1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Niseko 2015

Discussion in 'Japan' started by jakes47, Sep 15, 2014.

1. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Instructor/guide not the same - obviously. And that is probably why charges were laid. That story smacks of a beat-up.

2. Seemore

Seemore Hard Yards

Never used either do you have to sign a waiver form if going BC with a guide?

3. Boolugu Mez

Boolugu Mez Hard Yards

Yup - essentially it says " the patron acknowledges that backcountry snowsports are dangerous ..blah blah blah...must be an experienced skier/boarder... blah blah blah .... we are not responsible for your safety".........

Kind of understandable, I mean it's not their fault if you screw up and hit a tree miles from anywhere, but then again if they take you into an avvy prone area on a day with high danger rating and you get buried, or if they fail to at least make you at least vaguely aware of no-go spots on a slope before you all drop into a run, I'd think that they have a duty of care regardless of any waiver that was signed.

Lets be realistic though, they're taking you into an environment where there are so many factors beyond their control that all you can hope for is that they care enough to try and point out the possible hazards to their guests, judge the groups ability well, and if doing halfway serious stuff give you a beacon, shovel, probe + show you the basics of using them.

4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

^business wouldn't last too long if they didn't with competitors doing it right.

5. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I think if you're knowingly going into an avvy-prone area then the guide is there to help, but the vagueries of nature are such that there are no hard and fast guarantees of safety. If the guide can show that he/she's followed all the guidelines and done a decent job of steering you round the recognisable hazards there's not much more you can expect, and if Mother Nature has PMS that day then she's going to dump on you despite the best efforts of the local experts.

So long as the guide can demonstrate due care that's all that should be needed. If they take you into a high danger area against their advice at your insistence then it's your problem, not theirs.

nfip and LMB like this.
  6. LMB

But I would expect a good guide to say 'sorry brother, today is not the day to be going to (that place)'. And any half way intelligent human to reply with 'cheers, I'm glad we had you to give expert advice. '

nfip and Piste Again like this.
  7. Boolugu Mez

Boolugu Mez Hard Yards

Any waiver that you sign for an "adventure" activity (like skydiving for example) pretty clearly implies that "we're not responsible if shit happens" - while this doesn't completely absolve the company of liability it points out that there are inherent risks involved in the activity - they still have a professional obligation to take all "reasonable steps" to try and minimise the danger..... I think that skiing can be seen to be bit more complex because of variables like weather/snowpack, rider ability, unforseen natural hazards etc.... riders have to understand that they have responsibility too ( I'd draw the line there as long as the guide doesn't put them onto a slope where failure is likely because of adverse conditions )

On my recent trip I chose a higher level of insurance which covered off piste/ backcountry etc, but it still stated that if going outside the resort you had to abide by the local avalanche forecast or you weren't covered. Hit a tree off piste and no problem with coverage, but go into an area where the avvy forecast states there is high risk, and you're on your own....

Piste Again likes this.
  8. Piste Again

Absolutely. A good guide will not only say that but suggest a good alternative as well.

Or suggest not to try it today at all if it's that bad...

9. LMB

We had a day off due to weather. Contacted my guy who was free. I threw around suggestions to go elsewhere in case something was running. ..even suggested a trip to Otaru for Sushi. He'd have been paid well regardless of conditions but he looked at all the forecasts and suggested we spend the money getting a massage as the roads would be shite and conditions everywhere only decent for ducks.
    Man of honour.

10. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have a question, with avy info thin on the ground in places like Nozawa and pretty much a blanket announcement every morning about high avalanche danger (it really didn't change for 5 weeks), presumably because of the stress associated with the rope ducking fiasco which was going on and trying to discourage it, what are peoples thoughts about the cover above?

Mods - if in the wrong spot please move

11. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Would be interesting to see the actually wording of the policy.

12. Pat42

Pat42 One of Us

rope ducking = no cover, different story if you leave through a designated backcountry gate

13. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

But the cover was for backcountry, so ropes don,t come into it.

14. Pat42

Pat42 One of Us

Off-piste (or backcountry) skiing or boarding means 'going out of bounds', i.e. outside the resort boundary (if there is a boundary) or off the marked pistes if within the resort area. If you are going out of bounds or outside marked areas of the resort, we recommend you do so with a fully qualified local guide. If you state that you want off piste cover you are insured for off-piste without a guide provided that you are not going alone or going against advice. Some areas within a resort may be considered out of bounds because they are hazardous. In most parts of North America, going out of bounds contravenes local law and therefore there would not be any cover in place.

It is your responsibility to ensure that on any particular day you are aware of and obey local advice, information and instructions given by the resort authorities and that you obey any signs and information you encounter on the mountain - it is your responsibility to find out. If a section is marked 'closed' there will be a very good reason for it (e.g. high avalanche danger) and ignoring such signs or advice may invalidate your cover. You should be aware that under the terms of cover, needless self-exposure to peril except in an endeavour to save human life may invalidate your cover. It is a condition of cover that you abide by the International Ski federation – Snow Sports Rules as shown here

If you duck a rope your cover is going to be voided trust me, treated as riding in a closed area

there is already a thread on it

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/travel-insurance-japan.49690/

nfip likes this.
  15. Piste Again

My trip to Niseko on April 9-12 is still in the balance depending on conditions. I notice that today's Niseko report says Hirafu's Ace numbers 1 and 4 and King number 1 lifts are now not operating. The place I was planning to stay is at the bottom of the Ace Family lift - is the closure of those chairs going to make access a problem with the resort shuttle not running at that time of year?

16. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

No , there will be other lifts for access up the hill.
    Ace 2 is good enough jump start.
    Check here for start and website should show what is open.
    http://ski-resorts-japan.com/niseko-trail-maps
    Can always earn your turns ;)
    Plenty of options there

#566 nfip, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  17. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Check the Family Lift is still running. Otherwise it's a shuttle to the Ace quad #2 or Hirafu gondola

18. gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman First Runs

Is there anyone out there who wants to try for a Yōtei summit tour this Sunday/Monday - current forecast is looking clear and calm and I'm looking for touring buddies. If we can put a group together and hire a guide that'd be sweet, or maybe there's a hero out there with route knowledge and transport!

19. Piste Again

Thanks for the other info.

Must admit that M8 isn't really into earning turns. Or carrying skis. Lucky he enjoys it when gravity is his friend, as does his dad (M61) LOL.

I'm a law-abiding citzen. The law of gravity should not be transgressed. Skis go down hills, lifts go up.

freddy and nfip like this.
  20. Piste Again

I got the impression that by April 9 the shuttles will stop running?

21. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Not too far to walk up to Ace #2.
    1 or 200 m or so from Ace 1 from memory

22. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Shuttle from the accommodation.

23. LMB

http://www.niseko.ne.jp/en/weather/grand-hirafu.html
    Ace Family lift is operational - if you're staying at The Vale or one of the other hotels that is right there then it'll be the way to go. You wouldn't want to use the Ace 1 lift anyway - in 13 trips I've used it twice when everything else was on wind hold. It runs alongside the Ace 2 (Quad) but only 1/3 of the distance.
    King 1 has been hit and miss this season as to whether it's been running anyway...as has the Ace 4.
    You'll be fine :thumbs:

24. Piste Again

25. Piste Again

We pulled the pin on this trip in the end. It's getting warm, there's been a fair bit of wet precipitation, only 4 lifts left running at Hirafu and quite a few $$$ for 4 days of what looks like slushy skiing rather than spring hero snow.

We'll book in for a few days of (hopefully) better snow at Thredbo in August instead and save quite a few $$$ in the process.

We're planning a Japan trip in January instead. Thanks all for the suggestions though!

26. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just saw you asked me this back in February. I was in Japan at the time and didn't see your post. Can't remember who translated it for us but that's what we were told. It works pretty well for coughs etc. No pe?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Jodie Hands

Jodie Hands First Runs

28. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Besides the blog.. feel free to contribute to the threads.
    You'll find more people read your blog then

Jamesc, Ozgirl and D64133 like this.
  29. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Some local media are reporting today Shimamaki-mura will start Mt.Kariba backcountry Cat tour from tomorrow (February 5th) to April 20th everyday. Simamaki-mura is a ski resort-less small village in Shiribeshi Subprefecture (Niseko is also in Shiribeshi).
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/hokkaido/news/20160204-OYTNT50013.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimamaki,_Hokkaido

From the red circle(520m), the CAT goes up to East Kariba Mountain(=the blue circle = 1,318m). You can ski down to the red circle place(about 800m vertical drop) or hike up to Kariba Mountain(=the green circle =1,520m), then ski down to the red circle place(about 1,000m vertical drop).
    [​IMG]

This video was filmed on December 15th, and I assume January, February and early March are a lot better.

#579 Ramenman, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  30. Donza

Donza Pool Room

whats the scale on that map?
    Bottom looks awfully flat.

31. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

The course is steep except the last 50 to 80 meters or so.

#581 Ramenman, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  32. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

33. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

ah, sorry, not from tomorrow(5th), but 6th.