1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Night drive from Canberra to Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by thebigcode, Jun 4, 2013.

1. thebigcode

thebigcode First Runs

Hey all

I have just moved to Canberra and we're heading to Thredbo for our first opening weekend. Pumped!

We are considering driving down late on Friday night. We only have a small car (i30) and while I am not too worried about the weather (seems like there wont be much snow around unfortunately) but I am more worried about roos and wombats.

Any tips? Is it worth going Friday night and missing the traffic that will sure to flow from Canberra on the Saturday morning?

Cheers!

2. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Lots of roos from dusk onwards. Wombats a bit later, 7-9pm.

The traffic usually gets busy from Friday arvo onwards.

You just need to suffer through it. Relax and enjoy the journey, night or day.

It's a nice drive.

3. msski

msski First Runs

Hi there - I have done the past 3 opening weekends and know it will be busy regardless of when you go. Just take it easy if you go Friday night. Mrski took my 4wd Friday night before last and hit a kangaroo just past Berridale at about 8.30pm. Had it in to the assessors this morning. Ouch :(

4. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Watch out for Deer as well between Berridale and Thredbo.

5. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I hate night driving, and avoid if possible. Its a bit more of a lottery at night, although once I am on the Alpine Hwy I feel better, but I only do 60-80 on it depending on conditions. Dont forget deer too.

Just remember if one pops up in front of you, stay calm. Dont try too hard to avoid it, or you might roll your car like a friend of mine. Totalled the car, and the skis on the roof, luckily no injuries. Brake hard and straight and hope for the best. I have hit a few, and it just buggers your car a bit, better than the above, and what could have happened.

Snow Blowey reckons speed up, but he is in a hilux. Kangas dont scare hilux's.

6. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The one i hit back in January scared it good. Bent the bullbar back onto the bonnet and trashed one of my driving lights. That was a biggy at 120km/hr. But at the same time hit two little ones going slow. They went into the side doors and dented the bloody things. Has been straight for about 6 weeks. Have only hit one little wallaby since.

Another one for Deer. Saw one guy with huge antlers hanging out near Wilsons Valley 3 weeks ago. Didn't even flinch when i drove past him.

#6 Snow Blowey, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  7. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

I agree with all that. I stick too 100 cooma to jindy and we have had a roo altercation , but once past jindy it's a max 80 for me. I have seen everything from brumbies to wombats on the road to thredbo, only reason I've avoided them is a lower speed.

8. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Have you passenger look and point at the critter.

Honking your horn while breaking will scare critters away rather than mesmerising them with your headlights. It also forces roos to make a choice, rather than waiting until the last second to jump into you.

When you see one roo, there will be more, slow down for a while.

Pay attention while on the Monaro highway. More roos are hit on that road than anywhere else in Australia.

9. Thredbo_Fiver

Thredbo_Fiver Hard Yards

I strongly suggest leaving just before sunrise from Canberra. As somebody who does the drive a lot ( in reverse ) if something is going to hit you, it will. The Wife hit a Wombat last night and I had a Roo jump into the back quarter of the car a few weeks back. Not sure there is much you can do in that situation.

If you do need to come down Friday you would be better off being part of the traffic jam rather than driving when it is quiet. The section between Berridale and the Equestrian Centre I find is the worst from Jindy to Canberra. The Alpine way is alway a crapshoot and getting there is one piece at night is more luck than any particular skill.
    Make sure your insurance is paid up before you leave :)

10. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Unless you have a specific reason to be there Friday night, go early in the morning.
    Regularly drive from Sydney during the season and time it to go through Canberra at sunrise and gives plenty of time for a relaxed drive to Jindy with plenty of visibility - barely see any wildlife on the road except other peeps misadventures from the previous night and have never hit anything.

11. pansnow

pansnow First Runs

I would not be to worried about he wildlife its the crazy drivers on the road that worry me more. When I lived in Canberra and we were going up for the weekend we would always finish work earlier to be beat the mad Friday night rush. On the way home on Sunday night we would have dinner in Perisher or Jindabyne then leave later after the mad crazy drivers had all gone. I reckon the wildlife have got more brains then some of the driver on that road.

12. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

Drive down on the Saturday morning. You will have a much safer trip.

Last year I did the drive from Canberra to Perisher 3 times leaving between 6am & 7am.
    In all 3 drives drives we only saw 1 live animal beside the road.

You still need to be aware the wildlife is around, but the chances of hitting something are greatly reduced. Especially as you are driving in day light rather than the dark and can see so much more.
    And of course as the day goes on there is less and less wildlife around.

Over the years I done dozens of drives to and from the mountains and have only had 1 close call with a roo - on the Kosi road from Perisher after night skiing.
    Wherever possible I avoid night time driving.

13. easty

easty Hard Yards

Two weekends ago two of my friends hit kangaroos within 12 hours of each other driving from Canberra to the mountains. One on Friday night and the other the next morning. The driver on the Saturday morning left Canberra at about 5:30am so I think it was still dark when he hit the roo. So as far as wildlife goes it does not seem to matter whether you drive Friday night or Saturday morning.

I used to drive Canberra to the snow most weekends in the winter and always preferred to travel in the mornings. I am a morning person so it suited me.

14. thebigcode

thebigcode First Runs

Thanks for the tips everyone. Will head down on Saturday morning. Looking forward to it!