1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Niseko Lift Passes

Discussion in 'Japan' started by PizzaWhenFrenchFry, Jan 15, 2020.

1. PizzaWhenFrenchFry

PizzaWhenFrenchFry Early Days

Hi guys,

Just got a question in regards to the Niseko United mountain pass - understand that there are only consecutive day passes for Niseko United when opting in for 8 or more days when purchasing online. If we were to purchase at a ticketing office, does the aforementioned info still apply?

As such, what would be the most cost effective way of gaining access to the mountains? We plan on snowboarding for 7-8 days with a day rest in between somewhere. What are the chances the mountain is shutdown due to unfavorable conditions? The plan is to board our first day at Moiwa and one day at Rusutsu, both of which are not included with the Niseko United Pass. Considering that there are non-consecutive passes for only 8 days and above, would the most cost effective option? Should I bite the bullet and buy the online pass?

Thanks in advance

#1 PizzaWhenFrenchFry, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  2. sourmash

sourmash One of Us

Unless you are super fit, it's unlikely you'll make use of full days passes. Just buy 4/5 hour passes in the morning (and if limited top lifts Hirafu only instead of all all mountain etc) - or load up online the night before. Spending in advance for 9 days not advised, especially as you will do day trips elsewhere.

PizzaWhenFrenchFry likes this.
  3. PizzaWhenFrenchFry

We are all quite fit and young. The longest consecutive days we've gone without rest is 10 days. Just trying to work out the most cost effective way to spend our time on the mountain.

We won't be doing the full 9 days just snowboarding, the plan is to do around 4-5 days at Niseko, Annupuri, Hanazono and Hirafu with a one day at Moiwa and possibly one day at Rusutsu.

4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

There is the option of uploading hours online to the all mountain pass - 10hrs or 50hrs. You can do 10 at a time or 3 x 10 to get 30hrs.
    Then a day off or a day elsewhere isn’t consuming hours. They do work well unless you’re a First lifts to last person. Then I’d say get a day pass or week pass.

example:
    I bought the 50hrs for my son for a 2 week trip. It was about $80 cheaper than buying the 2 week pass. However I know that in the past he’s been lucky to get through 30hrs in two weeks, so saved myself some $$, and he has an all access pass that’ll see him through his trip.

skifree and PizzaWhenFrenchFry like this.
  5. PizzaWhenFrenchFry

Thanks for the help LMB! We are the type to get up for first tracks and then board until the lifts close unfortunately - I think getting a week pass may be the option here. Unfortunately they are consecutive day use - might just cop the bullet and hope the mountain isn't closed for any of the days we are there!

It shows on the Niseko United website that 50 hours is 70,000yen compared to the 7 day pass which is a touch over 45,000yen. Are the unspent hours refundable?

6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

No.
    And for the first time it seems they aren’t technically transferable either. We used to buy 50hr passes for friends and they’d give us the hourly rate for how many hours they used. Now they’re tied to your name (no photo but they have gender and age)

The 30hr Hirafu/Hanazono passes are still open - so transferable. But you’d need a points pass or day pass for All Mountain if you did a niseko Village/annupuri trek. Friends at the moment have done that but they’re happy tootling around at Hirafu/Hanazono most of the time. Just got a 5hr pass the day we drive them over to Annupuri.

7. SnowArt

SnowArt First Runs

Hi everyone. Does anyone know at what wind speed do they close gondola's and chair lifts?

8. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

2nd thread with the same question.

Why do you need to know?

There is not a super fixed answer and as @LMB said it’s different for different chairs & wind direction.

Hyst and LMB like this.