1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Niseko 2012 (see Page 1 for Cams/Reports)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Neslot, Nov 22, 2011.

1. nickmaaaate

nickmaaaate First Runs

nah mate, but i sent you one

#301 nickmaaaate, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  2. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I hope thy are sold out by the time I get there!

#302 hotsaki, Feb 2, 2012
  3. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

Had a very big night out and equally big sleep in... went out around the corner past Chisenpuri and rode some short powder lines while some crazy Swedes and an Ecuadorian staying at my accom came along for the ride did back flips and such off a kicker there. Finished up at Goshiki Onsen and home for dinner... good snow falling on and off through out the afternoon with 30 forecast overnight. Might actually go over to Rusutsu tomorrow though...

4. surfie_guy1

surfie_guy1 One of Us

Which places??

#304 surfie_guy1, Feb 3, 2012
  5. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

Great day out with 40 stated as hitting the ground last 24hrs on the AVI report, hung at the resort and had good snow all day all over the mountain... Except the peak as gates 2 and 3 closed...

6. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

Some pics by my mate...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#306 Texy, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  7. Bluebear

Bluebear Hard Yards

I like it !!
    Be there on Sunday.

8. surfie_guy1

surfie_guy1 One of Us

Wow. Amazing day in Niseko. Puking all day, and as I type looking out the window, huge flakes still falling, so heavy, visibility is non existant! Never seen snow like this before!!!!!

9. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

I have... here! ;O)

We spent the day over at Rusutsu to try and beat the Niseko weekend crowd, just a little bit tracked out but still some nice lines to be sourced... snowed on and off through out the day over there but driving back was like entering night. E yuki?

Paying homage to the snow Gods (it obviously worked)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a little lost
    [​IMG]

#309 Texy, Feb 4, 2012
  10. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

#310 Go Native, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  11. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

[​IMG]

#311 Go Native, Feb 5, 2012
  12. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The guy in the hole wasn't having fun. Is this a common thing in Niseko? Gareth put a link to a different hole rescue in a different thread. The place looks like a sieve.

13. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

Absolute sieve, holes all over the place... don't come here.

Banged some stuff together quickly from today from Moiwa, sorry for the quality... lost a lot from too much snow, fogging issues etc. Snowed so hard it was boot deep on the main groomer at 2.30. I only saw 2.30 even though I tried to make it too last lifts, but me and my snowboard moved so much snow I was a fully spent unit by then.

http://vimeo.com/36889228

#313 Texy, Feb 5, 2012
  14. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

That's a great shot, saw a RX8 looking similar the other day [​IMG]

#314 Texy, Feb 5, 2012
  15. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Love the vid Tex. Just over 2 weeks and I'll be there.....the waiting is killing me!

16. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

Thanks Texy. Looks crowded.
    Just occurred to me that for right handed natural footers holding thecamera stick in the leading hand must be a bit awkward?
    Hope things don't get outta hand over there on Waitangi Day.

17. johnonetrillion

johnonetrillion Hard Yards

Looks great, GN!

Can you tell me what some of those runs were? I was there last week but don't recognise much of what you shot. Like where that tree jump was set up, and the long cruiser at the end through the trees.

We (10 year-old son and I) had a great time. This year it was all about the gates off A'puri: First Gate 7 half way down skier's left, then Gate 8 – brilliant – and the up to Gate 2. I'm a bit of a slow coach, so the top of Zawa was a bit wasted on me, but when it got to the trees it was on again! And this was about Monday and Tuesday, so there were plenty of fresh lines to be had ... before the sun got to it all.

Cheers

#317 johnonetrillion, Feb 6, 2012
  18. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

I bet it is! Small solace; you can taunt me with the goodness as I will be back sweating it up in Oz... last day tomorrow :O(
    Damn straight TeeDub, it really throws me off my game, I much prefer boarding with out the camera as continually trying to keep a shot instead of moving your weight where you need it takes about 20% of the fun out of it. Hence, I only get the camera out after a good fill of turns...

#318 Texy, Feb 6, 2012
  19. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

OH! BTW Back at Moiwa today, snow a little bit shallower under foot and you could feel the bottom but still pretty good. Got very warm though (+2C??) Lets hope some wet snow falls tonight to fill the back bowl for some last turns down the main face before we head home.

20. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

Light snow here now, won't ride real well on the crust from yesterday unless up high. Gonna try the peak first up and hope for some snow today for a nighter to finish it all off.

21. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

Peak was closed due to visibility, Gate 4 did have plenty of fresh lines, pretty heavy snow though. Best snow was over out Gate 1. Had some nice snow falling around lunch but it was pretty warm out. Sun came out briefly so you could source the odd fresh line which went unnoticed earlier. Finished the day up by Super course for a couple and nearly killed myself spearing through a tree. Fitting way to finish the day and trip, so I decided to head down to get the deposit back on my pass. No camera today... Just me and the mountain [​IMG]

Tex OUT!

#321 Texy, Feb 7, 2012
  22. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Thanks for the updates Tex.

23. surfie_guy1

surfie_guy1 One of Us

Wow so warm today, like skiing in Aus!

Just started snowing/sleeting again this evening so let's hope it cools down a bit and the flakes get bigger overnight!

24. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Cooler air definitely on the way. Just be happy you didn't get a whole lot of rain like they did further south. [​IMG]

#324 Go Native, Feb 7, 2012
  25. Olgreg

Enjoyed all your posts Texy. You obviously had a ball in some of my favorite places.

26. Mercyrx3

Mercyrx3 Hard Yards

surprised they didn't close it yesterday due to vis. we went up about, 10:30 and it was an interesting run down til the visibility cleared a little further down! If you didn't know you way around up there, It would have been pretty dangerous.The snow was pretty good once you could see where you were going!

#326 Mercyrx3, Feb 7, 2012
  27. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

No worries GN, can't wait to read your reports! Yeh Olreg we can not complain [​IMG] Hard to put a finger on the best spot... I love the main face of the back bowl. It is a shame they open up Gate 5 right from the get go now which destroys the bottom half of the mountain for those hiking the peak on Fujiwara no sawa. We only ran Jackson's once which was great but not a good traverse out for lazy snowboarders like me. Kiroro offered up lots of goodness. Rusutsu I was a little disappointed with... Meh still had many good runs just had to look harder, we looked a little too had and had a decent hike back in at the end of the day. But my day at Moiwa on the 5th was epic.... last year we hiked BC a bit over the back and that was awesome but lap after lap of bottomless was more vertical than I could ever hike in a day even with the slow lift. I had a session around Ace 4 one day early while everyone was splitting left for gate 2 or right for gate 3 while boot to knee deep went untracked 40m each side of the lift. It is about finding a good spot and destroying it [​IMG] Enjoy it all, stay safe, I wish you all bottomless turns, sunny days and 50cm each night [​IMG]

#327 Texy, Feb 7, 2012
  28. warhol

warhol Hard Yards

Yesterday we thought from the report that we would be scratching around looking for skiable terrain that wasn't trashed. Even our first run down Miharashi was good skiing through reasonably deep although cut up snow.

Jackson's was however the goods. There is plenty of fresh lines in there which we lapped 3 times. Two of the people we've been showing around have just arrived from Chamonix and can't believe the quality of the snow. They're blown away.

Still snowing here and I think we've had about 10cm overnight but am anticipating that it will snow all day. Fingers crossed that the wind isn't too strong.

29. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

#329 Go Native, Feb 8, 2012
  30. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris One of Us

hey guys,

Heading over in a couple of weeks. hopefully the run of pow continues!

After some eating ideas, we've got a group of 8 this year, 4 couples, we'll be in the market for some good food and will probably have to plan ahead a bit more to get in anywhere with 8 people. last year was a boys trip and whilst food wasn't the main priority we did score some good food, whilst names escape me some of them were: that place on the main hirafu intersection in the old house, with its other restaurant across the road (quality), korean bbq in a big tent (ok, but all you can eat/drink, we got our money's worth), sushi joint on the other side of the road to the first restaurant at the main hirafu intersection. That's about all i can remember but i know there were a couple of others.

Staying in Hirafu again, but happy to venture elsewhere for some good eats. Keen for a night in Kutchan too.

We've also got a night in Sapporo at the end. Last year we stumbled into an amazing place, but i dont like our chances of finding it this time as all the restaurants tend to look the same from the outside. If there's a must eat at Sapporo please let us know! One thing i do know is there will be some baseballs hit at Sluggers.

Any ideas?

31. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The best meals we had were at Bang Band and A Bu Cha 2, plenty of other good ones but names I can't remember.

32. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

From my experience, you cant go too wrong and things should be quieter in the next few weeks when you go.

33. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

For a truly memorable dining experience it's hard to go past Kamimura. Up to an 11 course degustation menu fusing French techniques with local produce. The wine selection is also the best in town. The owner and head chef, Kamimura, worked for some years in Sydney at Tetsuya's and offers similar high quality. It's pricey but worth it.
    For something a little less exe but also a great experience is Bouken Japanese Kitchen. It's situated on the other side of the bridge on the corner of route 5 as you head into Kutchan. Pre bookings are essential and they will come pick you up from your accommodation. A very traditional Japanese multi course set menu (vegetarian and seafood options available) set in a quaint old school house. Lovely owners who produce an incredibly well presented menu at a very modest price.
    These are two of my favourites for going to on special occassions or in the case of Bouken to introduce newly arrived friends to a lovely Japanese dining experience. Best thing about Niseko and especially if you include Kutchan you really are spoilt for choice when it comes to good food.

34. warhol

warhol Hard Yards

We went to the sushi train again last night in Kutchan which is also good for big groups. Try Senchou (Boat restaurant) Izakaya. Really good seafood, bbq and great salmon fried rice.

Yarrawarra, Rin, Mina Mina are all good too.

35. Olgreg

Also Jam Bar, and my fave for bar style eating, Yosaku. Both easy going, friendly and flavoursome.

36. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

Yeah many thanks Texy for all the pics and the words.
    We'll be there soon, but don't have no camera on a stick.
    Didn't follow the utube link to do with ultralights, but take care if that was the same Tex....?

37. surfie_guy1

surfie_guy1 One of Us

Here's another vote for A-Bu-Cha 2. Infact a-bu-cha 1 (the bakery) is awesome too!! The hot pots at A Bu Cha 2 are amazing and the staff create a loud and fun atmosphere.

Highly recommend the lunch buffet at Niseko Northern Resort Annupuri - 1,800 yen unless you can find the discount vouchers which make it 1,500. Not sure where the vouchers come from though.

Today was pretty tough going out on the mountain. All the peak lifts were on wind hold, the Annupuri gondola was running on slow speed and it was cold with a high wind chill. That made it relatively quiet out on the mountain if you avoided the Hirafu gondola. Had fresh lines all morning in Strawberry fields. Wanted to get over to Annupuri but as the top lifts were closed there was no ski route so caught the bus around. Rewarded with boot deep windblown powder on piste and knee/thigh deep in the trees, all untouched. Unfortunately gate 8 was closed so couldn't drop into the bowl but it was so quiet over there that it didn't matter, the trees on piste were untouched.

Snowed on and off all day with high winds. Still snowing now at 7pm. Probably 20cm accumulated around the accomodation. Unfortunately with the wind lots of cornices and wind loading will have developed so will be interesting to see what happens with the gates over the next few days. Add to that the warm temps we had 2 days ago.

I don't have to worry though, as today was my last day skiing, home tomorrow. If anyone is currently in Niseko and wants some alcohol, we've got almost a bottle of Absolut vanilla, some kahlua and some gin left over that is gonna be left in the accomodation, unless someone wants it! PM me

38. CarveMan

Annupuri Buffet was ordinary this year, Hilton 10x better.

39. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Better than cortina pizza? [​IMG]

#339 Donza, Feb 8, 2012
  40. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Re restaurants gn...how about hurry slowly for dinner...that was awesome..was it yins?

41. CarveMan

42. Donza

Donza Pool Room

43. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Niseko has a lot going for it...but if it doesn't snow it has to be the worst mountain for groomers I've ever slid.....well besides rainbow

44. CarveMan

I went touring.

45. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

Hurry Slowly (restaurant name is Yo) is great as well. I must admit though I haven't been in years. Living in Kutchan I didn't go out in the village for dinner all that much.

#345 Go Native, Feb 8, 2012
  46. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Sorry yo not yin...my mistake well it was five years for me lol...but I sent some crew there and they raved

47. Mercyrx3

Mercyrx3 Hard Yards

TUK TUK under captain Hirafu

really good Thai food

48. ratherb@thesnow

ratherb@thesnow Hard Yards

Had the Niseko Hilton Buffet a couple of times this year, highly recomended plus you can pocket a couple of brownies for a mid afternoon snack with a cup of coffee at the 1000m Hut in Hirafu on your way back

49. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris One of Us

Good work guys, thanks for the suggestions. Some sound familiar i think we hunted them down last year. Surfie Guy, yeah the A Bu Cha 2 hotpots got a couple of hitouts last year!

Oh, and forget the Hilton lunch time buffet, A bowl of Butter or Miso Ramen with a can of coffee is all i need for lunch!

50. Texy

Texy Hard Yards

yep.. same Tex.

Home [​IMG] but [​IMG] aswell

#350 Texy, Feb 9, 2012