Jun 7, 2010
The edge of the bell curve
https://snowbrains.com/category/weather/

Screen-Shot-2018-08-25-at-12.54.47-PM.png

Reactions: POW Hungry

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
First season in 6 that I won't be heading to North America. Always interested in seeing the change of seasons and checking the snow reports.
I am heading to Austria/Italy and they got there first snowfall of the new season about a day ago. 30 to 40cm in places. It will all melt quickly of course but hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Reactions: Wardy

Wardy

One of Us
Jun 7, 2010
Reactions: Jellybeans
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
holy fcuk.
all eyes are on Florence 955 and gusting to 105 kt
pales in comparison to Mangkhut
central pressure 900 mb
gusting to 190kts :eek:
going to be some real damage from this as it tracks westwards.
wp2618.gif

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
https://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com/2018/09/another-september-winter-2018-19.html

Another update to my ongoing build up to the seasonal outlook for North America. Just looking at the data together, I don't want to make any definitive forecasts, but it looks like a good start for the West Coast, and perhaps a more neutral or East Coast pattern in the later stages of winter.

To add to that, Banff is getting ready for winter on top of the fall a few days ago, with a nice foot or so.

IMG_5262.PNG

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Latest GFS Arctic 10mb view progs a rapid strengthening of the Polar Vortex over Northern Canada & Alaska.
IMO October is gearing up rather quick for North America.

Today:
gfs_Tz10_nhem_1.png

Next Weekend:
gfs_Tz10_nhem_18.png

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Heading to Colorado in the second half of Jan so hoping for a better start to that end of the Rockies than last year...
Ditto, except I’ve pushed it back to late Feb this year.

Bogan Daddy

Hard Yards
May 26, 2018
Yep, spoke with the family in Banff and Calgary got hammered. Less at Louise, Banff and Sunshine though. It's a bit late this year compared to the last 2. In Whistler 2nd week of Jan. Worried about rain. Been at Banff and Big White and its only POW there. Thoughts?

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Yep, spoke with the family in Banff and Calgary got hammered. Less at Louise, Banff and Sunshine though. It's a bit late this year compared to the last 2. In Whistler 2nd week of Jan. Worried about rain. Been at Banff and Big White and its only POW there. Thoughts?
I have skied in rain at Big White in January by the way! It can happen.

Whistler's vertical makes it very different to Banff and Big White (as well as the maritime climate obviously). You should expect rain at village and lower levels (doesn't mean it is guaranteed, but it's very common). That means it'll snow in the alpine. To say that the terrain up there is different from Big White is a colossal understatement!

Wardy

One of Us
Jun 7, 2010
I have skied in rain at Big White in January by the way! It can happen.

Whistler's vertical makes it very different to Banff and Big White (as well as the maritime climate obviously). You should expect rain at village and lower levels (doesn't mean it is guaranteed, but it's very common). That means it'll snow in the alpine. To say that the terrain up there is different from Big White is a colossal understatement!
No way to predict it this far out so just go and have fun. Alpine usually a safe bet as discussed. New Blackcomb gondola means less chance of getting wet at the bottom...

Bogan Daddy

Hard Yards
May 26, 2018
Figured. Said it was like Thredbo with 4 different snow's coming down and rain at the bottom. Pity about the gondola we are on the other side. Wife does not like getting wet......

Should be worth it for the experience, though suspect the kids will leave the parents for dead. Will keep people posted on Banff as my sister in law has lived there for 30 years.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
Micheal could get a bit nasty.
It did. And not just along the coast. Georgia is a mess.

92 out of 100 counties in the state of North Carolina where I live have flash flood warnings for tomorrow. Could get over 5 inches of rain in the next day in central NC. NC State Fair was supposed to open in Raleigh but will delay a day. That's a big deal financially. Most counties in central NC have cancelled school due to the threat of high winds, rain, and tornadoes. Univ. of Wilmington on the coast just re-opened for classes on Oct. 8 after severe flooding and damage from Hurricane Florence. Students had to evacuate on Sept. 10, a few days before the storm made landfall right over campus. Had to cancelled classes again for the end of this week.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
It did. And not just along the coast. Georgia is a mess.

92 out of 100 counties in the state of North Carolina where I live have flash flood warnings for tomorrow. Could get over 5 inches of rain in the next day in central NC. NC State Fair was supposed to open in Raleigh but will delay a day. That's a big deal financially. Most counties in central NC have cancelled school due to the threat of high winds, rain, and tornadoes. Univ. of Wilmington on the coast just re-opened for classes on Oct. 8 after severe flooding and damage from Hurricane Florence. Students had to evacuate on Sept. 10, a few days before the storm made landfall right over campus. Had to cancelled classes again for the end of this week.
A lot of folks who evacuated still dont know how their houses were affected.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass