1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Niseko 2010

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Neslot, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Cham

Cham One of Us

Good times in Niseko today. Entire outlook looks good. Should pick up min of 15 cm most days plus the odd big one here or there all week. Good quality snow as well.

2. Cham

Cham One of Us

Did stop to take many pics this year. Here are some crappy shots that we bothered to stop and take on a killer day. It was extremely cold, -18 or so and wind chill on top of that bringing it to around -32 wind chill. Snow was DEEP and blower. Magic day. So deep in fact that anything blue and below could not be done. Came to a stop. Even some of the blacks you had to straight line. Taking the gloves off to take a pic on this day resulted in a VERY painfull result. Had untracked lines from start to close.

Very deep

[​IMG]

Can see the cut in the snow from my skiing budy....it was deep.

[​IMG]

#652 Cham, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Wow...looks like the "white room" with a bit of flora.
    I like
    2 thumbs up.
    Would that be Miharashi trees?

4. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Tomorrow sees the start of what will possibly be the busiest week we've ever had in Niseko. Just about every single accommodation provider I know of is as close to 100% booked as you can be. The company I work for alone will have well over 1000 guests in the village this coming week and from what I understand at least 2 of the major ski rental companies have no more gear available for rent and pretty much every restaurant in the village is fully booked out every night. Also I doubt if people haven't already booked whether they'll be able to get any lessons as I think they are also fully booked out. Possibly going to be a few disappointed people if they left booking everything to last minute. Anyway this Chinese New Year will be a little hectic to say the least!

5. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Glad I'm not there.

6. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

They're mostly all Asians who can't ski to save themselves so the off-piste should still be good and not that busy. Most of them don't like skiing if it's snowing heavily as well! [​IMG]

#656 Go Native, Feb 12, 2010
  7. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Wish I was there. [​IMG]

#657 rangerider, Feb 12, 2010
  8. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Yeah but how well can they fight and drink?...

#658 Donza, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  9. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Not like in the movies.

10. Lehmo

Lehmo Hard Yards

So a mate and I have ended up booking a trip over on the 10th of March for around 9 days. We have been looking up heaps of stuff terrain parks, back country etc. As this is our first time over there and we want to hit up some back country, is it best if we book ourselves in for a tour? Or can you easily handle the back country yourself just going out of the gates?

If we needed to book something can anyone recommend a someone good?

Getting very very excited that's for sure!!!

11. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Heading out the gates is not really what we'd call backcountry more lift accessed sidecountry. Generally I'd say you'll be fine heading out the gates without a guide. Usually plenty of other people heading out as well so just follow them. You will be entering terrain that can slide but generally if the resort opens the gates the risk isn't too bad.
    If you want to hit up some genuine backcountry then I'd definitely recommend doing a tour.

12. Lehmo

Lehmo Hard Yards

Thanks for that. I thought it wasn't really backcountry if it was that easily accessible. Would like to go on a proper tour then. Anyone know a good company?

13. seekingpow

seekingpow One of Us

I can concur with GN.

I am in Hirafu at the moment and it is busy as. A lot of folks from Honkers and wealthy mainlanders here for CNY; refreshing to see people here in numbers with equally bad manners to aussies.

Strategy for tucker is to eat early, night ride and then drink if you dont have reservations.

Hirafu was like front valley today but on piste at annpuri and hanozono were quiet and good light edgeable cover from days of good fresh falls; lot of pow on piste before 12. On piste Hirafu was knee deep blower early today and was mogulled by this afternoon. Lot of bad boarders snowflaking the hill about.

After heavy fall last night off piste through trees is holding up well. Still very very deep blower in places. Still very cold. Mid mountain hit -12 air temp mid afternoon today.

Here till Monday and we will be sticking to the trees as a fair majority of the folks in town will not venture beyond the red runs and they are rubbish at those at best, snowfalking and erratic weaving it is like skiing at home (but with exceptional snow).

14. sli1

sli1 One of Us

Today was the last skiing day of my holiday so I was pretty excited to see so much snow on top of the car and it still snowing this morning. Clearly a lot of people around so thought we would drive over to Rusustsu. Probably the only bad call of the trip. Upon getting to the Rusustsu the car park, it was clear they had no where near the mount of snow fall overnight as Niseko. Turned around and came back to hopefully get some leftovers. Had to work harder to find uncut snow because of the lateness but the leftovers were tasty. I had to cover my mouth with the neck warmer and continually shake my head to get the snow off the goggles. Today would be the lightest, driest snow I have skied.

15. Bindo

Bindo Hard Yards

We're (F 52 & M 53) back home today after our first trip to Niseko. Absolutely loved it, especially the last three days with fresh powder up to and over our knees in places. Had our ski legs by this stage so were mostly off piste, with very few other skiiers.

We had to cancel 4 weeks in Canada last February due to health issues for both of us, so this trip was a 'test the body' one, especially for the +1 who had major spinal surgery. Both came through well, and it has inspired us for futher trips.

After skiing both Europe and North America in various locations and almost always missing the fresh snow, Japan was awesome. We had a few days of very cold weather and the rest around -8, but with fresh snow every day - exactly what we want, couldn't care less if we don't see the sun all week. Get plenty of that at home! With a few nights in Tokyo at the beginning, we managed to eat our way through all the various types of Japanese food and already I have withdrawal [​IMG]

We stayed at the Vale (newly opened this season) at the bottom of the Family Chair, and it was excellent, with ski in/ski out, amazing onsen and overall very good facilities. Would highly recommend it.

Now the planning begins for a return trip, taking in a few other other resorts as well. Many thanks to all on this forum for their tips and recommendations when we were doing our planning - a great resource as usual!

#665 Bindo, Feb 14, 2010
  16. Cham

Cham One of Us

Well I actually stuffed up.....forgot this was a Niseko thread. It was rusutsu that day.

#666 Cham, Feb 15, 2010
  17. Cham

Cham One of Us

Yeah there can be a big difference between the two areas. I had the opposite situation. It was KILLER at Rusutsu dumping big time for 36hrs and arrived in Niseko which had carp all fresh. We were very surprised at the difference. It's a gamble to make that call. Almost need someone on the ground to make the call and find out before heading over. Crazy to for there is not a real great distance between the two.

One thing to be aware on occasions is there may seem like there may be not much new fresh on the West side of Rusutsu.....but get over to the East side valleys and the difference can be huge.

#667 Cham, Feb 15, 2010
  18. sli1

sli1 One of Us

Yeh. Know what you mean, a trip earlier in the week surprised me how much was at Rusutsu compared to what had been falling at Niseko but on this particular day there was big difference the other way. When I looked at the report later, (they get published too late) it said 10cm in Rusutsu and 30cm in Niseko.

I also parked in the East side car park and there was stuff all new snow there. I'm glad I went back to Niseko. The most obvious and not so obvious lines from the Annapuri gates had been destroyed but there was still fantastic lines out further. Wearing the GoPro on my chest was completely useless and I'm not sure wearing it on my helmet would have faired much better !

19. sli1

sli1 One of Us

#669 sli1, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  20. Cham

Cham One of Us

The rusutsu reports are rubish as well. They reported 20cm from memory on our deepest day. It was at least 60cm ++. Their base depth recordings are BS as well. Some of the lifts they need to start digging channels out in areas.

#670 Cham, Feb 15, 2010
  21. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

The Niseko promotion board have just released their tourist figures to date and they said “To the end of January, international visitors in season 09/10 are up some 25% on the same period last season. While that in itself is impressive, the reality is even better. Last season Chinese New Year fell within that period and undoubtedly increased those figures. The other headline fact is that Hong Kong and Singaporean guests combined now number more than double their Australian counterparts.â€

a quote from Niseko Property newslettter....

22. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Yeah, but what are the numbers ?????

#672 Nozawaman, Feb 16, 2010
  23. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

..too many people all round some would say.
    Seems to be the emerging Asian market the property developers have been carrying on about.
    Of note , it's now easier for mainland Chinese to get a visa for Japan, they can travel independently since July?..prior to this needed to be in a tour group it seems.

24. Cham

Cham One of Us

Certainly noticed much more Euros, Canadians, Americans this year. Interesting that they make the trek over from places where they have huge mountains in their own backyard.

25. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Being a complete newbie to Niseko. Can anyone give me a heads up on Snow Crystal Apartments Kutchan? I've been told they are opposite the Ace family chair. Is this a good spot to be in?

26. Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

Excellent location.

27. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Great location and in Hirafu not Kutchan.

28. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Cheers guys. The address is 170-304 AZA YAMADA, KUTCHAN-CHO that's why I thought it was Kutchan?

29. Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

RR - have a look at the niseko village map here - http://niseko-hirafu.com/maps. Snow Crystal is one street over from Hirafu-Zaka, the main strip.

#679 Snow Addict, Feb 16, 2010
  30. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Thanks SA, appreciate it. Trying to line up something mid March. Had no idea Qantas/JAL would be so fully booked. I thought it would be easing up around that time.

31. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Kutchan-Cho refers to the region managed by the Kutchan town office. It's like say a shire and includes Kutchan town, Hirafu and surrounding farming areas. Snow Crystal is opposite The Vale and the base of the family Lift is less than 100m away. Very good location.

32. rangerider

rangerider A Local

33. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Great location

34. rangerider

rangerider A Local

All booked and confirmed and I'm getting excited. [​IMG]

How's it looking over there at the moment?

#684 rangerider, Feb 18, 2010
  35. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Did I mention that I'm excited?

bump bump

36. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Looks like this weekend will see the end of winter and warm, rainy weather to come in for the rest of the season. Sorry rangerider looks like you missed it mate! [​IMG]

#686 Go Native, Feb 18, 2010
  37. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

you are a cruel cruel man GN [​IMG]

#687 Texy, Feb 18, 2010
  38. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Oh well looks like I'll have to hit the pub. Things could be worse.

39. Wannabe

Wannabe Hard Yards

Couple of pics wouldn't go astray. How good is the night skiing in Niseko!
    Gotta love getting value for a lift ticket. Most days 10hrs skiing.....I'm a glutten. My young bloke came out a couple of times too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#689 Wannabe, Feb 18, 2010
  40. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Looks great! maybe post a few more so this thread doesn't loose its mojo.

41. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Been quite a lot of snowfall today. Nighta should be great and looking good for tomorrow.

42. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

[​IMG]

3 years ago....

[​IMG]

traversing>>>>

#692 Toto Warmlet, Feb 19, 2010
  43. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Anyone know where I can find a decent snow report for Niseko? I just had a squiz at snow forcast and it's pretty bloody average and not up to date, I guess snow Japan is the go?

44. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Another question for you people in the know. A mate I'll be with will pobably either buy or hire some snowboard gear in Niseko. Any recommendations for stores to look at and what are the range and prices like if buying? We won't have time to go to Tokyo on this trip unfortunately.
    Cheers

45. vertigo

vertigo First Runs

I wouldn't bother buying there. Not all that cheap for most things as far as I saw. Only place we ended up buying some bits and pieces from was 343 (across the road from Seicomart), great blokes. Rentals are everywhere, so shop for prices.

check http://www.niseko.ne.jp for daily reports. was pretty much spot on while I was there a few weeks ago.

#695 vertigo, Feb 23, 2010
  46. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

There is a couple of big ski shops in Kutchan which have a great range and prices are very good. I would recommend having a look there.

47. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Thanks vertigo and TOFF. [​IMG]

#697 rangerider, Feb 23, 2010
  48. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

do you want links for a daily snow report or tools for forecasting future weather? For the former use snowjapan.com, for the latter can you make sense of synoptic charts?

#698 smitty484, Feb 23, 2010
  49. Wannabe

Wannabe Hard Yards

Hope this works. Rusutsu Jan 22,late arvo, mostly skied out, but still some shin deep to be had.

[​IMG]

#699 Wannabe, Feb 23, 2010
  50. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

What cam did you use?