1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Niseko 2020

Discussion in 'Japan' started by jakes47, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Haha if I actually do like a run or aspect or ski resort I’m more likely to recommend something completely different to what I actually want to ski, on a public forum. Do I really want tens of people skiing out my favourite run or resort?

So yeah head to Silver Dream - best skiing in Niseko

2. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

3. RCN

RCN Early Days

Boomerang run at Niseko Village - gnarly!

Any likes this.
  4. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Caught up with @RCN today for a couple of runs.
    Warm slushy conditions with a real icy layer underneath, with the occasional whiteout in thick clouds or roasty hot sun poking through.

I think I saw @LMB 's lesson group for the first time on the run under the Gondola today also, but I saw it too late to spray them or disrupt the class in some way. I'll get them next time!

MisterMxyzptlk, LMB, Ozgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Ha ha ha
    Yep.
    We did a lot of the day under Holiday Chair/Gondola today.

Nose Rolls, 180s, nose and tail press drills with loads of variants that had all of us falling on the regular. Would’ve been a good day to give us a spray as we were all laughing and carrying on like children anyway.

And you can’t miss us now the group has blown out to 8 students and 1 coach. Big group.

New guy did the full training and exam last year but fell short on the riding component so he is back just for the last 6 days training and exam this time. That’s probably what I’ll do next year if I can’t pull off the pass this season. That’ll give me a full year to work specifically on whatever weakness I have before attempting again. TBH if I had more than just a single day off here and there I’d be booking some private one on one coaching for the boxes and jumps, but I’m really needing my days off to rest my broken body LOL

Glad you caught up with @RCN though!
    I was sure you’d be working today @Any - not exactly your kind of usual day on the hill :emoji_sun_with_face:

Ozgirl, RCN and Any like this.
  6. Any

I'd be afraid of losing the other stuff I had learned in such a long gap. Hope he doesn't fail at other parts of the exam now.

Valentines day; couldn't resist a romantic slushy icy cloudy day out with @RCN :p
    ... also, Rhythm have done some more to try to get Phantom working on my skis, and I needed to take them for a test drive. 3 base grinds on brand new skis isn't great, but I think it might finally be successful now.

Ozgirl and RCN like this.
  7. LMB

Yeah... if I went down that path I’d most definitely be getting some March instruction on the fail points, then following up with riding to the exam components in Thredbo, then coming back for private coaching with the instructor mates thru HME, before rejoining Niseko Academy for the final 6 days to polish up. Not sure this guy has done that much. He’s concerned about the same elements as me.

Ha ha lovers ski day!!!
    Poor PB had to wait until about 4pm before I even wished him happy valentines - we both forgot the date!!

Ozgirl and Any like this.
  8. AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

After a day of Australian conditions yesterday, the temperature has dropped and we are back into negative territory. Light snow falling, hoping for some accumulation. At least the trees will look ‘right ‘ again with snow!

LMB and Any like this.
  9. LMB

Up high is in good nick.
    Down low it’s horrid.

10. RCN

RCN Early Days

Thanks for the ski meetup and dinner yesterday @Any!

Conditions today was probably the worst I've skied anywhere. Solid ice masked by a thin layer of fresh snow. Treacherous.

Paulie_d and Any like this.
  11. PizzaWhenFrenchFry

PizzaWhenFrenchFry Early Days

Coming down steadily for the past hour or so - a centimetre or two on top of the car. Hopefully the forecasts remain true and those "blizzard-like conditions" sustain into tomorrow morning!

12. RCN

RCN Early Days

The snowfall appears rather light though...

13. PizzaWhenFrenchFry

PizzaWhenFrenchFry Early Days

It is light but has been constant for the past 7 hours. Roughly 10cm on the car at the moment.

RCN likes this.
  14. Any

insane winds = lifts closed = big queues.
    all reports call for 20-30cm snow, but Any's report says 6-8cm, because thats all there actually is on the ground. the rest is blown away.

i bailed after only 2 runs. just saw this on facebook:

RCN and LMB like this.
  15. LMB

I’m still sick in bed but classmate sent a message that the Ace Quad queue was back up the hill and around to the Skye hotel! Madness for a layer of dust on crust.

edited to add supporting photo shamelessly stolen off fb.

RCN and Any like this.
  16. Any

thats quite an orderly queue for ace2. usually its quite a bit more messy.

17. LMB

Maybe they got the queue nazis in after all!

Ozgirl, Any and Hyst like this.
  18. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

That’s awful. Firmly in the “why bother” territory

MisterMxyzptlk likes this.
  19. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

File this then.. As well.

MisterMxyzptlk and RCN like this.
  20. LMB

I can totally see why people who are on a one or two week vacation who’ve not had much snow this week would get into these queues. I probably would too.

Same thing happen elsewhere.
    The queues at Vail last week were mental also. When the snow finally falls and loads of lifts are closed due to wind these crazy queues are the result.

RCN likes this.
  21. RCN

RCN Early Days

Had a powder group class today, so managed to skip the long lines. Gondola was shut just after 0900, but we managed to get up Ace centre 4 before it was shut too. Highlights were 1 run down Konayuki and the trees to the left of Holiday. Good fun nonetheless, tomorrow will be better I'm sure.

Any and LMB like this.
  22. LMB

The GoSnow lift priority would be worth its weight on days like today.

seealski, usedtacould and RCN like this.
  23. RCN

RCN Early Days

Fantastic day at powder workshop. All the crowds have gone, minimal wait times today. Weather was variable, snowed, became sunny, snowed again. Exposed areas were icy after yesterday's 70km/h winds, but lots of snow in the trees. Highlights were Strawberry fields, the forest betweeen Miharashi and Holiday, and Konayuki. An absolute blast today which salvaged the crappy conditions the past week!

LMB and Any like this.
  24. Any

nice one!
    gosnow? big/small group?
    sounds like you hit some nice spots, all of those are facing the right direction for the snow the other day.

i saw that the peak opened today, and some people were trying to ski the east face. from below it looked like a single solid piece of ice. could see them falling over all over the place and trying to bail out back to the ridge line. quite entertaining.

Ozgirl likes this.
  25. Boston_ILLEGAL

Boston_ILLEGAL First Runs

I'm heading over end of next week into first week of March...a novice skiier who will be keeping to the pistes. Just wondering, since there's not much snow forecast for that time, where should I be going to get the best quality snow conditions on the slopes? Are all the 4 ski areas (annupuri, NV, hirafu and hana) going to be more or less similar or will certain ones fare better because they are facing a certain direction or the terrain just maintains the snow better etc?

Ozgirl likes this.
  26. RCN

RCN Early Days

Yup it was with GoSnow. Small group class, i.e. up to 4, though it was just one other person and myself the other day. The workshop group classes are an excellent value (14400 yen) for 5.5 hours of instruction. I'm pretty happy with them this time round. Being so used to piste skiing, I really had to relearn the narrow stance and larger vertical movement for deep snow/trees.

Any and LMB like this.
  27. RCN

RCN Early Days

I would imagine it will be the piste type (steepness, width, groomed vs ungroomed) as well as traffic (highly trafficked runs like Alpen get in bad shape without new snow) that would be bigger factors on where to go. Hirafu has the most variety and is the most popular. If you can do any groomed blacks (small moguls on Champion course at Annupuri) and if the top lifts are open, then you'd be able to explore all 4 resorts on skis.

28. LMB

The aspect at Hanazono does mean it holds snow in better nick for longer in warmer weather. And Niseko Village has had shocking cover for most of this season, so unless it gets a decent snow I wouldn’t waste my time there this year.

Boston_ILLEGAL and Any like this.
  29. Any

not much snow reported overnight, but today was surprisingly good because of the snow deposited by the wind.
    still hitting that ice layer underneath for any big hard turns, but found a heap of pow today by being smart and planning where to ski based on that wind.
    because of its odd direction, today some of the best options were down low and in bounds. far better than off the peak way out stuff that I hit first up this morning. all the sheep expect the snow to be better out there, so all the good stuff in bounds was left untouched! knee deep in places, on a groomer!

i also got to flex my "I'm prepared to be 1% more of an ***hole than you" lift line rule, with some German dude bringing European style lift queuing to Japan. getting to go full ***hole mode by standing on his skis, pushing him back, blocking the way, "welcome to Japan, is it your first time?", etc. he eventually got the hint.

Annupuri and NV are heavily effected by wind and the afternoon sun. The sun there can make for nice slushy skiing in the afternoon, but horrible crusty skiing in the morning. Hirafu and especially Hanazono are more protected from the normal wind direction, and get a good % more snow as it gets deposited from the other side. But because of that protection they can suffer from low lying warm weather pockets that sit there and mean the snow 800m and below can suddenly turn to snot, but not to slush, so it becomes very poor skiing.

I wouldn't worry about the weather yet tho. You should plan to be adaptable and adjust when you get here.
    on a normal season the forecast more than 3-4 days out doesn't mean too much. two weeks from now is far too far for anyone to make even remotely accurate weather predictions, especially if you name yourself after a flying jumping chewing herbivorous insect.
    but this year is special, the weather man seems to be just throwing darts at a board, and the weather gods are throwing darts randomly at a different board. even 1 day forecast means nothing.
    today was a rotation of all weather patterns 5 minutes apart, like a toddler playing with a weather control device.
    at about 11 we started getting these weird calm clear patches with real localized wind gusts down low that was ripping all the snow out of the trees in spooky wisps of clouds that follow the valley bottoms. really cool to see from above actually.

Ozgirl, Boston_ILLEGAL, LMB and 2 others like this.
  30. RCN

RCN Early Days

Today wraps up my 11 day trip. Best conditions saved for the very last day. Good amount of really light dry powder, quite a contrast to the lower quality stuff that fell on 16 Feb.

Still hitting ice both on piste and off (Strawberry fields) but mostly deep enough. Got to put into practise skills learnt it powder class. While I had hoped for more days like today, this trip was nonetheless a good introduction to powder.

Many thanks again @Any for the catch ups, I've learnt a lot from you!

Ozgirl, Hyst, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  31. KenX

KenX First Runs

Went to Kokusai for our last ski on Monday hoping to score, but high winds meant all lifts were closed........
    But, on the way out of the resort, we spotted a little car park on the left, about 1km down the road with a skin track leading into the trees on the other side of the road.
    Thought "why not", and skinned up for an hour or so and found some really nice boot deep in the trees!
    So nice in fact that we did it again and signed off on our first visit to Japan :)

RCN, Annabuzzy, Olgreg and 1 other person like this.
  32. Boston_ILLEGAL

Thanks for the tip! :) Actually, last time we were there in 2018, we also found the NV terrain to be our least favorite out of the 4. Even on days when the others had decent quality piste conditions from light snowfalls, for some reason a lot of the NV runs were still super icy. When you say it's had shocking cover...do you mean more off-piste? Seems the official snow depth and snowfall numbers being reported are pretty similar between the 4 areas...

33. Boston_ILLEGAL

Thanks for the great advice! Got a car and just using Niseko as the base to go between the Niseko 4 areas and Rusutsu and Kiroro depending on where the snow falls (or where the rain doesn't LOL). Niseko is kinda conveniently in the middle between the other two so makes for a good base.

So you suggest if it hasn't snowed for a couple of days and it hasn't kept super cold....to do Hirafu/Hana in the mornings and save Annupuri for afternoon sessions?

34. Any

when I was last at NV they had huge brown patches in the pistes, and even piles of little rocks in/on the fresh corduroy cause the groomers had ripped it up.
    its not normally so black and white, but yeah sounds good.
    if its warm the day before it means you have a thaw freeze going on to, so its a lot about timing. catching it when its softening up or slushy, but not in between.

Boston_ILLEGAL likes this.
  35. Any

not a bad day.
    just enough fresh snow to make a nice meal of it.

(why wont you play at 4k mr tube :( )

36. Boston_ILLEGAL

Sounds appealing..:rolleyes: Weather forecast looks not too horrible so far...no big falls but will settle for anything that's not positive temps and rain. Will do a snow dance with the wifey :D

Any likes this.
  37. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

He's a good egg.

RCN and Any like this.
  38. Any

39. Any

uh, so the sun came out and someone had to ski it!
    getting to that border between spam and stoke?

Hyst and LMB like this.
  40. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Junior feel a bit behind - you are just to fast.
    Great video.

LMB and Any like this.
  41. LMB

Blizzard in Niseko today.
    Brutal conditions.
    Just perfect for my first day back on the hill after getting off my pneumonia deathbed LOL

Only lifts running were Holiday, King 1, Ace pair and Ace Family.

Conditions were powtastic over on the Gondie side for our morning activities, but we moved to the family run for switch skiddies demos in the afternoon - well that was some slick death marble at the base of the lift and at the top, not too bad in between however, but it certainly was giving all the beginners a bit of trouble. I tried to encourage as many as possible to head to the holiday lift for their own sake.

I’m still producing enough snot to solve the water crisis of a small African nation, and my balance is well dodgy. I’ve also missed the vital last week of training so will be trying to whip out 3 freestyle tricks without ever having attempted them before so likelihood of passing this exam is poor. But I’m having a crack anyway. 1 day done; 5 to go.

Olgreg, usedtacould, Ozgirl and 2 others like this.
  42. Any

i've been watching the chaos outside all day. thankful that im not out there!
    tomorrows gonna be insane. huge avi danger, shitty icy spots, shitty firm windblown spots, and crazy idiots in between that think that every blizzard means a 30cm pow day.

Ozgirl and LMB like this.
  43. LMB

PB had a 3hr hike on his training programme today - would normally do 1.5hrs up Yotei and back - not today!!! He just power walked into Kutchan and back. But he said that there were people driving today that had no right to be behind the wheel of a car. 10km p/hr on the wrong side of the road being abused by local taxi drivers. MENTAL.

We also talked about the avi risk tomorrow when they open. Hope it’s not catastrophic like last time - 2 dead that day. Caution will be required.

Any likes this.
  44. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Make the most of the current snow, because, apart from a small burst of snow around 2/3rd March, I can't see any other snow up to and past 10th March for Niseko.

45. LMB

Hopefully we remain cold enough to maintain the snow conditions then.

46. Any

this season, the forecast has had nothing to do with actual conditions.
    i dont even look at it anymore.
    all i check is today's weather, and adapt accordingly.

47. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Stay safe kids!!

Any and LMB like this.
  48. Sandy

Well, for those who were thinking of waiting until the shitty icy spots, shitty firm windblown spots get better later tomorrow or the next day, they should go get the powder early tomorrow, because there will be a lean patch for a while, IMO.

49. Sandy

It should stay below freezing in that period.....

50. LMB

So every human who was within driving distance of Hirafu took Sandys advice this morning and was queued up for first lifts or to buy a lift ticket to then queue up again for the lift LOL

I’ve seen the lift queue back up to Skye once before, but I’ve never seen the queue for lift tickets simultaneously back to the drop in to the family course!

Caught a family of groomers coming back home after grooming Holiday Course this morning. Not quite as exciting as seeing ALL the groomers on convoy to build the spring park last year, but a bit of fun spotting 4.

Snow quality was great today, and the bluebird morning turned into a cold and snowy day, so tomorrow should be money as well.

We were caught out by Konayuki closing early today having planned for off piste ride demos down there after doing Intro to Off Piste demos up off the side of Yotei Sunset. I did see a few ski patrol buckets headed up that way earlier in the day so maybe there were too many injuries with ice underneath so they closed it...?

ohh and those heinous lift queues?
    Lasted about an hour until people distributed across the hill. At 1pm we got straight onto the Ace Quad, zero wait, 2 to a chair with a couple of empties in front and behind our group.