1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Nice cheap resort in Italy

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Sandro, Oct 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

2 coffees, 2 pastries, 2 bottles of water - 7e. This was on-mountain. That would buy you maybe 1 coffee in Switzerland and 2 in France.

Telemark Phat, Zeroz and cold wombat like this.
  2. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Yeah. Our typical lunch, for two of us, is a simple plate of pasta each, our share of a litre carafe of red wine and a coffee each. That's table service, often with the white tablecloth treatment, and often ski-in / ski-out. For the two of us it's usually something around 32 euro, which is $50. I don't expect I'll ever ski Switzerland.

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

A Verbier lift ticket isn’t terribly priced for what you get, but arrive with food in the backpack! You can feel the cash being sucked out of your pores in Switzerland. Shame because the skiing is incredible.

4. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator

Like a perpetual motion machine. The pull is finely balanced with the repulsion.

CarveMan likes this.
  5. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

My first European skiing was Switzerland.

After about one day remember thinking, christ, going to have to adjust my expectation of the reach of a dollar here.

Luckily moved on to their 'poor' neighbours quite soon.

Telemark Phat and CarveMan like this.
  6. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Where, pray tell, is "our village in the Dolomites", LR? Can you share?
    We were in Nth Italy late last year but didn't ski (doh! hits head on desk). But a cycling crazy friend of ours has bought a house in the hills out of Padua and invited us to stay next time. Just wondering where to go (to ski) from there. Anyone?

#56 chriscross, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  7. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Except when you buy beer. An Erdinger only cost me 5 francs in Zermatt... but I digress from the topic of Italy

Zeroz and CarveMan like this.
  8. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...2m2!1d11.770301499999999!2d46.4767277!2m0!3e0
    Try Val di Fassa on the southwestern corner of the Sella Ronda circuit. About 3 hours drive from Padua. A good option as it has easy access to the whole area but is a little more affordable than Selva, Arabba and Corvara which are the other main areas on the circuit.
    It’s true that the food is sublime but cheap, the scenery is mind blowing and there is a huge variety of skiing available.
    If skiing powder is your thing there are other areas to consider as the Dollies don’t get hammered with snow generally. It is mainly set up for piste skiing.

9. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

That was Campitello.

If you go sort of 160km directly north from Padua (as the crow flies) you're in the middle of the western Dolomites region, although you have to zig zag your way up there through the valleys of course. There are other areas that may be a tad closer; San Martino di Castrozza is on the south edge of the Dolomites and the next valley up has San Pellegrino which is a terrific area. Once you're on your way up the Val di Fassa you can deviate up to the left for Obereggen and (further up the valley) Carezza, which is fun. Further east (couple of valleys over) you have Alleghe / Civetta, which is big and a bit of a gem.

For a change of locale, west of Trento you could explore Madonna di Campiglio and the Brenta Dolomites. Different area, but just as accessible from Padua (major roads to Trento at least) and another large linked area that looks fantastic. I want to explore over there one season.

For what it's worth the Dolomiti Superski pass covers all of the above other than the Brenta Dolomites. It's a vast area.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas

#59 linked_recoveries, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    chriscross, skifree and cold wombat like this.