1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

No future - Strategic Management Plan 2011-2016

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by FastFarmer, Sep 23, 2013.

1. FastFarmer

FastFarmer Hard Yards

If you're looking for a document that sums up how directionless and confused Baw Baw is, check out the management plan and see if you can explain to me -
    1. What is the image and message that Baw Baw want skiers to have?
    2. What is the direction being set by management for Baw Baw as a ski resort, both in the short term?
    3. What is identified as the specific problem why people are not going to Baw Baw in greater numbers YoY to SKI?
    4. What are the strategic actions being put in place to address (3)?

The strategic management plan published by the Baw Baw board is little more than a corporate governance document and demonstrates a complete lack of business acumen.

A news flash for the board and CEO: A position of neutral may seem safe, and it may be safe to try and balance the views of all stakeholders as having equal say, but hello, you're a ski resort! That means your key stakeholders are skiers... Yes, your management duties are actually to skiers, not Baw Baw Frogs!!!

2. Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar Early Days

A disused toolshed of respectable proportions"
    Well the one time I visited Baw Baw this season, the resort theme seemed to be... uncertainty.

* We were uncertain if there would be skiable snow, as while there were cold temps, there were only modest natural snowfalls and we had no idea if the RMB would fork out to turn the snow guns on.

* On another proposed visit there was reasonable snow on the runs, but we were uncertain if they would run the lifts or not due to the constant umming and ahhing from the RMB on the issue.

* The time we did visit, we were uncertain if the shop would be open, so we lugged up bread and milk and food, just in case it wasn't. No wonder sales are modest if people have no idea if the shop will open.

I appreciate that the RMB has to keep a tight reign on spending, BUT this extreme form of penny pinching generates... uncertainty. Could I suggest that it's more important to address the issues above (and similar things) rather than spend the limited budget on stuff like sealing the remaining unpaved side streets?

What Baw Baw needs is some sort of guarantee to generate confidence amongst prospective punters. I would go more often if I could be certain that the lifts would run if there was skiable snow, if I could be certain that they would fire up the snow guns if conditions were suitable, if I could be certain that the shop would be open, etc, etc.

#2 Sredni Vashtar, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  3. FastFarmer

FastFarmer Hard Yards

Your uncertainty is yet another example of no leadership or direction from the Baw Baw Management Board and/or Stuart Ord.

As you suggest, without certainty who wants to bother travelling to Baw Baw, and without certainty who wants to work at Baw Baw?

Uncertainty is the first sign of death in any business. What I don't get is why management since 1986 have totally refuse to listen to what those with the money (there customers - the skiers) are wanting. If they did, then there would be NO uncertainty!!

As a local who wants to see Gippsland prosper, the uncertainty of the Baw Baw Ski Resort is very sad.

#3 FastFarmer, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  4. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Well said
    It is a simple equation when broken down and viewed by the only person that matters - the customer
    It is and always will be about snow cover
    The people who are going to spend money at this enterprise will spend totally upon snow quality / cover
    ALL development money must be spent on snowmaking everything else is just rubbish
    A base line certainty must be established so people will commit
    This is what buller has worked hard to establish over the last 10 years or so
    We can be certain they will as a minimum provide wombat / summit / shakey knees / Bourke st etc for the main part of the season proper
    Quote : let's book worst case there will be enough for the kids to have fun
    Baw baw must provide the same base line security to customers this will only ever happen through snowmaking end and beginning of story
    Sealing of roads, footpath work. Beautification works and any other such things are and have been, will be another not small step towards the resort itself driving another death nail into its own coffin
    Each one of these golden dollars would have been lost to the only thing that matters for a ski resort
    Snow cover

5. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Snow cover depends on the one thing we have little control of, it's called 'the weather'. Yes, in hindsight it is very easy to say that the resort should only focus on providing base line snow coverage, but funding in the past (for additional snowguns to meet said coverage) has either been insufficient or misdirected, spent on other things. It is something that should have been on the radar a decade ago and systematically addressed by the board.

6. Hunter

It is and was a no brainer.
    Reading the strategic plan it seems it has still not sunk in, what a crock.
    The resort strategic plan can be summed up in one line of plain speak.
    Direct all possible funds to summer grooming / snowmaking and all other ways to improve the provision and retention of snow cover.
    All the rest of the rubbish in that plan is irrelevant without better and more reliable snow cover.
    If the resort cant see that and then implement that plan the resort is dead

#6 Hunter, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  7. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

So basically Mt Baw Baw should close and be dismantled and sold off and the area returned to National Park with an access road (required for fire and maintenance access anyhow) and a car park and that's it. Maybe a toilet.

Sounds fair to me.

8. Hunter

Exactly that would have happened years ago if not for the resort being funded by the tax payer, it is unviable on its own.
    If we are going to keep proping it up me as a shareholder insists it is done right to give it a fighting chance.

9. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

With luck, the state government will open the management of Baw Baw to tender before xmas. The one year experiment with Belgravia running LM was very successful from everyone's point of view.

10. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

BB will always need to be subsidised by the government, and so it should be. It is a state asset for the benefit of the taxpayer, but unfortuneately, the government has never had the foresight or brains to see the full potential of the resort and pump the necessary funds into it, nor has the resort spent those funds wisely in some cases. Buts lets face it, governments of all persuasions are very good at letting public assets fall into rack and ruin and then try and play catchup (it never works), the public road and rail system is a typical example. I am unsure about the success or otherwise of Belgravia at LM, the annual report for this year should clarify this, but this year will be a glitch for all resorts. I am not confident that they will be good for BB unless they can make significant cost savings and entice the government to spend big, both of which are unlikely, plus having the same board (and ideas) merely fosters the same problems as we have all discussed. When I want to weed the garden, I don't just cut them off at the base, I pull the whole bloody thing out, roots and all, then I can start afresh!

11. Hunter

You would find the vast majority of the public laugh out loud at this suggestion

#11 Hunter, Oct 6, 2013
  12. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Yes, I would have to agree. When BB was setup all those years ago it would have catered for working class families and would have been quite suitable for the numbers it attracted back then.Unfortuneately,nothing remains the same,and as numbers and expectations have increased,little effort has been done to plan adequately for the future,and as budgets become tight and regulations even tighter,don't expect any miracles.

13. FastFarmer

FastFarmer Hard Yards

Unless the tender is an open lease allowing a developer to do whatever they wanted with the environment, a tender wont help and only a fool would invest...

This is because despite my direct attack on the Baw Baw Board, unfortunately the biggest problem with Mt Baw Baw is the mountain itself. It provides few decent and long slopes for skiing to attract most skiers. The only way I can see to fix it is to move some serious dirt and lots of trees expanding the ski area below Village Central or out towards Pudding Basin. I would even suggest removing Big Hill.

I'm not sure about the snow guns and a guaranteed level of snow. I think if you had the right terrain being so close to Melbourne for a day trip that if there was snow then people would come.

But I am sure if you were allowed to move some serious dirt and put a large illuminated dinosaur on the summit, Clive Palmer would invest... [​IMG]

#13 FastFarmer, Oct 7, 2013
  14. Hunter

Last time they put it out to tender no one would touch it
    Has become more or less viable since ?
    Less I would say
    Therefore I would suggest finding someone to take it on is unlikely not without a big leg up from govt one would think