Advice needed Niseko 2018

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
Since I visited Kiroro for the first time, I've been thinking Kiroro should make the most of the terrains they have. I hope Kiroro and Sapporo Kokusai are merged into one bigger better ski resort by installing lifts up to the peak of Asaridake. The Red A is Kiroro and the Red B is Sapporo Kokusai. If there is a top lift station at the peak of Asaridake, you can ski down to both Kiroro side and Sapporo Kokusai side, and the yellow skiable area is newly born. And if they install lifts up to the peaks of Mt.Yoichi and Shiraidake, the blue skiable area is newly born. Red A + Red B + Yellow + Blue = New Kiroro = A world class ski resort:cool:

It would be stellar, but not on the cards at the moment unfortunately :(

It is possible to ski tour / walk over the plateau to drop in to Sapporo Kokusai and then ski tour / walk up from the top of the Sapporo Kokusai gondola high enough to drop into the Asarigawa area.

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
kiroro count their hiking backcountry and cat skiing areas as their terrain also. they even charge you to use it, even tho you're not using any lifts, facilities or anything maintained by the company (100% illegal imo).
they've probably just annexed even more national parkland and added more ski patrol traffic cops so that they can argue to charge more.

OK I'll play.

The terrain behind The Kiroro Tribute hotel is owned by Kiroro.

Unlike most of the resorts on Hokkaido, Kiroro submitted an application to the Forestry Commission to include the land between designated runs as managed terrain within the resort boundary.

After a couple of seasons monitoring the situation the Forestry Commission has approved the application.

There will be permanently roped off areas - for safety reasons - but the vast majority of terrain within the resort area boundary is now fair game.

It's other resorts on Hokkaido who turn a blind eye to off-groomed skiing who are not following the Forestry Commission rules.

As soon as you turn off the main road on to the Kiroro road you are on Kiroro owned land.

Kiroro and the Forestry Commission have come to an agreement that Kiroro monitors access from the resort to the backcountry, whether by lift or by foot / ski / splitboard from the base of the resort.

Hence the setting up of the Mountain Club.

And here's the most important part, these rules & conditions are in place to provide as safe an environment as possible whilst attempting to offer the best snow conditions.

If you don't like it, don't visit. It's simple really.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
what on earth is going on with that skiier?!
s0VQEb7.png

hes either:
  • leaning back wayyyy too much!
    NL6qOZ8.png

• or on some really weird shaped skis!
    3crIV3G.png

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
i remember the good ole days when you could ski down that street home after a nighta

Did that a few times and some of the side streets.

Don't recognise anything in that pic now with all those apartment blocks.

Reactions: Vermillion

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Geez, that photo makes the main street look so steep!
its certainly steep enough when you're walking it with a hot ski jacket on! its all the extra crap that adds up, like ski boots, carrying skis, avi gear, and snacks for the day.

Used to be a good yakitori/izakaya to the left of the pic. Abu cha on the right
my old fav all you can drink fuji yakitori is gone from the right too.

i remember the good ole days when you could ski down that street home after a nighta
i know this guy with a green jacket that still skis down gondola-zaka st, then through the baseball/soccer field and back streets to nac for lunch.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Geez, that photo makes the main street look so steep!
It's steep enough when you are racing to get up there before the early lift opening in January carrying gear! Had jelly legs getting on the lift more than once!
Used to be a good yakitori/izakaya to the left of the pic. Abu cha on the right
Abu Cha turned into a bakery the. Was replaced last season with the new building housing retail, bars, bakery and restaurant. Pretty nice and better use of space, but lacks the charm of that little old wooden building.

Reactions: D64133

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It's steep enough when you are racing to get up there before the early lift opening in January carrying gear! Had jelly legs getting on the lift more than once!

Abu Cha turned into a bakery the. Was replaced last season with the new building housing retail, bars, bakery and restaurant. Pretty nice and better use of space, but lacks the charm of that little old wooden building.
Thats sad. I liked Abu Cha.
He're what Main drag used to look like...13 years ago
4599_83486233177_3926737_n.jpg

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Gotta admit the heated and textured footpath either side of the street is an exceptional upgrade. At times the snow is so heavy it can't keep up and you get areas of build up that are treacherous but usually able to go around it. Not like before - can't count how many people I've seen go splat running across that road. The fresh snow hid the slippery ice underneath, as they jumped up onto the snowy footpath dodging between cars - bam! Down they go.
Some changes are very good changes.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Gotta admit the heated and textured footpath either side of the street is an exceptional upgrade. At times the snow is so heavy it can't keep up and you get areas of build up that are treacherous but usually able to go around it. Not like before - can't count how many people I've seen go splat running across that road. The fresh snow hid the slippery ice underneath, as they jumped up onto the snowy footpath dodging between cars - bam! Down they go.
Some changes are very good changes.
Hence why you can't ski down there anymore LOL.
I'm sure its a very good idea. That corner claimed more people than the ski hill

Reactions: Hyst, Any and LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Hence why you can't ski down there anymore LOL.
I'm sure its a very good idea. That corner claimed more people than the ski hill
Didn't it just!! LOL
There's still a few seriously tricky spots around town that'll get you if you're not careful.

Last March our transfer from Welcome Center wasn't there when we got in, couldn't be bothered waiting or calling them so we walked down the hill with our suitcases. The vibrations through your arm from the textured path was HORRENDOUS! Like getting stuck on the rumble strip. Was way better dragging it through the snow for the last bit.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
remember buses not being able to make that turn, or up the hill even. theyd get out and block traffic to put chains on.

i dont miss all the cabling tho. we all ran outside to safety for the big earthquake, but we look around and theres electric cabling swinging around above and all around us :/

someone posted this gem on fb a few months ago.
im guessing its related to full note. i think thats what the arrow points to.
hirafu 1982:
OiRuufk.jpg

vs now:
21587055_1684117351612144_2926641768829165143_o.jpg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
remember buses not being able to make that turn, or up the hill even. theyd get out and block traffic to put chains on.

i dont miss all the cabling tho. we all ran outside to safety for the big earthquake, but we look around and theres electric cabling swinging around above and all around us :/

hirafu 1982:
OiRuufk.jpg

vs now:

Niseko / Kutchan will look different further in 2030. Hokkaido Shinkansen will come to Kutchan - Otaru - Sapporo, and a new Shinkansen station building will be made in Kutchan. It means, a new town will be born around the new Shinkansen station. New Shinkansen stations making new towns often happens in Japan. Plus, Kutchan to Otaru = 13mins, Otaru to Sapporo = 12mins, so Kutchan to Sapporo will be only 25mins by Shinkansen. Then a lot of rich people will start living in Kutchan and commute to Sapporo. In green season, the new residents will enjoy playing golf, fishing, hiking, cycling, etc in and around Niseko area every weekend, and of course they will get Niseko United Season pass to ski.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Niseko / Kutchan will look different further in 2030. Hokkaido Shinkansen will come to Kutchan - Otaru - Sapporo, and a new Shinkansen station building will be made in Kutchan. It means, a new town will be born around the new Shinkansen station. New Shinkansen stations making new towns often happens in Japan. Plus, Kutchan to Otaru = 13mins, Otaru to Sapporo = 12mins, so Kutchan to Sapporo will be only 25mins by Shinkansen. Then a lot of rich people will start living in Kutchan and commute to Sapporo. In green season, the new residents will enjoy playing golf, fishing, hiking, cycling, etc in and around Niseko area every weekend, and of course they will get Niseko United Season pass to ski.
Infrastructure on the hill needs to improve between now and 2030 then!!
Wowsers...

Reactions: Froff Life

Mufts

Potato
Ski Pass
Oct 27, 2004

hirafu 1982:
OiRuufk.jpg

vs now:
That is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!
Where the dead end road finishes in the trees bottom centre is where our place is now.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Infrastructure on the hill needs to improve between now and 2030 then!!
Wowsers...

Shimamaki might open a Furano-sized ski resort by 2030, well, I wish:D.

Shimamaki is a small village without a ski resort in Shiribeshi Sub-Prefecture, Hokkaido, about 100 mins by car from Kutchan. The village mayor of Shimamaki said in a ski magazine interview "Whenever I see a lot of foreigners visiting Niseko for skiing, I wish we also had a ski resort". Then a few years ago, Shimamaki started backcountry cat tours at Mt.Kariba and Mt.East Kariba. Mt.Kariba's elevation is 1,520m and Mt.East Kariba is 1,300m. If they make a ski resort there, the vertical drop will become 900m or more and the size of the ski resort can be bigger than Furano ski resort;).

A very similar case is actually happening in Honshu now. Rokkosan Snow Park in Hyogo Prefecture has been attracting many foreigners in recent years because it's very close to Kobe & Osaka. Seeing Rokkosan Snow Park attracting a lot of tourists from abroad, a small village in Hyogo Prefecture decided to make a new ski resort, and it's actually opening in this December.

Small villages on snowy mountains are facing quickly shrinking population and aging society. Young people keep moving to bigger cities in search of "better jobs". Small villages like Shimamaki want to create "better jobs" to make young people keep living in the villages by making ski resorts, etc.

Last edited:

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
GoSnow announced additional priority lift lines for Hirafu this season.

Better value for lessons.

IMG_6373.PNG

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
So, daughter bought her flight yesterday night, found a appartment in Kutchan. This time she works for Hanazono.
Hopefully after this her skibumb-life will be ower. :cry_ubb:
tKumln9b.jpeg
Kamanahashi-san!!

2ESki

One of Us
Apr 16, 2017
So, daughter bought her flight yesterday night, found a appartment in Kutchan. This time she works for Hanazono.
Hopefully after this her skibumb-life will be ower. :cry_ubb:
tKumln9b.jpeg
Is it just me or does Kamanahashi-san look like a platypus o_O

Reactions: Hyst and LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Whoops..
Kamonohashisan
My spelling error!