Question Norfolk Island - How & What?

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Anyone ever been to the Island itself? Looking to go with a few mates mainly for the surf.
It's my understanding it loves an traditional Aussie winter where you get those Southern Ocean pulses running up the Tasman.

I've heard the fishing is pretty special also. Any intel is appreciated.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
We went for a week about 5 years ago.
Probably 4 days too long.
V quaint, duty free alcohol and Scottish wool knit shops.
The locals were very anti Australian, even though we are the source of their tourism industry and the Federal Govt has been bailing them out of bankruptcy.
The arse fell out of their economy when the Kentia Palm export trade totally stopped in the GFC
The favourite local sport is apparently spousal bed swapping.
The coast has very few beaches and is mostly cliffs.
The reef at the main beach where the old penal settlement is could be good for surfing.
Fishing is sposed to be good but the local boat operators were all closed when we were there! Go figure!
The roads are one continuous pothole.
Well worth a short visit.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
All my Lego came from Norfolk Island.

The old man used to stop there on every Ferry flight from Australia to NZ

As for surf...one of my photog mates shot there....I just can't remember which one

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
We went for a week about 5 years ago.
Probably 4 days too long.
V quaint, duty free alcohol and Scottish wool knit shops.
The locals were very anti Australian, even though we are the source of their tourism industry and the Federal Govt has been bailing them out of bankruptcy.
The arse fell out of their economy when the Kentia Palm export trade totally stopped in the GFC
The favourite local sport is apparently spousal bed swapping.
The coast has very few beaches and is mostly cliffs.
The reef at the main beach where the old penal settlement is could be good for surfing.
Fishing is sposed to be good but the local boat operators were all closed when we were there! Go figure!
The roads are one continuous pothole.
Well worth a short visit.
Wow, sounds like you'd never go back haha. Thanks for your input and info, though.

As for surf...one of my photog mates shot there....I just can't remember which one
Matt Fieldes? Zach Sanders?

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Wow, sounds like you'd never go back haha. Thanks for your input and info, though.

Matt Fieldes? Zach Sanders?
No was either Conti or Mick McCormack..
I forget who did Lord Howe and who did Norfolk
was early 90's - Tracks I think

Reactions: POW Hungry

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I used to work at Coles packing shelves with some Islanders.
Major speed freaks.
Sure could fill a shelf quick, and were bright-eyes and bushy tailed at 0500 start time!

Reactions: piolet

bullet

One of Us
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
Anyone ever been to the Island itself? Looking to go with a few mates mainly for the surf.
It's my understanding it loves an traditional Aussie winter where you get those Southern Ocean pulses running up the Tasman.

I've heard the fishing is pretty special also. Any intel is appreciated.
The wife and i lived on Norfolk for a year.
Yes the surf at Kingston can be particularly good, it cops the full southerly swell.
Hope your not put off by sharks, its absolutely full of them. Mostly Atlantic whalers.

As mentioned good duty free alcohol, theres already no duty on the island and with an outgoing airline ticket you get an extra 30% off.
You don't go there for the party scene.
Anson Bay is a beach well worth a visit, 95% chance of having it to yourself.
Emily bay (the main beach in the lagoon) midweek you can get to yourself too.
The fishing is seriously amazing. Kingfish 40kg+.....if you can stop them. Red throat emperor by the 100's.
If you want to get out for a fish over there PM me, ill tell you who to go see.
Any questions please ask.
Word of warning, a lot of the accommodation is very outdated and in need of repair, but there are also some great ones.
Emily Bay
emily bay - beach.jpg

Red Throat(called trumpeter on the island)

fish-box-norfolk.jpg
Kingston surf
kingston-surf-norfolk.jpg
Ansen Bay
ansen-bay-norfolk.jpg
Crystal pool
crystal-pool-norfolk.jpg

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Yes the surf at Kingston can be particularly good, it cops the full southerly swell.
Hope your not put off by sharks, its absolutely full of them. Mostly Atlantic whalers.

As mentioned good duty free alcohol, theres already no duty on the island and with an outgoing airline ticket you get an extra 30% off.
The fishing is seriously amazing. Kingfish 40kg+.....if you can stop them. Red throat emperor by the 100's.
Word of warning, a lot of the accommodation is very outdated and in need of repair, but there are also some great ones.
Emily Bay
emily bay - beach.jpg

fish-box-norfolk.jpg
Kingston surf
Ansen Bay
ansen-bay-norfolk.jpg
Crystal pool
crystal-pool-norfolk.jpg
Wow
What led to that, if you don’t mind me asking?

I went there as a kid, the old man designed an upgrade to a hotel and did a contra for it.

I worked with a woman who mostly worked from Norfolk. Much more Remote than the usual ‘working remote from home’. I think she’s still there.

bullet

One of Us
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
Wow
What led to that, if you don’t mind me asking?

I went there as a kid, the old man designed an upgrade to a hotel and did a contra for it.

I worked with a woman who mostly worked from Norfolk. Much more Remote than the usual ‘working remote from home’. I think she’s still there.
Im self employed in the building industry, i had jack of employees whinging and letting me down so i sacked them all and went over there for a while.We also know some friends there.
Ended up getting paid to go fishing.
Bet the remote work is hard, the internet there is very slow and expensive.

Reactions: climberman

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney

Emily Bay
emily bay - beach.jpg

fish-box-norfolk.jpg
Kingston surf
Ansen Bay
ansen-bay-norfolk.jpg
Crystal pool
crystal-pool-norfolk.jpg
Great intel, thank you for taking the time. Will PM you sometime.
Sharks? Not put off by them to surf. I take the risk daily in Aus waters. I know of them well - the risks that is.

bullet

One of Us
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
Great intel, thank you for taking the time. Will PM you sometime.
Sharks? Not put off by them to surf. I take the risk daily in Aus waters. I know of them well - the risks that is.
They're very well fed, they're not a threat.
I went spear fishing over there at Phillip island the one you can see in one of those photos. That was scary.

cruisin along

Free at last
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2007
CC Terrigal area
My old boss lived there for 3 years and loved it. Golf / surfing / fishing / diving / drinking and bonking ....but not much else. After the first year he had pretty much done all available interests but his contract was 3 years so he stuck it out. Was going to apply for a job there myself but they changed the tax free salary so said no plus it is remote in the sense of no other friends or family there....limited flight options and boring as hell going to the same places all the time
However it is a simply stunning place to visit if the photos are anything to go by.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass