1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Niseko 2010

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Neslot, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

I think it's time we started up a Niseko specific thread!

Last year was Hakuba this year I'm thinking of hitting Niseko. After some more Japanese powpow!

I am thinking of staying there for about 21 days. So I am trying to cut down on costs when i can.

It is 82,800 yen cheaper to get a Hirafu area pass which is quite a big difference. I'm thinking of having 12 days hirafu area and 6 days all mountain ski pass. Is this a good idea? Will Hirafu area be enough for 12 days?

Here is a map:
    http://www.niseko.ne.jp/en/map.html

Bring on Niseko!

#1 Neslot, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Cham

Cham One of Us

So on the current exchange rate you are talking around $1000 AU. If i had the extra cash I would go the full pass. When the snow is on which is most days, you wont to be able to go everywhere.

3. ratherb@thesnow

ratherb@thesnow Hard Yards

I don't know about 12 days, Does the Hirafu area includes the Hanazono section (I think it does). These two areas would be the roughly the same size of the other two so I think you should have enough terrain to keep you amused for five or six days.

Remember that if you do some of the back bowls off the peak at Hirafu (skiers right) then you are going to come out at Annapuri which is not a big deal if that's going to be your last run of the day as you can purchase a bus ticket to get back to the village.

I would leave a few days free as you don't save that much when you pre pay for lift tickets and take the opportunity to check out Rusutsu and Moiwa. I don't know about Rusutsu but if I remember correctly the ticket prices at Moiwa where a little cheaper that Hirafu last year.

Which ever way you go Tr it sounds like a good plan

4. Simonw

Simonw First Runs

IMO, it really does depend on when you are going. In my experience, Hirafu & Hanazono tended to be more crowded than Niseko Village & Annapuri. Having said that, it pales in comparison to Australian resorts in relation to crowds, so that need not be your only consideration.

If it was me, I would go for the Niseko United Pass as I would want the flexibility when over there... as I am not there for the entire season I want all I can get. That being said, the potential grand saved is a bit.

I would still go for the all mountain pass, if it were me. Most days we alternate from the prior day....

Can't wait for it.... Jan 30 departure.

5. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Also consider that Mizuno no Sawa looks set to open this season in Niseko Village. You'll definitely want to ski that bowl more than once! The Grand Hirafu area though is big with plenty of terrain to explore so you could look at buying something like a points ticket to use when in Niseko Village or Annupuri. Rusutsu and Moiwa are definitely worth a day trip each.

6. wangster

wangster A Local

The opportunity has come up for me to hit Niseko on the uber cheap this winter (only cost will be airfares and food/drink). How much does the average meal set you back, on mountain and in town?

(sorry for the dumb question, just trying to see if I can fit the trip in the budget along with the wedding!)

7. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

1000 yen for lunch and 1500 yen for dinner. OR thereabouts. As long as you don't want to drink and don't mind eating noodles or similar.

8. wangster

wangster A Local

Hmm... pretty good. Cheers smitty [​IMG]

#8 wangster, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

Actually I should note that I haven’t been to Niseko since 06, however the prices above were the same as in Furano this year. So unless the western invasion in Niseko has pushed prices up you should eat descent Japanese food for the costs above.

Anyway the sort of food I got for that price was curries and ramen etc.

10. Donza

Donza Pool Room

1000 and 1500...me and the mrs used to spend 6000 a day on grub.
    that was eating pretty damn well..and a beer vender gondola special.
    Yeah thats about right...just develop a whisky habit (suntory special ) and drink in your lodge and you'll be apples..spirits at 7/11's are the cheapest booze..along with chu hair and so-chu from the supermarkets...

so hang with the wang Hirafu style...?...cool

#10 Donza, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  11. wangster

wangster A Local

Well, maybe. Let's see if I can knock some off the total cost of the wedding [​IMG]

#11 wangster, Nov 11, 2009
  12. Donza

Donza Pool Room

hahahah..easy to do...I have some plates you can borrow.

#12 Donza, Nov 11, 2009
  13. wangster

wangster A Local

Thanks! Problem solved [​IMG]

#13 wangster, Nov 11, 2009
  14. d15812

d15812 Guest

I didn't realise that there was such a difference in lift ticket prices, I guess I'm too used to the Thredbo/Perisher same price (or there abouts) thing.

A season pass in Furano is only 49,500 although some might say that's because you're only allowed to ski a third of the mountain (just getting in before someone else does [​IMG] )

#14 d15812, Nov 11, 2009
  15. vertigo

vertigo First Runs

So, who's actually going, for how long, and when?

I'll be in Niseko for the first 2 weeks of February.

16. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

Pop into the Japanese thread and there is a pretty comprehensive list.

17. Simonw

Simonw First Runs

GN I have asked previously, and you may not be able to shed any light on this rumour - though going through the Mizuno no Sawa gate may require avi gear (beacon & probe at least).

Can you confirm whether this talk has any substance?

18. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    I'm only there for a week ( albeit a freebie so I'm not complaining at all ) so a mate of mine has suggested maybe hooking up on the first day with Black Diamond for a local's view on the inbound gates, BC, etc.

Anyone got a view on these guys? The Niseko Stoke video that was put up a few weeks back was from these guys and looked pretty awesome. Really looking forward to some night pow pow.

I'm gunna ski my ar$e off for 7 days and nights [​IMG]

#18 luvthabumps, Nov 11, 2009
  19. Culain

Culain First Runs

First post, woot.

I would recommend the all mountain pass, if you can afford it, if simply for the flexibility that you get to avoid the (relatively minor) crowds each day and go where the conditions are best. I <3 the annupuri inbound gates also [​IMG]

I'll be there from 31/12 until 14/1, can't go any later because of work, so I'm crossing my fingers for a massive set of december dumps [​IMG]

luvthabumps, thats an awesome idea re: black diamond for the local perspective, might just steal it [​IMG]

#19 Culain, Nov 11, 2009
  20. Simonw

Simonw First Runs

Culain: We were there during a corresponding time frame last year, and had pretty consistent snow. New Year's is a lot of fun in Niseko, very chilled out. We stayed in a Japanese lodge, and were trying to be pretty respectful of those around us. We started doing our own thing, and the people staying in the lodge joined in and we had a ball.

Doing Feb this year as I understand that there are less people about the place.

21. Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

Niseko List

Culain - 31 Dec to 14 Jan
    SA - 28 Jan to 3 Feb
    Vertigo - 1-14 Feb(?)

I'll be doing a couple of the BD tours I expect. Happy to hook up for a ski with whoever's around.

22. FuranoFreshPow

FuranoFreshPow First Runs

Yes and No, they are actually independently owned but are linked on one ticket. You can ski Hanazono with a Hirafu ticket (the all mountain "United" ticket is not required). I believe this is because they were the first two parts of Niseko resort to officially link up (although I could be wrong on that...)

The slopes of Hirafu are owned by the Tokyu Resort (holders of the Alpen and Kogen hotels) and Hanazono is held by Harmony Resorts (which also holds businesses such as the NISS ski school.)

#22 FuranoFreshPow, Nov 12, 2009
  23. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

Thanks for all the posts guys. Still not sure what I'll do - I'll post here when I decide.

Jetstar Sydney to Tokyo is ~$900. I'm looking at buying tickets from Haneda to Sopparo (chitose). I called up JAL and they said it would be around 26000yen + tax along with a $60 booking fee, but she said I could avoid this by going through a certain travel agent, but didn't say which one. A little confusing.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Cheers!

24. Culain

Culain First Runs

Ah awesome, fingers crossed then. We stayed at a pension last year (pension fuu), and it was a great authentic experience. I was blown away by just how helpful and respectful everyone was!

-Tr--, apparently you can get super cheap flights as an international guest, as long as you fly outside of their peak time (which is 22-28/12 through to 3/1, plus some dates in march i think). These come to around 13000 yen plus tax, each way, and seem to be about as cheap as it gets. You SHOULD be able to book these without going through a travel agent, and I think they're called "Welcome to Japan" or something similar.

Would be keen to meet up and have a board with anyone that's there at the same time as me. There's some stuff at Annupuri that i need to get up the balls to try, so having someone there egging me on would be awesome [​IMG]

#24 Culain, Nov 12, 2009
  25. Snow Addict

#25 Snow Addict, Nov 12, 2009
  26. FreeSkier

FreeSkier First Runs

Skymark Airlines tend to be quite cheap. Cheapest i have seen is around $89USD. Only problem is that u have to wait until 2 months before your departure date to book. Also anyone know of cheap bus/coach transfers from Chitose to Niseko?

27. biri_island

biri_island Hard Yards

try the super sakitoku fare early flight haneda / chitose jal 503 for 10,600 yen plus tax , ana tabiwari fare is probably similar ? i booked the" welcome to japan fare" for self and family and super sakitoku is cheaper ? also i had to pay the australian jal booking fee of 60 dollars .

anyone out there booked the super sakitoku fare ?

28. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

Yeah this sounds good, I called up JAL and they said there would be a $60 booking fee if you booked with them, but said something about booking through a travel agent to avoid the booking fee - I don't know it didn't really make a lot of sense!

These guys seem pretty good!
    http://www.goodsports.co.jp/eng/whiteliner/bus-cts.html

That is crazy cheap, look into this further, cheers!

I have some Oakley Wisdoms and last year in Hakuba on the white out days they seemed to get a bit foggy and harder to see the snow line as I would have liked. I'm considering a clear lens, has anybody done this? Is it a good option?

#28 Neslot, Nov 12, 2009
  29. blutek

blutek One of Us

what colour are your lens, I swap from the Oakley Black chrome to Rose chrome without problem.
    Whiteliner goes without that stop midway like Chuo & Donan. Quickest.

30. d15812

d15812 Guest

I'm booked on a sakitoku ticket (not super sorry) for Christmas, I just booked it directly through the Japanese JAL site No booking fees

#30 d15812, Nov 12, 2009
  31. Peejay

Peejay Hard Yards

Niseko List

Culain - 31 Dec to 14 Jan
    SA - 28 Jan to 3 Feb
    Vertigo - 1-14 Feb(?)
    Peejay + 2 - 24th Jan - 3rd Feb

Originally had planned Hakuba, but things changed when a couple of mates joined in.

See you there SA and Vertigo!

I booked Yokoso visit Japan fare Haneda - Sapporo / Sapporo - Narita for 20,000 yen. Cost $285 inc booking fee at time of exchange

32. Culain

Culain First Runs

I did White Liner for the Chitose-Niseko fare both ways last year and it was great. fast, cheap, easy.

-TR-- I wore Oakley wisdom with fire iridium lenses last year and it was fine for me, except for some of the night skiing times, and when we got whiteout conditions. This year i've got two pairs of wisdom's (they're selling them for $60 at DFO sydney at the moment :p) one with fire iridium and one with the pink iridiumey ones that are almost clear, but tbh thats probably overkill on my part [​IMG] i would DEFINATELY not only go with clear lenses, as some of the brighter days will cause you problems.

#32 Culain, Nov 12, 2009
  33. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

Thanks for that Culain. I also have Fire Iridium lenses and they are awesome on Sunny days, but I wasn't huge fan in shadey days.

$60 at DFO, no way! Any idea how much more they have left? Will have to go for a drive tomorrow. Those pink lenses look mint, will hope to get them.

34. Simonw

Simonw First Runs

TR & Curlain I use anon realm bronze mirror for sunny / clear conditions, and yellow for flat/snowy conditions. Having two lenses is great.

You won't see much if it is white out, though I am told the yellow lenses draw as much light out as possible so as to detect undulations easier. Not sure about the rose lenses, all my mates use those in their A-Frames.

I am a big fan of yellow for Jap anyway.. so there is my two cents.

35. Culain

Culain First Runs

They only had Persimmon left last time i was there, but $60 for the frames alone isn't that bad to be honest.

I'll be going there on Saturday to grab a few more work shirts so I can have a look then to see whether they have any yellow lenses as per Simon's tip!.

36. Snow Addict

Rose lenses work well - I've got Carrera ones - and they've been great the last few years in Japow [​IMG]

#36 Snow Addict, Nov 13, 2009
  37. Culain

Culain First Runs

Thanks SA!

#37 Culain, Nov 13, 2009
  38. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I reckon urine yellow is the go..as far as lenses go for Niseko.
    Then you can use them at night as well.

Also add a mirror rose.

take a couple of pairs...easy as.

39. ratherb@thesnow

ratherb@thesnow Hard Yards

They are yet to advertise this for the 2010 season but last year you could grab a Niseko Bus Pack with Chuo & Donan bus lines for Y4900 that gave you a return trip to Niseko from Sapporo and an 8 hr Lift ticket. The bus ticket was Y3850 on its own.

Keep an eye on the web page http://www.niseko.ne.jp/en/otoku.html

#39 ratherb@thesnow, Nov 13, 2009
  40. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Niseko 26/12 - 6/01 (staying at AAC Niseko).
    Yokoso airfares are not available inbound due to peak blackout period and will probably be riding the shinkanzen from Tokyo to Hachinhoe, followed by limited express train through the Seikan tunnel to Hakodate and a train across Hokkaido to Kutchan. すごい

#40 foxhound, Nov 13, 2009
  41. Culain

Culain First Runs

I'm keen to meet up and do some skiing with any forumers while I'm over there! [​IMG]

#41 Culain, Nov 13, 2009
  42. FreeSkier

FreeSkier First Runs

Bought my ticket to Chitose today. $110Aud. Skymark airlines. I'll be overthere from the 15-30th Jan.

43. Snow Addict

Niseko List

Foxhound - 26 Dec - 6 Jan
    Culain - 31 Dec - 14 Jan
    Freeskier - 15 Jan - 30 Jan
    SA - 28 Jan - 3 Feb
    Vertigo - 1 Feb - 14 Feb(?)

44. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    Niseko List

Culain - 31 Dec - 14 Jan
    SA - 28 Jan - 3 Feb
    LTB - Jan 20 - 27

45. Mrstr_Chief

Mrstr_Chief One of Us

Go Native: Niseko Resident
    JOSAF: Niseko for the season- 5th Dec - 25th March
    gjw411: 2nd Dec – 8th Feb
    Crystal: 28th Dec - 17th Jan
    Foxpuppet+3 and 2 Finns: 5th Jan - 25th Jan
    Mrstr_Chief: 12th Jan - 22nd Jan
    LTB + the bumpin' clan: Hirafu 20th – 27th Jan
    Snow Addict: 27th Jan – 4th Feb
    RatherB@thesnow: 30th Jan - 10th Feb
    snowishing: 1st - 11th Feb
    robbied: 12th – 28th Feb

This is the other Niseko list from this thread

#45 Mrstr_Chief, Nov 16, 2009
  46. foxpuppet

foxpuppet One of Us

Niseko List

Culain - 31 Dec - 14 Jan
    Foxpuppet - 1st Jan - 25 Jan
    SA - 28 Jan - 3 Feb
    LTB - Jan 20 - 27

47. Snow Addict

Combined Niseko list -

gjw411: 2 Dec – 8 Feb
    Foxhound: 26 Dec - 6 Jan
    Crystal: 28 Dec - 17 Jan
    Culain: 31 Dec - 14 Jan
    Foxpuppet: 1 Jan - 25 Jan
    Mrstr_Chief: 12 Jan - 22 Jan
    Freeskier: 15 Jan - 30 Jan
    LTB: 20 Jan - 27 Jam
    Peejay + 2: 24 Jan - 3 Feb
    RatherB@thesnow: 30 Jan - 10 Feb
    SA: 28 Jan - 3 Feb
    snowishing: 1 Feb - 11 Feb
    Vertigo: 1 Feb - 14 Feb(?)
    robbied: 12 Feb – 28 Feb

48. Neslot

Neslot One of Us

Hey Culain, did you end up checking out DFO?

I'll be in Niseko 25th Jan to 19th Feb. Is there anything to do non snow related in the area?

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>This is -tr-- btw. Changed my name.</span>

#48 Neslot, Nov 16, 2009
  49. Culain

Culain First Runs

Yep, the wisdom lenses all looked persimmon or the super dark one (VR28?), no High Intensity Yellow.

BUT, there were a few of what looked like A Frames (could have been stockholm, the women's ones) with the pink shiney lenses (rose iridium?). They were $120 each though.

Still not too bad.

Re: Events, you could check out the Sapporo Snow Festival: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapporo_Snow_Festival

#49 Culain, Nov 16, 2009
  50. Snow Addict

I'm heading back to Sapporo for the Snow and Ice Festival. Should be pretty good.