1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Niseko 2020

Discussion in 'Japan' started by jakes47, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

for my 2nd run I came back to Gondola, despite the queue, because the snow in some of my favorite/secret protected spots down low was very nice. I saw the ski patrol bucket coming down with a dude in it. someone in the queue said he had hurt himself on Konayuki on first run, too excited charging too hard without a warmup. maybe that's why they closed it.

today was quite a nice reset of most the mountain, mostly covering up that rain layer from yesterday. with a couple of heinous ice patches about up high still tho. filled in spots were very wind effected, maybe something creamy but dry and firm like flour, softish but you dont sink much, making it ultra fast skiing requiring a lot of speed control.
    I did only one run up high before going back into the deep wind protected valleys.

many lifts were closed until about 10-11 because they simply hadn't had time to clear all the windblown ice and snow off of them yet.
    the top gates were closed with ultra high avi danger. ski patrol were reporting 45cm deep easily triggered slabs coming off everywhere. they even had ski patrol manning the gates and ropes stopping people from going out or ducking.
    from home, I noticed by 1pm that the peak lifts had opened, I don't know what happened to the gates in that case, maybe opened eventually.

blue sky morning meant the go-amateur comes out for a reasonably cool video.

it was dumping at about 4pm, so I went for a night ski to make up for not skiing much. but it stopped immediately after I walked out the door.
    found some fresh patches when skiing with a buddy. stopped for a photo or two but seems my gopro doesn't like to focus at night.

Ozgirl, LMB and Telemark Phat like this.
  2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

@Any glad you also saw the Konayuki bucket. Confirmation is always reassuring that you’re not imagining things.

PB did a Konayuki at 11.30 and the whole area under the Gondola was roped off and he said he had never seen Konayuki in worse condition, really wind effected and apparently a “drop off” where there usually isn’t one... not sure I quite understood that description, but suffice it to say gnarly.

Any likes this.
  3. Any

I ducked rope (well I went around it, but same thing) and did it tonight and it was actually pretty good snow and good turns on far skiiers right..
    Halfway down I cut hard left into the Mihirashi trees to see how dark it is, preparing to get the headlamp out. Lucky I did, on the way up we saw from the Gondola that there were about 5 ski patrol messing about with the padding at the Gondola pole at the bottom. Maybe thats where the guy got into trouble.

LMB likes this.
  4. LMB

Ahhhhh
    That’d explain why they had that pitch roped off! That’s the exact pitch we are supposed to be using for the off piste demo.

5. LMB

With no fresh snow overnight I have to say the condition of the mountain in Hirafu today was pretty fantastic. Snow quality was excellent, groomers were schmick and the off trail was fun, soft, good condition and eminently rideable.

Had my toughest day on the hill today, freestyle exam - pulled off a lot of stuff I never thought I’d manage, some very nice straight airs on the bigger features - but I gave myself a decent concussion with a fall on the box attempting my first board slide. Sucked it up and lapped out the park a few more times getting a few board slides and presses out - probably not a high enough standard or consistent enough to pass my exam though. The afternoon session with a pounding head and feeling nauseous was tough. Two days to go and I’ll see where I’m at and make a plan from there.

Looking forward to the projected snow around my birthday the first week of March for some serious playtime snow fun.

Any and Ozgirl like this.
  6. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

you rock mummabear no matter what happens.

Any and LMB like this.
  7. Mufts

Mufts Potato Ski Pass: Gold

Been in Niseko a few weeks now. Had some very very good days....

skifree, Hyst, Ozgirl and 6 others like this.
  8. Any

A down day for me. A tree attacked me yesterday, hurt my foot, so now I'm out of action for a bit.
    Thankfully my boots are so super tight that I think they held it all together quite well. Skiing from the Higashi One cornice, down through Jacksons steep trees and the 4km goat track traverse out, on one foot, was interesting!

Recent highlight was Friday with 30+cm at Kiroro.
    Had fun convincing a ski patrol to do a run with me. He couldn't understand why someone would want to ski with a ski patroller. Just because you have a uniform on doesn't mean you can't have fun ;)

Before breaking myself yesterday I managed to be literally the first off the peak somehow for some endless fields of shallow fresh pow.
    In the footage I found that at one point I looked back, saw next two people coming down were several minutes behind me, and can be heard saying "hah, that far behind .... tourists". Maybe I deserved to be attacked by that tree :p

Yesterday I also spent some time trying to work out how to get my gopro to not go flat so quickly.
    Sucks that a $1000 camera cant deal with -5c for more than 5 minutes of footage. on -20c days you may as well not try. It's been pissing me off for two seasons now.
    Of course Murphy's Law; I fell when distracted on a firm goat track, landing right on my right chest pocket with all my gear. Two gopros, a gopro 7 frame, batteries, many gopro mounts, portable usb charger and usb cables were suddenly jammed into my ribs. Broke the frame, bruised chest, lost a ski, and had to hike back up to the path in meter deep untouched pow.
    Success tho. My new plan is to either use a new battery for every run, or put the gopro on charge in my pocket after every run for the lift ride up.

skifree, Hyst and LMB like this.
  9. LMB

SMART!!!
    I’ll bring the Nervoderm patch and magnesium tonight, might help you and I won’t need them now.

10. Mufts

Hot (warm tip).
    Rubber band and a hand warmer....
    Works wonders.

Any likes this.
  11. Any

ive tried only once. worked on the 4 but not the 7.
    the newer ones seem to be particularly big power hogs. 4k resolution at 60fps.
    might have to try again sometime tho.

12. Ozgirl

ummmmmmmmm

Any likes this.
  13. Ozgirl

However I am glad you think ski patrol can have fun!

Any likes this.
  14. LMB

Snowboarding for fun - who knew! LOL
    PB and I had a little hit out at Goshiki Onsen this morning.

Back to resort riding tomorrow.
    Maybe a bit of box practice before we head home.

Nice dinner and a few drinks with @Any, @skifree and @Telemark Phat this evening - cheers fellas! Nice evening :thumbs:

15. Boston_ILLEGAL

Boston_ILLEGAL First Runs

I can see there is forecast to be some good snow but also strong winds on Thursday. When do they usually close higher lifts? >50km/he winds? >60 ?

16. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Mufts Nice photos + tele position in powder

Mufts likes this.
  17. Any

its forecast to come from the wrong direction, so they'll be even more sensitive to it. probably close everything above 800m :cry:

skifree likes this.
  18. Ozgirl

Dont wash your hair!

(thats a sure thing to bring on a bad weather day!)

Any likes this.
  19. Boston_ILLEGAL

For real? =( guess we will find out in a few hours..

Any likes this.
  20. Boston_ILLEGAL

Well winds stopped and everything is a go. Constant snow since last night. But pretty wet and heavy.

21. Any

It was nice of the weatherman to stop blowing his ass off this morning. Everything started closed, even the Hirafu gondola, but suddenly everything was open (except for the top lifts, held closed by ski patrol, avi danger was very high).
    Such heavy wet snow I had to learn to ski again, like skiing through sludge. But once I did it was quite fun. Actually got to enjoy a few runs in strawberry fields because there's nobody here.

skifree, Boston_ILLEGAL and LMB like this.
  22. Ozgirl

ummm something is wrong in the second pic....

skifree, Hyst and Any like this.
  23. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Nothing wrong probably just @Any s encounters with trees.:D

Any likes this.
  24. Any

if you love nature, hug a tree

skifree, Hyst, LMB and 2 others like this.
  25. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Just can't beat that answer! :thumbs:

No tree is safe from @Any ! ;)

Ozgirl and Any like this.
  26. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looking very ‘Canada’ there in Hokkaido - at least in my dim distant memory.

just not the shear wall of Rockies / Coast range above the field? Mt Yotei is more PNW like to me. Will have to check out in person one day? (;-)

LMB likes this.
  27. Any

oh that tree hugging pic is old. beaver creek, colorado, 2010 maybe.
    sorry for the confusion. usually trees and i collide at high speed, so this is the only photo i have.

Ozgirl, skifree, snowgum and 2 others like this.
  28. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thats funny!

Take care then Any!

Gee I miss the snow back in Oz! :)-(

(Does it show?).

Any likes this.
  29. Mufts

Thank you.
    I try!

30. Any

Suppose its been over a week, maybe time for an update.

- Ive done Shiribetsu twice with Junior (pics), and a tried out a new to me (but quite well known to guiding companies) backcountry area I've been planning to do for years.

On the first hike Junior redefined the term snow balls. Poor thing.
    I need to find him a waterproof jacket to wear.

- My foot is still bad. I think maybe I really did break something.
    It doesn't help that I keep skiing almost every day with only a day or two rest here and there.
    Since hurting it I also need to remember to stop looking at the trees and look at the gaps. I've had a lot of close calls recently for not skiing trees properly.

- Hitting that tree must have weakened my ski bindings, because a couple of days later suddenly that same ski is broken :( First run on a small powder day.
    The kingpin toe pins breaking are a known issue, however I believed mine weren't part of the batch that was recalled. But that didn't matter because, as usual, Rhythm went the extra yards yet again and got them replaced them on warranty!

- LMB and PB up and abandoned me!
    Much Sad!
    Actually I feel a little guilty for not skiing with PB while LMB was 'working'. The idea was to do touring days, but I've only doe about 20 bc days this season, its a real write off.

- Some bright green hair dye/wax and mohawking gel and hairspray finally arrived from USA. April 1st is going to be fun!

- 20cm of Japow fell last night.
    10+cm was on the forecast, but with crazy wind, so I don't really know where it came from.
    It was a little wind effected, but much face shots were had. I had almost forgotten what Hokkaido trees look like in winter.
    By midday it was getting heavy tho, had to call it quits for my foot anyway.

Telemark Phat, Hyst and skifree like this.