1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Niseko 2020

Discussion in 'Japan' started by jakes47, Apr 4, 2019.

1. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

For @Any

So you know I’m the anti-rulebreaker right, and PB is “the rules don’t apply to me” kinda guy...
    Well driving down this track to spy on developments I said to PB “If we get deported for trespassing on a building site I’m blaming @Any LOL

The digger are here to do something here - if they were for Hanazono they’d be around the corner at Hanazono with the other half a dozen!

Cleared trails in the middle of nowhere, look like they’ve been there for a while though.

Any likes this.
  2. LMB

The electrical upgrades going in are most definitely underground power. And the paths are not heated. Had that confirmed by Niseko Central

(This is new underground works coming up my street)

(These are the power boxes, I noticed they had them all down the main drag in Kutchan and all the overhead power has gone)

(And it seems there has been power run to all the businesses/buildings along the Main Street too)

(Interesting power connections, looks like they’re getting ready to start dismantling)

They also confirmed that the build next to the Gondola centre is an extension to that centre. Go Snow will have offices in there as will Hirafu Rentals.

Hyst likes this.
  3. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Cruel. I can’t wait to take you down my secret run again.
    So it’s basically a swamp, eh.

LMB likes this.
  4. LMB

Basically.
    LOL

Check out the Green Season thread for pics up the Ace lift line.

And woohoo! More coral reef riding! Yipppeee. :p

#54 LMB, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. LMB

Hmmm

So the G20 Tourism meeting is at the Hyatt Hanazono next month.

But it’s not open until January..

Let’s hope the meeting rooms and bathrooms and necessary facilities are up and running. And maybe a section with rooms for the participants.

Right now it looks like this...

Attached Files:

Any likes this.
  6. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Looking very summer like in Niseko by those shots. Understandable given August just finished. I imagine it’s a relatively quick tradition to Autumn/winter in that part of the world.
    Typically is October the month that sees the big temperature change? Or is it usually November?

7. LMB

I’ll take pics in October to compare.
    @Any can do it in November

Sbooker and Any like this.
  8. Any

Any One of Us

i was surprised how quickly Aya came together. It was all cranes and bulldozers, then next day all gone, day after soft opening ceremony.
    Late Jan is a long way away from October tho. Maybe all the G20 members will get gassed with that fresh paint smell ;P
    The weather that time is usually nice tho. Just have it outside with some sun umbrellas.

LMB likes this.
  9. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Sounds fun.
    I'm counting down the days to December so those little milestones will be interesting.

LMB likes this.
  10. LMB

Are you in Hirafu into Jan?
    If so, should catch up.

11. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

@LMB
    No unfortunately.
    It's a quick trip at the end of December mainly as a test to see if we (myself, wife and two kids too) like the Japan thing. We have a longer trip to US in February (sans kids) so can't be away from work too long.
    I can't fathom how a skiing holiday could be any better than the ones we've had to Canada, US and Europe but if it works for our family I suspect this will not be the only time we head that way. I get that we'll not be there in prime powder time but I'm sure we'll get a decent feel for it anyway.
    Thanks for the offer anyway.

LMB likes this.
  12. LMB

I sure hope the snow comes for you guys then. It can be awesome then as a bit quieter than new year on if the snow is in.
    Sadly I am arriving later than usual (1/1) because I didn’t want to have to do a visa hop mid course, just in case I got denied entry due to all the trips I’ve done to Japan in the last 12 months. Unlikely but the eternal worst case scenario worrier.

13. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I’m just glad it’s not open for most of my next trip. The extra beds will be a nightmare if they haven’t lifted Weiss yet

14. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Some hotels are already under construction around Weiss now. Natural Resort Niseko Weiss Hotel got closed last year even though the building wasn't old at all and it was popular because its reasonable priced onsen and lunch(local people used it just for lunch and onsen, rather than staying), but a Hong Kong based company(not Hanazono's company) bought it to build a new luxury hotel at the site.The Hong Kong based company is constructing a hotel at Jozankei onsen as well now(the onsen village near Sapporo Kokusai) and they recently opened a luxury hotel at Hirafu too.

15. LMB

Definitely will increase the numbers at Hana1
    But there is a new lift under construction there at the moment. I’m keen to see how it is actually operating and what the crowds are like.
    It’s easy to catastrophise the impact, and it may be an ongoing issue that changes our experience, but I’m not gonna hit the panic button just yet.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  16. Any

Any One of Us

Last I checked Park Hyatt were advertising upwards of $1000/night per person.
    Im expecting that sort of clientele to be sipping coffee apre ski after their 2 runs, rather than slashing gnar epic japow dude ski all day.

Olgreg, Annabuzzy and LMB like this.
  17. LMB

“Slashing gnar epic japow dude ski all day”
    ROFLROFL

We might have a few more Strawberry Fields rescue’s - “I followed the happy people but now I’m lost in the trees and scared”

Any likes this.