1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Nordic in Nozawa Onsen/Hakuba

Discussion in 'Japan' started by skinik, Jan 10, 2019.

1. skinik

skinik Hard Yards

Apologies/Sumimasen for possibly a stupid gaijin question... I've read through other threads related to nordic in Japan and may have missed an answer...
    Week long return trip coming up to Nozawa Onsen, mostly alpine skiing, but a recent new found interest in Nordic (classic technique) skiing (via the Perisher x-country 1,5,10k loops) has me wanting to try the 5K nordic course at Nozawa - on the town maps over near the jump hill.
    I need to hire nordic skis, (classic) boots and poles as I'm taking my own alpine gear, and can't carry nordic gear as well on the flights. Does anyone know where nordic rental is in Nozawa? And if there's any special etiquette attached to use of the marked nordic trail courses there? (A donation box etc?). Is there a ski school offering nordic lessons - possibly skate technique as well?
    We're also visiting Hakuba - staying in Happo - but as far as I've read marked trail nordic is not a 'thing' over there? But would love to know if there's a secret trail to go and practice on! Arigato gozamasu/thank you very much - in advance.

blowfin likes this.
  2. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

3. skinik

skinik Hard Yards

Thank you :)

Untele-whippet likes this.
  4. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

quick reply, great tracks at snow harp hakuba (olympic site) bit of a walk from nearby station or taxi if you don't have a car. also track at bottom of iwatake too i think. I am pretty sure snow harp had hire gear. not sure about nozawa. xc track gear is so lite u may as well take your own. we always do, one big ski bag 2-4 pairs of telemark 2-4 pairs of xc skate. have fun. most tracks have a nominal fee (500yen) some expect you to wear a vest. xc track in japan its pretty laid back & grass rootsish, (bit like here ) unless there is a comp on. photo at snow harp.

skinik and blowfin like this.
  5. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

@bluestick has got it. Out of our area. We do rent both classic and skate nordic skis with a full range of boot sizes here in Furano but not worth sending via "Takyubin" I think.

skinik likes this.
  6. Rush

Rush Pool Room

Pretty sure I saw some Nordic gear at St Anton rental today at Nozawa, check out their website

skinik likes this.
  7. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You can hire xc gear at snow harp in Hakuba. Great course, super view, a variety of terrain. Enjoy.

skinik likes this.
  8. skinik

skinik Hard Yards

Thank you so much Domo Arigato gozaimasu @crisscross @Rush @bluestick @telenomore @Untele-whippet Hugely helpful. Ichi-ban desu ne That's helped me put together a great adventure in both Nozawa and Hakuba. Maybe I'll be brave enough to post a trip report...

Untele-whippet likes this.