1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Northern Hemisphere Ski holiday with a baby

Discussion in 'Passport' started by FatBoyDave, Jan 4, 2019.

1. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We are due any day now, so the trip North is not on for us this (Northern) winter.
    However, it means I will have a fair bit of leave banked and my partner is on paid leave for the next 12 months with the option to extend.

This puts us in a great position to plan for next years trip.
    We have done Japan and some Canadian resorts but... never with a baby.

We will have 8-10 weeks and subject to funding and practicality either looking at doing the Powder highway (self drive) or something similar in the States where we can try a few resorts.

At this stage it looks like it will be the 3 of us for the bulk of the time with the possibility of friends and my other daughter meeting up with us for part of the trip.

Has anyone done this sort of thing with a 1 year old (or am I being totally unrealistic)?
    I have a 13 year old so have some recollection of parenting but you tend to forget/romaticise the hard parts.

2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Can't you put it off for a couple of years? (the trip that is, not the baby)

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I'll be taking a 9 month old to Europe in February.

Ask me more in April!!

LMB, Born2ski, piolet and 1 other person like this.
  4. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I've got a nearly 2yo and six week old.

wouldn't even give the slightest consideration to what you are thinking about. Fark me, it would be hard yakka for us right now but that's with two of them.

That said, going with one kid while they are younger could work out ok, just have to ask who would look after the child? going on a ski holiday to ski by yourself (while someone is back in the lodge) and/or tag team doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

5. FatBoyDave

From what I can gather from Google, childcare for <18 months can be problematic, i.e. not the standard offering of a lot of Canadian resorts.

6. Undies

Undies Self-absorbed prat Ski Pass: Gold

Do the Club Med resorts cater to baby-sitting for kids that age?

Otherwise, I'd be thinking solo trips with one of you staying back in Aus each time for the first few years, until they can wipe their own bums, then consider a family trip.

piolet and Apresski like this.
  7. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Saw a guy boarding in Japan with a kid in a sling. Not something I’d do but might be an option for some?

8. Seth

Great way to comeback home with one less family member.

Piste Again, qwill and CarveMan like this.
  9. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

@Born2ski has travelled with kids for many years, I believe. Maybe he has more insight.
    I gather Club Med offer nursery care for babies.

BABY CLUB
    From 4 months, your kids are welcome at Baby Club Med, where they’ll be surrounded with tender loving care and showered with attention by their G.Os. The children are cared for in two groups, walkers and non-walkers, so that each child can take things at their own pace.

Surrounded by the beautiful mountain scenery, they take part in a range of activities to develop their manual, musical and motor skills, as well as enjoying naps and educational games. Everything is designed to ensure little ones are happy and learning.

https://www.clubmed.com.au/l/snow-holiday-package/ski-family

10. FatBoyDave

Seems to be reasonably common in Japan. Saw it a few times.

11. piolet

piolet Found anything yet? Ski Pass: Gold

I just can't get how the risk:reward adds up for that

LMB, Undies, Seth and 1 other person like this.
  12. FatBoyDave

In a word, "no." Life is too short, and we won't be in this situation (ability to access this much leave) again for quite some time.

dawooduck likes this.
  13. piolet

My view, having done a few now, is it's fine but the value gained from the skiing is questionably low.
    Lack of sleep, sick for the 5th time (each of you) and skiing together? Maybe some.

And be prepared for a chickenpox outbreak the day before leaving for home (can't fly for over a week!). That happened for us with our 6mo (iirc??). Rather stressful and the pox is bad for them at that age

FatBoyDave likes this.
  14. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Don’t condone the baby thing, my point was that it’s allowed there, prohibited here. I guess if you have plenty of confidence in your ability and are on piste, it’s no more risky than a baby seat on a bike? I wouldn’t do the bike thing either BTW.

15. piolet

To add to this; the living spaces you typically end up with are a problem. Space for a long trip is a big deal imo

FatBoyDave likes this.
  16. FatBoyDave

A little bit more protection on a bike baby seat, (the baby bike seats are moulded and offer some side and head protection and babies are legislated to have to wear a helmet).
    I don't think i would be doing the ski with a baby thing. I just find it interesting the different risks that other societies consider acceptable. I would be really surprised if the lift companies here even allowed it.

17. piolet

Aside from the risk of a random stack, what you typically control on a bike can make it more suitable imo. I did it only on quiet bike paths, no roads/cars etc. I also purchased a seat that provided good protection if we happened to come off. It gave us years of fun together times over the two kids.
    Id consider snowboarding with a sling vastly higher risk.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  18. FatBoyDave

Most useful/practical advice I have read online so far was:
    - Get accommodation that is central
    - Mix up the skiing with 1 adult going out for a few hours and then swapping over and then a nanny/childcare for ½ day and so you can both get some time skiing together
    - Go with another family to share the load, (ideally another family with kids that need looking after I presume).

nezumi, LMB, Born2ski and 1 other person like this.
  19. piolet

On the safety note, the kids are up in the Alps right now (slightly bigger now, I hope to join them after the weekend) the 3yo is insisting on wearing his new helmet on the morning baguette run across the street. Can't be too careful!

LMB and FatBoyDave like this.
  20. piolet

I wouldn't disagree with that, particularly point 1 as the non ski part of the trip becomes more important

FatBoyDave likes this.
  21. FatBoyDave

I would consider the risk of being collided into much higher on skis/board than on a bike on a bike path, (although this may be risk perception).

qwill likes this.
  22. Seth

'Sif anyone is going on holiday to look after anyone else's kids.

piolet likes this.
  23. FatBoyDave

I think the gist of it was to go with another family with kids who also need babysitting.
    Although if you go with a decent sized group and there is generally someone* who wants an afternoon/day off skiing.
    *Someone that is responsible and you would leave your child with.

The flip side to that is if you asked me to come on a ski holiday with you and your baby I would probably pass but.. some ski trips are boys trips where you smash out every last hour on the snow and then hit the bar.... and some are family trips where you accept before you go that any time on snow will be a bonus and skiing with your partner doesn't mean you can hit every cliff and couloir on the map.

dawooduck likes this.
  24. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

It's not such a big deal, just takes planning and patience and a whole lot of sharing. The infants needs rule so just run with that.

One skis while the other sits, swap about, get a sitter some days, ski resort creche etc. I reckon a powder highway trip would be quite doable.

We did NZ 4 week trip with the first at 6 months, one week of that was just me and the boy, UK for 4 weeks with 2 & 4, a week at the Man the same year.

I would never ski with a child in a sling or pack.

FatBoyDave and Born2ski like this.
  25. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Try 10 kids under 10 and 4 adults in a two bed and loft apartment in Argentierre. Works a treat, lots of skiing with different skill levels going with different parents, take the young ones to town for the day, awesome holiday and very price affective.

26. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

It's all doable but does require extra planning. We've been skiing overseas every year with our two kids since they were babies (girl was 9 months, boy was 6 months on their first trips). We've taken them to Japan, North America and Europe while they were babies and toddlers, even spent two months in Lake Tahoe when the boy was 6 months old and my wife was on maternity leave.

Some tips.
    - Plan, plan, plan. It will make it a lot easier. Little details can make a big difference when travelling with little ones.
    - Tag team skiing to share the baby sitting duties.
    - Childcare or nanny service so you and your partner can spend some time together
    - Basing yourself in one location is easier than moving around every few days. Babies like routine. That's why we spent two months in Lake Tahoe. We could stay in one place but still have lots of resorts to ski.

piolet and FatBoyDave like this.
  27. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

@billykate will have some tips for you after juggling toddler and baby in a few week in Japan.

Yeah, way too risky.
    The movement isn’t great for kids without a heap of neck support, or if they fall asleep and are being flung around. Also the cold - you’re moving they’re not. And that’s before falls and collisions.
    Snowballs, snowmen, brief trips outside - that’s enough.

28. Born2ski

Two months in Lake Tahoe in 2010. Boy was 6 months(at the start), girl was 3yrs old.

[​IMG]

We had a ski in/ski out place with a private hot tub and our own snow play area just outside. And it cost us under $80 a night (back when the dollar was near parity).

South Lake Tahoe had a hospital, doctors, pharmacies and supermarkets all near by to make life easier. Affordable season passes for nearby resorts and nanny services that could come to your accommodation. A lot of planning, but also a lot of happy memories that we still talk about today.

FatBoyDave and dawooduck like this.
  29. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Do it. ^^

We have been travelling long haul with our kids since they were only a few months old and done a ski holiday each year. Childcare is a problem for young ones although we always managed and then there is the option of a nanny easy to pick up at any resort. pay them well and make sure you let them know it is for an extended time and most will take some days off of their normal jobs to cover you. We've had to do the .....ski a few runs and duck back often as they were still feeding so central ski in/out accom is a must. Take your own car seat if renting a car or make sure transfer companies can accommodate you with one if you book them.

Totally doable, be relaxed, and ready for anything. We have some of our best memories skiing with the bubs.

dawooduck and FatBoyDave like this.
  30. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Addicted

We travelled lot when our kids were young, only downside is that they curse us when we tell them about the trips they did. We have done Fiji with a 2yo and 4month old for a week, US for 4 weeks with a 10month old and 3 yo (inc 2 weeks at Jackson Hole skiing), and a summer euro trip 5 weeks with a 6month old.
    At Kackson Hole we contacted a local babysitting service, said we will need someone for 10-12 days over the 2 weeks. We the just organized with her when she would come. We ended up alternately the 3yo days at ski school and she would stay with the baby sitter at no extra cost. My 10month old was still being breast fed so I would duck in at lunch time and give him a feed. A good size relatively central accommodation suited us well for this- staying in Teton Village. No major food issues anywhere we have travelled, no issues g tying baby products. Do it!

31. pykie87

pykie87 First Runs

I literally just got back from St Anton for 2 weeks with a 9 month old.

We spent 3 weeks traveling before it, a week or so after it.

You can do it, but just expect to travel a bit differently than you used to. The flights are challenging, but it's a day of hardship for a big reward.

FWIW, my wife was also still on paid maternity leave.

As for the skiing part, if your partner is into skiing (which my wife is), pay for a nanny, it's not cheap, especially at ski resorts, but you ski together, share the memories and it's unfair on each other continually coming in swapping over. The baby has fun with the nanny, ours loved it.

We did a fair bit of research on them and settled on one company. Our nanny was awesome. They cost about 20€ an hour.

We charged for the entire 2 weeks, had to be back by about 5pm each day, we paid for the nanny to stay back a few nights so we could go out for dinner together, so we generally missed the Ypres bars for the most part, but we skiied and got as much skiing done as we would of if we had no kids.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  32. FatBoyDave

Next question...
    Fly direct (and just suck it up) or do you break the long haul up into chunks?
    And..... what do you bring with you?
    - Stroller/travel pram
    - Travel cot
    - What do you do for car seats, etc....

33. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Fly direct, just get it done. Stopover would have just prolonged the jetlag etc and an extra airport exit/entry.

We brought a travel pram, that folds up to just larger than carry-on size. On the way over we took it on the plane with us, on the way back we checked it at the gate in Milan, in Abu Dhabi there are free strollers everywhere, but in Melbourne we had to carry her off the plane to the baggage carousel. Would have been a mega PITA if it didn't arrive.

We took a travel cot but hardly needed it, could have done without it I reckon.

Rented a car seat, was another 80e on top of the rental.

The thing with kids is that they are everywhere, and therefore stuff for kids is everywhere.

nezumi, Apresski and FatBoyDave like this.
  34. Born2ski

We normally split up our flights. It's more cost effective and allows you to stretch your legs, use a normal toilet and buy anything you need at the airport.

1. Simple umbrella stroller. Compact, light and you won't cry if it gets damaged.
    2. We used a KinderKot. It's a compact little tent, Google it and you'll see what I mean. But make sure your child gets use to sleeping in it before you go away.
    3. We normally took ours with us. Something familiar for the child, but it is a pain lugging them around.

35. silva

silva One of Us

A pram that can fold down and fit in your carry on is a good idea. The GB Pockit range will literally fold down and fit in your backpack or under the seat in front of you (folded dimensions are 30cm x35cm x 18cm) but there are other brands and options.
    [​IMG]

We used the Phil and Teds travel cot. Ours was this one with a mix of mesh and solid sides and a roof:
    [​IMG]
    Latest model
    [​IMG]

but the new version is all mesh - not sure of the durability of that. They come up on gumtree regularly for around $50 to $100. I liked travelling with this cot as it fitted easily in my suitcase (only weighs 3kg) so was not an extra thing to carry. It is also smaller than carry on size - I have seen people carry them on then use them as a playpen/sleep zone for airport layovers.

Travelling with a 1 year old just takes a bit of planning. I was fortunate - son was a great traveller and we never had any problem on planes so we would just suck it up - get the travelling over and done with.

CarveMan likes this.
  36. silva

silva One of Us

Oh - we also did have a KinderKot
    [​IMG]
    We used it a few times and it was good but by the time our son was about 9 months he was able to sort of crawl around with it - when zipped into it he would roll it around, partially pull it down on top of him and could move it around the room while inside it - imagine a semi collapsed hamster wheel. While funny to watch and he thought it was great fun it was not very sleep inducing. The KinderKot had more structure and he could not push it around.

37. FatBoyDave

Thanks for the detailed response. We already have the Phil and Teds travel cot.
    My sister raves about the Babyzen Yoyo. They bought 1 new and 1 second hand and have taken them everywhere.
    https://www.babybunting.com.au/babyzen-yoyo-pram.html
    I'm mentally struggling with yet another pram stroller (this would make the third one already).. and the price actually, mainly the price.. :eek: but I can see the practicality as a stroller. Although I think the last stroller I bought was $30 from Kmart...
    If I see one second hand that's not too beat up I might grab one.

38. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Have you thought of buying a cheap stroller when you get to the US.
    Target for example
    https://www.target.com/c/lightweight-strollers-baby/-/N-5xtk2

39. silva

silva One of Us

The babyzen yoyo is great but is over twice the price and 150% the folded size of the GB Pockit.
    Prams seem to breed once you have a baby.
    Apresski's suggestion to buy one if you need one is good.
    Depending on where you go a hiking backpack can be worthwhile as well. It depends where you wish to use the pram. Pram+snowy footpaths is not a great idea. With a baby there is really no such thing as travelling light - hence all the extra luggage allowance you get travelling with an infant.

CarveMan and FatBoyDave like this.
  40. FatBoyDave

CarveMan likes this.
  41. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We did not travel with a stroller or pram..... just another piece of stuff to lug. Use a backpack for child if possible. Phil and Teds cot was sensational. Flying direct or stopping would depend on how long the legs are ect. babies are very resilient, it's the parents that are not :) Most transfer companies or rental places will offer a car seat but you'll have to ask for it well before hand :)

42. nezumi

nezumi Addicted

We went to Japan just before our son turned 2 (so he was free as a lap infant). We decided not to bother with a pram/stroller and instead picked up an Osprey Poco Premium

He absolutely loved being able to see everything from a nice high vantage point, and it counted as a "stroller" for his luggage allowance.

We co-slept with him, so didn't have to worry about a cot. Most places in Japan allow kids to stay free up to 5 years of age if using existing bedding anyway - not so much use to you tho. LOL

43. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

If the budget allows, have you considered taking a grandparent along for the ride or a young responsible skier. You pay airfares and food, accom they take their spending money and pay for lift tickets. Tell them it's mainly your skiing holidays but they will get a few days in or afternoons etc. Medical students are handy.

44. FatBoyDave

Like an au pair, https://www.newaupair.com/profile?id=724117&type=aupair
    definitely something to consider.

DPS Driver likes this.
  45. craighelo

craighelo One of Us

Use the $30 dollar Kmart one, usually can take on board or they take off you as you board.

46. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

yes but preferably someone who is familiar to the kids, so your not paying a wage, You're helping them afford a ski trip they couldn't afford and you get someone to look after the kids. A mate of mine did this and it worked really well for all. It gave him time skiing with his wife, time alone and vice versa plus time for the babysitter to get out as well.