1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Night skiing at CP

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Peanut, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

tl;dr version: Is it worth going to CP for night skiing?

Long version: I'm heading to Queenstown in July with the family. Breakdown of our sport/ability is as follows:

Hubby (46): Has been skiing for most of his life with about a 12 year break before getting back into it last year. Was previously comfortably skiing advanced runs, but has knee issues now. He accidentally went off-piste from the Sugar Bowl chair last year, and while he handled it, his knees were screaming about it for the rest of the day. He found that he was handling blue runs OK.

Me (34): Did the odd day trip at the snow as a kid through to my early 20s. Realised the value of lessons in my early 20s, then didn't set foot on the snow again until last year. Tried snowboarding last year, but gave up in disgust after about 3 hours. Swapped for skis and got an all day lesson the following day. I'm at the point where I haven't quite nailed parallel turns. I seem to start parallel and come out of the turn in a snowplough. I didn't attempt any blue runs last year, although the plan is to spend a couple of days doing lessons and getting to the blue runs by the end of our holiday.

Mstr 9: First time at the snow last year. Skier. Did one day in Kea Club, then hubby took over the teaching for the rest of the trip. He started off riding the Alta Green and Casterway runs with a snowplough the whole way down, but we got him skiing parallel on the straight, and just snowploughing for the turns by the end of the trip. The plan is to put him in Kea Club for a few days during our trip this year.

Mstr 7: First time at the snow last year. Snowboarder, regular stance. Insisted on snowboarding even though the minimum age for Kea Club was 8 (has dropped to 7 this year). He has autism and we didn't want to deal with the meltdowns that would ensue if we forced him to ski. We also didn't think it was fair to put that on an instructor, so we booked private adaptive snowboarding lessons for him. He took to it well and is apparently a natural at snowboarding. He can do J turns and falling leaf turns, but insists on having someone hold his back hand so he doesn't fall over. We haven't decided yet whether to put him in Kea Club with an adaptive volunteer or to go down the route of private adaptive lessons.

So far, the plan for our holiday is to spend 2 days at Remarks where the kids and I have lessons, and hubby alternates between skiing and drinking hot chocolate. We were then planning a day off the snow (which falls on a Saturday). However, I like the idea of having a go at night skiing at CP. Obviously, this depends on whether Mstr 7 is able to at least board solo on the beginner slope. Is it worth going to experience it? We'd probably do one more day at Remarks afterwards so the kids can have one more lesson, then decide whether we wanted to spend our final day at Remarks or CP.

2. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

For your family, that would be $204 for skiing from 4-9pm. Nightskiing is a good experience to have, but it can be cold after the sun sets. That depends on weather conditions. I'd wait until the day, before booking it.

I'm interested to here where you are based? Are you from NZ or Aus?

Peanut likes this.
  3. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Yeah, I was thinking it would be best to wait until we’re over there and make the call on the day depending on the weather and how we’re all feeling.

I’m based in Aus. NSW specifically. I’m a teacher, so limited in when I can take holidays. Read that as “I can only take holidays during school holidays, which is when everything is most expensive”. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places for accommodation in Aus, but it seems to be cheaper to pay airfares and accommodation for NZ than it does to go to Perisher/Thredbo.

4. Jellybeans

Yep, that's the best idea IMO.

I've always preferred to support the Australian ski industry. There's always cheap ways to do the NSW resorts like caravans, lodges, camping, etc. But that isn't everyone's cup of tea. Neither are the massive queues at both Thredbo and PB. If NZ is the better option for you, that's fine. It certainly isn't for me.

5. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I don’t mind staying in cheaper accommodation. To be honest, the main reason we went to NZ last year is because my mother-in-law wanted us to take the kids skiing and financed the accommodation. She was originally going to book in Australia for us, but she quickly worked out that flights to Queenstown + accommodation there was cheaper. Given that our youngest has autism and is already familiar with Queenstown/Remarks, we’re going back there at least one more time.

My mum lives in Queanbeyan, so the kids and I did a day trip to Selwyn last September. It was mainly so I could test out my new skis and boots that I bought after last year’s NZ trip, and I was trying to do it on the cheap. I booked the younger one into a snowboarding lesson, just to see if we could improve his confidence. His technique was certainly better at the end of it, and he loved getting to use the chair lift, so that’s motivation for him to work on his balance and boarding independently at bigger resorts. However, I was bored after about 30 mins with the runs that were still open at Selwyn. This year, if the snow is still good in the September holidays, I’ll shell out the extra coin and head up to Perisher. Hubby refused to join us at Selwyn, but he could possibly be convinced to come to Perisher. :)

6. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

When the snow is good, night skiing is awesome. They are expanding the terrain open for night skiing further this year.

Peanut likes this.
  7. ScottGN

ScottGN One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

If the snow's good, the weather's good and you're all good for it have a go at it. The atmosphere up there at nighttime is great.

Peanut likes this.
  8. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Thanks, we've decided to wait and see what conditions are like on the day, whether we're up to it, and whether Mstr 7 has mastered riding on his board without having to have someone holding his back hand.

I did see that they're running night skiing for more evenings this year, too.

9. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Yeah, I love the idea of trying something a bit different. I think the kids would get a real buzz out of it too. Mstr 9 was talking everyone's ear off on the chair lifts when we went last year about how it was his first trip to the snow and how much he loves skiing. I'm sure he'll tell anyone who will listen how much he loves night skiing.

10. Jellybeans

Australian skiing can be expensive, especially for "one week a year" skiers. So it is really about what works for you. Perisher may have a similar offering to Selwyn at that time of year, or heaps of terrain still open, it really is a wait and see thing.

11. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I’m also restricted to going during the school holidays, as I’m a teacher. I know that the snow in Australia isn’t always the best in early July. August seems to be a better time to go here, but for some reason, my principal isn’t keen on me taking time off work to go ski. :)

12. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Organize a ski trip. As the experienced one, you must go. Some of my best work days, being paid to ski ( ok, long days, lots of responsibility, but...)

13. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I’ve been trying. However, between our school being small, in a low SES area and running senior vertical curriculum for years 11 and 12, plus me only being 2nd year out of uni, no one takes me seriously when I say it needs to happen.

14. soza

soza One of Us

I think the Aussie school hols start a week before the NZ ones......Im sure I remember lots of Aussie families enjoying a relatively quiet Mt Hutt last July.

#14 soza, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  15. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Yeah, there were lots of Aussie accents up at Remarks and around QT last July as well.