Question Niseko 2020

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Getting snowed out would suck!
Ima new woman - who cares...all in good time. Diversions and reroutings are just opportunities to see thing you may have missed. (At least I’m telling myself that this is me...)
LOL

Reactions: Ozgirl

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Could you slip round and do mine?
Trying to Dr Who 3 sets of skis poles boots and helmets and clothes into 3 bags for 3 weeks
I tell myself it's just geometry

ha ha.
I hear ya.

I took all our snowboards over in August and September with the intention of being smooth sailing - suitcase or two, no waiting around for oversized in peak season blah blah...

PBs mate decides he is joining us on NY day arrival so he can get a lift up with us rather than train/coach. Cool.
“Oh yeah mate, I’m coming from Germany and I left all my snowboarding gear in Perth can you bring my snowboard bag with ya?”
FFS!

Then my friend whose son (went to school with one of mine) is working the season there comes over - his staff pillow is shit can you take his pillow from home for him?
Sure why not, already taking a snowboard bag.

My kid: hey Mum can you take my new step in bindings and boots to save me the room/weight in Feb.
Why not...

Then I get the “what about taking the highly illegal hair loss medication (friends son, mine are just resigned to male pattern baldness)”
Drew the line there - NOPE.

after all my prep I’m still playing Tetris!

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Ima new woman - who cares...all in good time. Diversions and reroutings are just opportunities to see thing you may have missed. (At least I’m telling myself that this is me...)
LOL
True and snowed out means freshies!!

Eros C

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2016
Joined a Niseko staff forum and can’t believe the amount of theft taking place at this resort. Happens everywhere I’m sure, however seems to be a recurring issue at Niseko with the influx of bogans over the years. Have been skiing for many years but never had anything stolen until I visited Niseko. Would recommend investing a lock and wire for future travellers if you need to visit this mountain.its a shame.

Reactions: LMB

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Joined a Niseko staff forum and can’t believe the amount of theft taking place at this resort. Happens everywhere I’m sure, however seems to be a recurring issue at Niseko with the influx of bogans over the years. Have been skiing for many years but never had anything stolen until I visited Niseko. Would recommend investing a lock and wire for future travellers if you need to visit this mountain.its a shame.
its mostly jackets at bars/pubs.
these pubs have communal hooks for all the jackets/etc. about 4 hooks for everyone to share, in a dark hallway with zero lighting, in a cold section of the entrance way.
people rock up in their generic all black but somehow worth $2000 jacket, with passport, drivers license, resident card, 1 million yen, lift pass, phone and grandma's wedding ring in the pockets. and just dump it on top of all the others and waltz on in.
someone else leaves, drunk, fumbles about in the dark looking for their jacket while getting cold, and ends up thinking they found it, and leaves.

what you don't see on facebook is the reunion of lost goods.
im also sure bars like bills are sick of posting every single day of the lost property they find. which often includes things like a single shoe, pants, and underwear (of both sexes).

but i wouldn't know myself, because in 15 years living in niseko ive never lost anything. touch wood. i wear a $200 jacket out, and just put it on the bar stool and sit on it.

but I have personally seen my skis "stolen" from out front of the gondola while waiting for someone.
a <120cm tall tiny asian tourist took my 190cm long 120mm wide pow skis thinking they were her own and proceeded to try to return them to the counter next door. i stood back and watch the hilarity of her trying to carry them. she staggers back, puts them on the rack, and grabs literally the next pair of skis expecting them to be hers too. they were rentals this time but im pretty sure they werent hers either.

never underestimate the complete stupidity and brandeadedness of tourists .... and staff.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
these pubs have communal hooks for all the jackets/etc. about 4 hooks for everyone to share, in a dark hallway with zero lighting, in a cold section of the entrance way.
people rock up in their generic all black but somehow worth $2000 jacket, with passport, drivers license, resident card, 1 million yen, lift pass, phone and grandma's wedding ring in the pockets. and just dump it on top of all the others and waltz on in.
someone else leaves, drunk, fumbles about in the dark looking for their jacket while getting cold, and ends up thinking they found it, and leaves.

im also sure bars like bills are sick of posting every single day of the lost property they find. which often includes things like a single shoe, pants, and underwear (of both sexes).

but i wouldn't know myself, because in 15 years living in niseko ive never lost anything. touch wood. i wear a $200 jacket out, and just put it on the bar stool and sit on it.

but I have personally seen my skis "stolen" from out front of the gondola while waiting for someone.
a <120cm tall tiny asian tourist took my 190cm long 120mm wide pow skis thinking they were her own and proceeded to try to return them to the counter next door. i stood back and watch the hilarity of her trying to carry them. she staggers back, puts them on the rack, and grabs literally the next pair of skis expecting them to be hers too. they were rentals this time but im pretty sure they werent hers either.

never underestimate the complete stupidity and brandeadedness of tourists .... and staff.
I remember in 06 a girl getting her board stolen from under Hanks. After a nighta.
The police came and it was full on CSI of the scene.

Reactions: pedub, LMB and Any

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I remember in 06 a girl getting her board stolen from under Hanks. After a nighta.
The police came and it was full on CSI of the scene.
haha. nice.
doubt that'd happen now. they can barely get around in those little 2wd things that dont even have snow tires.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
haha. nice.
doubt that'd happen now. they can barely get around in those little 2wd things that dont even have snow tires.
That was around the time there was a canadian that was a Police liason officer.
He used to give the seasonals the heads up if there was police coming - to breath test drivers.
Plus he was a bit like a unofficial law.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
That was around the time there was a canadian that was a Police liason officer.
He used to give the seasonals the heads up if there was police coming - to breath test drivers.
Plus he was a bit like a unofficial law.
i heard rumors about such a guy. beat the shit out of people type of unofficial law enforcement :p

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Hanks
webmaster_070228_05.jpg

Fattys?
fl20070317cza.jpg

Reactions: Kelster

Eros C

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2016

Yes all of that I’m sure, but it also includes the ones that target items. My experience included leaving behind a pair of sorels with visibly cracked toe rubber with wet soaked insoles and walking off with my brand new pair. You get them everywhere. My son is embarrassed when I lock our skis up but he hasn’t paid for the equipment YET. I keep reminding him that he wouldn’t leave a $2000 road bike without locking it up in suburbia. Off to Whistler soon, however no shared lodges this time so sorels should be safe!

Reactions: LMB and Any

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
ha ha.
I hear ya.

I took all our snowboards over in August and September with the intention of being smooth sailing - suitcase or two, no waiting around for oversized in peak season blah blah...

PBs mate decides he is joining us on NY day arrival so he can get a lift up with us rather than train/coach. Cool.
“Oh yeah mate, I’m coming from Germany and I left all my snowboarding gear in Perth can you bring my snowboard bag with ya?”
FFS!

Then my friend whose son (went to school with one of mine) is working the season there comes over - his staff pillow is shit can you take his pillow from home for him?
Sure why not, already taking a snowboard bag.

My kid: hey Mum can you take my new step in bindings and boots to save me the room/weight in Feb.
Why not...

Then I get the “what about taking the highly illegal hair loss medication (friends son, mine are just resigned to male pattern baldness)”
Drew the line there - NOPE.

after all my prep I’m still playing Tetris!
And here is a photo taken of LMB's luggage at New Chitose.
254750E300000578-0-image-a-9_1422907157709.jpg

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Yes all of that I’m sure, but it also includes the ones that target items. My experience included leaving behind a pair of sorels with visibly cracked toe rubber with wet soaked insoles and walking off with my brand new pair. You get them everywhere. My son is embarrassed when I lock our skis up but he hasn’t paid for the equipment YET. I keep reminding him that he wouldn’t leave a $2000 road bike without locking it up in suburbia. Off to Whistler soon, however no shared lodges this time so sorels should be safe!
I’m also a “never lost anything” but freaked out by all the stolen jacket/phone/board posts on the staff page LOL

However I couldn’t imagine hanging even a shitty old jacket in the entry at Bills - you’re asking for it to be taken. I’m surprised that Denis hasn’t put a camera up and run a sting yet - can’t be good for his business being known as the jacket theft hub in Niseko.

Just the pink backpack is actually LMB's :D
LOL
And the rest is PBs climbing stuff...

nah ... 2 large, 2 medium cases and 1 snowboard bag. Cases were all done and dusted about 15 minutes before ski bags even started to come out.

Reactions: skimax

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015

WTF? What a shame there are people on this earth that are wired to steal from others.
I'm really shocked that it's common in Niseko. I have traveled fairly extensively to ski to quite a few countries and have been unaware that it's a common problem.
Why Niseko? Is it really because of the Aussie Bogan brigade?

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Had my wallet stolen by a waiter in Niseko few years ago
Very careful since
Wow.
That’s horrid.

Well I will say like most ski places the wages are minimal for casual staff. They are there for the skiing and partying , but
This.
Sadly it’s also a lot of staff who have been losing their gear too. Ya stealin’ from ya bro’s people!! And they’re the least able to afford to replace it, and often don’t have a spare.

Not really sure who is responsible...
I don’t think it’s holidaymakers, even if they drunkenly grab the wrong jacket they’d be likely to go back the next day to try sort it out. The odd one or two maybe.
More likely to be season staff sadly, whether it’s a drunken grab any jacket and who cares, or a deliberate acquisition of a better jacket or targeted theft for sale. The majority of people who work as season staff would be appalled, but a few bad eggs make quite the impact. Another reason why making working visas for older people easier to acquire would make a big difference, the desperation for staff would be less, and the casual staff more likely to not be on the poverty line.

Reactions: skimax

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
WTF? What a shame there are people on this earth that are wired to steal from others.
I'm really shocked that it's common in Niseko. I have traveled fairly extensively to ski to quite a few countries and have been unaware that it's a common problem.
The only other place I've seen stuff being stolen was one year at Hakuba Cortina..... It was a mate's snowboard, reported to the police, and they managed to find them 4 months later!!! The perpetrator (Japanese) was advertising them on Yahoo Japan, and he was too inept to cover his tracks, and gave them a COMPLETE list of everything he stole and then sold.

wunderbunny

Hard Yards
Dec 29, 2017
Sydney
Hello. Quick self-intro. I have been following everyone else's stories here. I'm Australian, female and travelled to Niseko every season since 2014. Will arrive on Friday next week for 90 days in Japan. I only ski inside the resort. Still learning. Never been inside Wild Bills. Lava Lounge Yeti guy was my neighbour last season. I am well aware of the theft situation in Niseko.

My first ski instructor almost had his jacket stolen. As he was getting up to leave the bar, an Australian man picked up the instructor's jacket. When confronted, the Australian said that he wanted to keep his girlfriend warm with it.

My next ski instructor told me there was a professional industry of theft. Basically, Australians get blamed for it.

A couple of years ago, the guy who waxed my skis at Rhythm told me he paid JPY 90,000 per month in rent. After paying that much rent, he did not have much left to live on. I'm definitely not suggesting Rhythm employees are thieves. I am pointing out that it is easy to exploit workers in Niseko with low wages and high rent. The impression I have is that when a young worker applies for a job, the employer also arranges their accommodation.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
The impression I have is that when a young worker applies for a job, the employer also arranges their accommodation.
That happens all over the place, and can often be a bonus as staff accomodation can be much cheaper/more convenient than privately organised accomodation.

It can also be exploitative.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I think I will try to get up to Niseko in March...
And @LMB
LOL
i think the news that March is excellent is catching on - it’s our busy month!!

Might also have something to do with the fact that I’ll be otherwise occupied 4 days a week prior to March but I think the secret is out!

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I have to confess my one time in Niseko in March I got lots of sunny days and lots of sticky snow.

I had fun, but it was far from Niseko epic!

Reactions: pedub

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I have to confess my one time in Niseko in March I got lots of sunny days and lots of sticky snow.

Can be like that.
Can also be like peak season.

Last season it was pretty poor, but riding the lift one day I cracked up laughing and said “if this were Thredbo in peak season we would be seriously frothing - hardly any people, blue skies, no wind and perfectly all white well groomed pistes”.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

I know where to get powder in central Japan, Jan/Feb without crowds ;)

Can be like that.
Can also be like peak season.

Last season it was pretty poor, but riding the lift one day I cracked up laughing and said “if this were Thredbo in peak season we would be seriously frothing - hardly any people, blue skies, no wind and perfectly all white well groomed pistes”.
:D

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Happy Days!

Contrary to my expectations today spent time lapping blueberries, rode my first box and didn’t die, realised that riding entire runs switch and not looking like a noob is gonna require a few more hours practice, and made some new friends. All in all a great day I’d say.

Little bit chilly out there...glove liners and an extra layer recommended.

Plenty of pow to be had, still a lot of sasa off piste to contend with, and it’s not yet “bottomless” - in fact quite solid when you hit the bottom.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Happy Days!

Contrary to my expectations today spent time lapping blueberries, rode my first box and didn’t die, realised that riding entire runs switch and not looking like a noob is gonna require a few more hours practice, and made some new friends. All in all a great day I’d say.

Plenty of pow to be had, still a lot of sasa off piste to contend with, and it’s not yet “bottomless” - in fact quite solid when you hit the bottom.
Very glad you’re not dead :D

Just goes to show you never stop learning in this game.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Happy Days!

we even got about 5 minutes of sunshine today. what a nice welcome party.
but it was pretty terrible conditions if you ask me, its completely tracked out, 2 hour lift queues, and bogans stealing the good snow. i think people should go elsewhere.

(wow, youtube's compression made a real mess of that one)

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
we even got about 5 minutes of sunshine today. what a nice welcome party.
but it was pretty terrible conditions if you ask me, its completely tracked out, 2 hour lift queues, and bogans stealing the good snow. i think people should go elsewhere.

(wow, youtube's compression made a real mess of that one)
Love ya work.

Yeah...terrible day...shoulda stayed at home. :whistle:

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Very glad you’re not dead :D

Just goes to show you never stop learning in this game.
LOL
well by dead I really meant squealing in pain after eating sh1t doing park stuff that 50yr olds generally don’t try for the first time, especially when they’ve got a subluxed disc...

But this season is ALL about learning new stuff, so let’s bring it on :thumbs: (And hope we don’t stack it)

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
LOL
well by dead I really meant squealing in pain after eating sh1t doing park stuff that 50yr olds generally don’t try for the first time, especially when they’ve got a subluxed disc...

But this season is ALL about learning new stuff, so let’s bring it on :thumbs: (And hope we don’t stack it)
(I can help you with skiing in March!!! ;) )

Reactions: Ozgirl

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Today’s AFR
I'm sure there's stats out there for snowfall in Hokkaido but I've been coming here for 20 years and the POW tide is running out rapidly
I'm told its later and shorter now for Niseko and I've never been here later than end of Jan for skiing at least so I can't comment
BUT
Skiing Niseko this past week I reckon I could close my eyes and be in Perisher
Massive crowds,Australian accents, exposed dirt on windblown ridges, a few stashes of untracked here and there, ice and a couple centimetres on top now and then
It never seemed to matter when I came from 1998 through the noughties there was light fluffy arctic freshies to the point of exhaustion
Disappointing because for me it's all about the snow but the kids have been happy
Onwards and hopefully upwards to Kiroro
So if those foreign investors are looking for month after month of POW they may be sorely disappointed
Who knows they may be birdwatchers and keen on meeting Hokkaido bears and foxes

Reactions: cornice11

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I'm sure there's stats out there for snowfall in Hokkaido but I've been coming here for 20 years and the POW tide is running out rapidly
I'm told its later and shorter now for Niseko and I've never been here later than end of Jan for skiing at least so I can't comment
BUT
Skiing Niseko this past week I reckon I could close my eyes and be in Perisher
Massive crowds,Australian accents, exposed dirt on windblown ridges, a few stashes of untracked here and there, ice and a couple centimetres on top now and then
It never seemed to matter when I came from 1998 through the noughties there was light fluffy arctic freshies to the point of exhaustion
Disappointing because for me it's all about the snow but the kids have been happy
Onwards and hopefully upwards to Kiroro
So if those foreign investors are looking for month after month of POW they may be sorely disappointed
Who knows they may be birdwatchers and keen on meeting Hokkaido bears and foxes
Yep.
I’ve never seen it like this.
Such a small base.
The topography is completely different without it being filled in.

I did get one surprise today, left off Shinya into Bananas, where da trees gone? Nice bit of open pow for free ride skills prac.

@Any , you took our visitor down Onsen Zawa this arvo - how’s that holding up, was some icy patches the other day!

Reactions: MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Shinya was playing hard today!!
Boys and I found some nice peaceful untracked between Stairway to Heaven and the Hana1 in the trees
There's always fun to be had
In answer to your question re the trees, undoubtedly all part of Hanas expansion into Weiss and their plans for World domination

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Yep.
I’ve never seen it like this.
Such a small base.
The topography is completely different without it being filled in.

I did get one surprise today, left off Shinya into Bananas, where da trees gone? Nice bit of open pow for free ride skills prac.

@Any , you took our visitor down Onsen Zawa this arvo - how’s that holding up, was some icy patches the other day!
left off Shinya is cleared in preparation for the new chondola.
should have seen it earlier in season, they had left all the surveyors sticks in. lots of targets to easily impale yourself with. strawberry too.
you can see the poles for night skiing already in too.

supposedly the hana1 upgrade to a 6 seater is sitting in a bunch of containers on a wharf somewhere. they hadn't filled out the import forms early enough and got caught out in the land of the rising bureaucracy.

ive seen onsen zawa worse down low with exposed holes/etc. but i haven't seen it so skinny and so moguled up high before.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Yeah, right, that was my assumption - trees out for the chondola. But it was a bit of a surprise when we ducked in there to see it so open, wasn’t expecting it. The impalers sound a bit scary @Any .

I’m glad Onsenzawa sounds like it hasn’t worsened over the past few days. It was the same when we went through. Parallel to Onsenzawa the on piste bare patches on the narrow bit of Green just above Alpen were quite ridiculous yesterday afternoon. My newly waxed board took a literal rock while navigating freaked out people on the bare patches. It’s a heavily trafficked and sun effected slope, but even so, it’s January snow gods - pls deliver us some more!

And just a shout out of recommendation from me for the Activ Physio in The Maples. Had to make an appointment after a meeting of butt and box that aggravated my preexisiting disc/back pain/sciatic referral pain issue. Saw him for a 1hr therapeutic massage, painful AF, but effective - I was straight back out the next morning for the next full day of training. He’s gone the upsell on Pilates - what the heck - I’m off to Pilates tonight after class. It’s all gotta help keep me sound right?

Reactions: MisterMxyzptlk
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass