Trip Report Niseko: more than just a resort full of Aussies...much more!

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Not biased at all.... well done, I'll just empty my vomit bag. Don't think I'd like to read the 'holds barred' version.

Fortunately, some people in WA are not simpletons!!

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Might want to run a spell checker over the article Dr Cucumber. There's a LOT.

Edit:
I've put a fair bit of thought into this article, and my response. I don't disagree with a lot of it, but I do think it's been written about A LOT before.

To introduce the article with an emphasis on it being more than just a resort full of Aussies and then not talk about the Aussie situation seems strange.

If you're refuting the Aussie Bogan in Niseko claims, there needs to be some kind of examples of personal experience. I've talked about my experiences recently with whooping and hollering Japanese skiers (not Aussies - not that I've got a problem with it, just thought it went against the stereotype), an abusive Asian woman (not Japanese) in a restaurant creating a huge scene, a brawl amongst a group of Japanese men leaving a bar that left a blood trail outside my place, Aussies giving up thier seats on a local train for local Japanese and then engaging in conversation using a mix of Japanese/English and Gesture, Aussies with cleats on thier shoes on an icy day helping a large family group of Japanese people get safely from thier iced in restaurant door to the heated street where they could walk safely....

Undoubtedly there are fabulous ski spots around the Niseko United ski area that get less attention than others. But I'm not sure I'd call them 'secret spots' - they're not hidden, just not highlighted on a piste map and maybe not the easiest to ski, therefore counting a lot of people out. 'Secret' is a claim of exclusivity that I really dislike. It's like saying I'm a member of this club that you're not invited to. That's just not the ski life way! If you're capable of skiing it - you're welcome in my world.

It was a good effort at a resort review, especially interesting for potential first time visitors, but I don't think it scratched the surface too much. I'm not trying to be mean, just giving honest feedback. The spelling thing (especially the Japanese for me) is big. It needs correcting.

Last edited:

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
The article was sold as 'no holds barred' despite being nothing more than a quasi-commercial advertorial, as the resort stock photographs attest.

Sterile and boring, my three year old daughter would write something more controversial and informative.

Belongs not in the Japans forums from my perspective....

Reactions: retsej

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Not shit canning. Just giving feedback that is totally IMHO. He can ignore if he chooses. Running an edit/spell check over the article would lift it a lot.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Sounds like they had a good time which is great for them. Otherwise the writing style was a bit over the top and spelling/structure pretty horrendous. I suppose a good introduction article though for a first timer, it is exciting that first time!

Reactions: Dr_Cucumber

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
"Speaking a little Japanese goes along way, even its just a few phrases: sumi mar sen ('su-me mar sen') (excuse me) and arrigato kazimus ('aree-garto kaz-eyemuuss') (thank you very much)."

Dude is basically fluent ROFL

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Been not an Ausi nor native English speaker I find it quite ok article for those want to know a little about Niseko.
Shurely people will find more then one source the make a judgement.
As MG says maybe the wrong forum?

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
Those precious page hits...

And 'link juice'.

TBH it's okay if you like that writing style which is 'traveltorial' in style. People will find it useful, esp.JP newbies, but that mode of writing is a bit grating to me. I'm more into 'real' reports like @Crispy013 's recent effort (and others like Telemark Phat & Heinz) or travel writers like Bill Bryson who provide a sort of quirky essence to their tales.

And note: If you're going to use phrases like "quintessentially sublime" you can also use a spell checker. ;)

Dr_Cucumber

Hard Yards
Jun 28, 2008
Perth WA
snowriderswa.com
Thanks for the feedback guys...I think. Not being a professional writer, I'm sorry the writing style / structure offended. I guess that's the thing about style...it's not for everyone. The words are mine as are the spelling errors; the images a combination of the resorts and mine.

The article was very much based on our experiences (two visits to the resort) and is very much an honest account despite having official access to resort images. The Aussies were in our experience totally fine. No issues. I actually do have some observations of good/ helpful behaviour from Aussies. I may add that in Lady Mammabear. Thanks for reading and thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass