1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Niseko 2011 (see Page 1 for Cams/Reports)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Neslot, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Back in the land of the stupid, thanks again Japan for another great trip. Ill get some photos and write up a trip report when I get a chance, perhaps tomorrow night. Last 2 days made it worthwhile.

2. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Welcome back verm, you'll fit right in here in the land of the stupid.

3. Vermillion

Yeah I know I support Richmond i've always fitted in well.

Quick question, for my camelback I am going to need some of those cleaning crystals or whatever the hell they are so that my camelback doesnt go mouldy and shit. Any advice on where to pick them up?

4. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Yeah mate, Paddy Pallin or any one of the outdoorsy shops in Lt Bourke St will have them.

5. Vermillion

OK I dont visit the city so ill try one of the outdoors joints out this way.

6. Vermillion

OK got a little bit of time so ill post up a quick report.

Arrive a day late after a nice fall of snow, but the temperature was well down which kept the snow in great condition for the next few days. Plenty of places to go to find untracked snow both inbounds and out of bounds/gates. Snow was getting a little used after 4 days though.

Got a little bit of snow overnight Thursday into Friday (10-20cms) which could best be described as a cross between aussie snow and average Japanese snow. It was knee twisting stuff and just enough to cover moguls and iced up patches but not enough that you could just bomb a run and not worry about hitting stuff underneath. There was some melt and re-freeze before this snowfall which didnt help things either.

Real snow arrived in the arvo Friday and snowed on and off until mid-morning Sunday. Both Sat and Sun mornings saw a foot or more of fresh snow up the hill, and was closer to proper powder, although not 100% champagne dry stuff. Sat morning saw lots of places boot deep with plenty of snow hitting you in the waist and chest. Sunday was a better day mostly knee to waist deep with faceshots everywhere. Both days you could bomb runs without worrying about hitting stuff underneath. Both days saw the popular areas tracked out before 10am. Im talking strawbs/blues/shinya/G5. Sunday I went wide towards higashione and found some great deep stuff in the gullies, best runs of the week in there. Word on the street was Annupuri lasted a little longer before being tracked but not much. I guess that's what happens on weekends and fresh snow.

As for eating only ate in Hirafu once, rest of the time went into Kutchan. Good move. Lots of food and much cheaper than Hirafu.

In all the last 2 days definitely made it worth it. Would I go back again? Probably. But will definitely do a longer trip next time and spend less time in Niseko and more in other places like Furano/Asahidake/Rusutsu. Did plan on a hike up Chinsenupuri but the snow arrived at Niseko and from the sound of things Chinsenupuri was pretty packed too on the weekend. Didnt get across to Moiwa either.

Pics will follow from the old man who took a million of them, once he's sorted through them.

7. tfitz

tfitz Hard Yards

cloudy , very light snow, will be icy,hard packed and tracked out mostly after yesterdays bluebird day (never seen it so clear). Sure doesn't take long for most of the mountain to be tracked out although the crowds seem to have thinned out. Thursday/ Friday looking good but we'll be goneski!

8. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Addicted

Re: Niseko 2011

Niseko was great today!! Dont have any other Japanese snow experiences to compare it to, but what we found all over the hill today was light dry and deep enough in places to keep us very happy til the end of the day. Tracked out way too quickly though. Once the top lifts opened it was on for one and all. Storm seems to have finished up for now. Hoping for the winds up top to ease off a bit. After being treated to great conditions and so many good quality freshies I think it's going to be hard to go back to anything else.

9. lunchcutter

lunchcutter One of Us

Good to hear Stuckin. Snow in Australia can be ok but snow everywhere else is better.

10. konaman

konaman First Runs

Here is a little clip of some riding in Miharashi Trees when we got the four 50cm days in a row in late Jan (or was it early feb?). Pretty pedestrian riding i am not great and the visibility didn't do much for the confidence, though the waist deep powder did. http://www.vimeo.com/20598581

#660 konaman, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  11. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

Very nice konaman! any powder riding is good IMHO [​IMG] Is that trees skiers left or right of the Miharashi course.

#661 Texy, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  12. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

gee Konaman, you did ok straightlining through some of those trees.
    Hopefully, that is a helmet cam!!

13. konaman

konaman First Runs

It was up to the left of the actual open part of the Miharashi course.

I found it was a bit of a haven for the 2 weeks that i was there, it doesn't suffer as much from the wind and people are too lazy to walk 2 minutes up the hill to ride it so it gets tracked out slowly and is still good at the end of the day.

The only downside is that you have to ride along that Holiday trail at the bottom, which isn't much fun as a snowboarder especially if its been dumping.

14. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

If you are prepared to do a little uphill and traversing here and there (and know where you are going) then Niseko has a lot of spots where people rarely go, where fresh tracks can found at any time of the day. But before you ask no I'm not giving away all the secrets!! [​IMG]

#664 Go Native, Mar 5, 2011
  15. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

Just tell me when you leave [​IMG] Won't tell anyone... promise.

#665 Texy, Mar 5, 2011
  16. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Thinking of writing a guidebook (after I leave of course! [​IMG] )

#666 Go Native, Mar 5, 2011
  17. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

I am a qualified editor [​IMG]

#667 Texy, Mar 5, 2011
  18. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

I see Texy, all those women were budding authorettes.
    The Holiday trail needs a rope tow or a magic carpet for boarders. I hate it.

19. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Actually I'm all for making it hard for boarders. Boarders scrape off new snow faster than a knife fight in a phone booth. We don't want to encourage you buggers by making it easier for you!! [​IMG]

#669 Go Native, Mar 5, 2011
  20. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

SPAM

[​IMG]

#670 skiflat, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  21. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Like you wouldn't buy it skidown! I'll send you an autographed copy [​IMG]

#671 Go Native, Mar 5, 2011
  22. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

a very strange analogy GN
    apt though

23. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

A mate of mine was over last week and he skied a day with another guy he met from Aus whose kids coincidentally go to the same school as his. Anyway my mate told me this was this guys 3rd trip to Niseko and somewhat amazingly he had never previously skied outside of Hirafu. My mate took him over to Annupuri bowl, the peak, strawberries, etc and the guy was totally blown away.
    I can't help but think that this is not totally uncommon. The normal cloudy and snowy conditions with low vis must be quite a barrier to people getting out and exploring all the mountain has to offer if they are not that familiar with it. It may also go someway to explaining why many claim there's not that great terrain in Niseko!
    I reckon if you are not that familiar with the mountain getting a guide for a day is a great investment to ensure you enjoy the rest of the trip to the fullest. What do you guys think? Is Niseko hard to get around at first?

24. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Nope - Very easy to get around Niseko, couldn't be much easier really.

Sounds like a moron

25. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty

This is a blunt response, but pretty much on the money IMO. As long as you look at the terrain map (which you would do at any resort) it is pretty easy to navigate.

#675 smitty484, Mar 7, 2011
  26. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The only reason I didn't get out of Hirafu on my first trip in 1990 was that there was no combined lift tickets - you still had the two lift systems in Hirafu itself and had to decide which one you were going to use each day. Hanazono didn't exist at all. But none of that was an issue because during the week there was hardly anyone there and saw only one other foreigner for the whole week.

Later years though - no real issue at all traversing across to the other areas - easier when it was on the one ticket.

27. Vermillion

Ill agree with that too. Mate you had never skied Hirafu and only did so because you had to meet me down there. I dont ski Hirafu unless im bored or being lazy or it's night.

#677 Vermillion, Mar 7, 2011
  28. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yep - My aim when first visiting any ski resort is to explore as much of it as possible! Once I have done that then find favourite spots to ski again.

#678 skiflat, Mar 7, 2011
  29. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

I must admit my first holiday here back in 03 I didn't explore anywhere near the whole mountain. It snowed almost the entire time I was here and although I got up the peak a few times I really wasn't confident on my own to head down into what was then areas unknown to me. It wasn't till the next season when I skied with a couple of locals that I really started to utilise most of the terrain available. And even after all the years since I still managed to get shown a slope this last weekend I'd never been on before! And I thought I knew the mountain like the back of my hand!!

I was going to put a caveat on the previous post that of course the esteemed members of this forum wouldn't have the same issues experienced by that guy but not all are as adventurous or confident as we! [​IMG]

#679 Go Native, Mar 7, 2011
  30. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

Very easy to get around. My first trip even in very (very!) bad vis we managed to get around ok first couple of days. Was a bit lost on the peak and bowl set up though, was kind of in a state of shock however with the powder and consistent freshies out of the lower gates.

This last time we got to know things a bit better again and better ways around. On mountain signage could be better though, that is for sure, who wants to pull out a map...

31. Vermillion

Got caught on the traverse over the higashione (peak gate not open used fujiwara) in a complete white out for a good 20mins this year, cloud just closed in and was stuck. It's a bit scary when you can hear people but can hardly see your glove in front of your face on the side of the peak, I was praying no idiot would collect me.

32. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

meh! Point it (them) see what happens [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#682 Texy, Mar 7, 2011
  33. beexy

beexy First Runs

we had our first trip there this year. didnt find it hard at all to get around the mountain. never had to pull a trail map out. come to think of it barely looked at it at all. just ride around and find the good stuff. didnt really care where i was

34. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

Niseko is like an eccentric aunt, or slightly odd nephew.
    It's in the middle of Hokkaido for the gods' sake.
    [​IMG]
    Who'd have imagined it?
    It's just really comfortable in the circumstances.

#684 Toto Warmlet, Mar 8, 2011
  35. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

I'm happy to report that it appears Tokyu have finally bitten the bullet and will be going ahead with a new gondola in Hirafu for next season (replacing the existing one). I believe they are planning a higher speed 8 seater gondola which would effectively more than double the current capacity. Good news!