The pull is finely balanced with the repulsion.

Reactions: CarveMan

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
A Verbier lift ticket isn’t terribly priced for what you get, but arrive with food in the backpack! You can feel the cash being sucked out of your pores in Switzerland. Shame because the skiing is incredible.

My first European skiing was Switzerland.

After about one day remember thinking, christ, going to have to adjust my expectation of the reach of a dollar here.

Luckily moved on to their 'poor' neighbours quite soon.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Just as a general point, we've been skiing in Italy a few times. A few years back we planned a two week trip to the Dolomites, and were going to head around the corner to St Anton for a third week. Then we discovered some friends were coming to our village in the Dolomites and we checked out what was involved if we stayed put to ski week three. For the Dolomiti Superski pass weeks one and two involve a ski lift ticket price of around AUD$50 per day. For week three, on the other hand, passes were the equivalent of AUD$18 per day. Eighteen bucks! For 450 lifts, 1,200km of piste and all the fun stuff that happens around that, and without the hassle of packing and moving? St Anton was going to be closer to $100 per day. We stayed put for week three and had a blast.
Where, pray tell, is "our village in the Dolomites", LR? Can you share?
We were in Nth Italy late last year but didn't ski (doh! hits head on desk). But a cycling crazy friend of ours has bought a house in the hills out of Padua and invited us to stay next time. Just wondering where to go (to ski) from there. Anyone?

Last edited:

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Except when you buy beer. An Erdinger only cost me 5 francs in Zermatt... but I digress from the topic of Italy

Reactions: Zeroz and CarveMan

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...2m2!1d11.770301499999999!2d46.4767277!2m0!3e0
Try Val di Fassa on the southwestern corner of the Sella Ronda circuit. About 3 hours drive from Padua. A good option as it has easy access to the whole area but is a little more affordable than Selva, Arabba and Corvara which are the other main areas on the circuit.
It’s true that the food is sublime but cheap, the scenery is mind blowing and there is a huge variety of skiing available.
If skiing powder is your thing there are other areas to consider as the Dollies don’t get hammered with snow generally. It is mainly set up for piste skiing.

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
Where, pray tell, is "our village in the Dolomites", LR? Can you share?
We were in Nth Italy late last year but didn't ski (doh! hits head on desk). But a cycling crazy friend of ours has bought a house in the hills out of Padua and invited us to stay next time. Just wondering where to go from there. Anyone?

That was Campitello.

If you go sort of 160km directly north from Padua (as the crow flies) you're in the middle of the western Dolomites region, although you have to zig zag your way up there through the valleys of course. There are other areas that may be a tad closer; San Martino di Castrozza is on the south edge of the Dolomites and the next valley up has San Pellegrino which is a terrific area. Once you're on your way up the Val di Fassa you can deviate up to the left for Obereggen and (further up the valley) Carezza, which is fun. Further east (couple of valleys over) you have Alleghe / Civetta, which is big and a bit of a gem.

For a change of locale, west of Trento you could explore Madonna di Campiglio and the Brenta Dolomites. Different area, but just as accessible from Padua (major roads to Trento at least) and another large linked area that looks fantastic. I want to explore over there one season.

For what it's worth the Dolomiti Superski pass covers all of the above other than the Brenta Dolomites. It's a vast area.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass