1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Nihongo Questions

Discussion in 'Japan' started by LMB, Sep 16, 2019.

1. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Hi, experts!
    I was wondering if anyone who is Nihongo Josu desu would be able to help me out.

Pay pass
    Pay wave
    Tap and go

I can’t find anything on a term for this. I have asked a few native speakers and got the old giggle, shrug and wakarimasen.

Context - mainly Niseko region but also spending time in Sapporo, Tokyo and Kyoto next month and I love using my Garmin pay on the watch - so simple! No need to take my backpack off and dig around for my wallet. It’d be great if I had a simple question I could ask that would quickly make it clear that I’m asking if they have this available.

Others, feel free to hijack thread for your own help with language.

2. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

3. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I can see how you got the odd giggle if you asked someone how to say tap & go in japanese LOL

LMB and skifree like this.
  4. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Cashless has already become a new Japanese word, so most people will understand.

Cashless Kessai dekiru?. Dekiru = Can / Be able to. Kessai = Payment in this case.

Deki-masuka sounds polite, so "Cashless Kessai Deki-masuka?" sounds more polite.

More simply, Cashless?. Then, they'll understand you want to pay by use of something like Suica, smartphone, credit card, etc.

If you are using a Suica, credit card or smartphone, you don't need to say anything in many cases, I mean, they'll understand you if you show them your Suica / credit card / smartphone, but paying by use of a smartwatch is not common in Japan, so they might not understand you, so you need to say "Cashless Kessai dekiru?" while pointing at your smartwatch.

Any likes this.
  5. Any

Any One of Us

These are product brand names by Australian banks to describe their contactless payment technologies. Even if you found the Japanese equivalent for these three I doubt the words will mean anything to anyone.
    Additionally, at some point years ago I heard that Australia had invented its own standard of contactless payments, deviating from the established international standard. Suggesting that our RFID cards won't work internationally. However I believe I also heard that we were leading the field and many countries were following suit.

Perhaps you can translate wireless / contactless payments, and show people the little wifi symbol on your credit card, and see what they say.
    edit, @Ramenman got you covered.

I'm not holding my breath for contactless payments in a country where banks don't have online facilities, requires 3 phone calls to manage a single international transaction, still use printed passbooks, where it takes 6 months to open an account, and bank ATMs only work during business hours.
    If you have a spare 20-30mins the next time you're Narita or Haneda, look for a bank run international cash exchange instead of a machine. You can witness a hilarious exchange of 5-6 people passing notes, filling out forms and intricate filing systems to retrieve a petty amount of cash.

It would be great tho. I have used cash exactly twice in Australia in the last 3-4 years. Not having to deal with notes and shrapnel and having a record of purchases in my internet bacnking is great.

Ramenman and LMB like this.
  6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

So far Lawson’s, green farm and the cafe at Ki also take contactless- I’ll keep trying at each place and add to the list over time.

I actually tried pay pass and payWave - didn’t ask tap and go.

Thank you
    Exactly what I was looking for.

I’m used to carrying bulk cash but if I can leave the credit card at home it’ll be better - don’t want to break it on the hill if I can avoid it. Will have a suica fully loaded and ready to go also and breaking that will be less of a stress.

Ramenman and Any like this.