Day to Day Northern Queensland weather

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
I'm starting this thread to kind of keep all of the WZ Northern Queensland/Tropical refugees together in one thread.

This is up to the mods and @Richard, but I assume the existing cyclone thread will persist and perhaps diverge if there’s enough interest. This thread will be for more dry-season talk, general rainfall forecasting and statistics analysis, BOM warnings, general observations discussion, etc.

The cyclone threads are for talk about cyclone threats, etc.

If anyone has suggestions or thoughts, please share them. I’m sure the mods and admins will change as they see fit.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I do like your UL temps over QLD today. There would be some serious LI & CAPE values if that QLD ground had some heat in it!
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 10.12.57 pm.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
As a former Townsville resident ( 25 years ), this is the closest thread I could find for the following photo to be shown and a bit of history discussed.

I took this photo on 11 Feb 2008 in the middle of the Wet. The end of my street is across the water. The flooded creek shown is tidal but gates about 2 km downstream keep the tides and storm surges out.

10 years earlier in Jan 1998, the famous " Night Of Noah " saw water here a metre higher.

A housing development was mooted where the water is. This photo was used by residents to protest the development which would have worsened the flooding.

The following year 2009 saw 654mm in Jan and 961mm in Feb with the road I took the photo from, submerged.

Guess what...the development went ahead on the right hand half of the photo. They would have good fishing from their bedroom windows.

The Idalia and Oonoonba areas, also tidal, were being further developed at the time. Fast forward 10 years to 2019. Rain in Jan 2019 of 461mm and Feb of 964mm, the overall total being less than 2009, caused way worse flooding than 2009, as these developments restricted floodwater flow and higher flood levels. What the developers want...they get, is the motto.

4020L - 110208 - end of Lockheed St. from Dearness St.image.jpg

Ozone Doug

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2019
Roma QLD
Retired weatherman, That is a beautiful photo ,Need to put it in a calendar. Well I got 3 mm of rain at my place in Roma yesterday ,Not much but may help the grass as it is starting to die off again.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I was expecting to see the people who posted in the Northern Qld Townsville from Weatherzone threads in here but nope ?
Not a WZ guy but I was sitting under a umbrella watching the main race in Supercars yesterday afternoon. In the eleven year history of the event this was the first time it was affected by rain. Being an ex Townsville boy I was very surprised by the conditions. It never rains in Townsville in July.

Seabreezes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
South West Rocks, NSW
Not a WZ guy but I was sitting under a umbrella watching the main race in Supercars yesterday afternoon. In the eleven year history of the event this was the first time it was affected by rain. Being an ex Townsville boy I was very surprised by the conditions. It never rains in Townsville in July.
I had the V8s on the TV in the lounge room, but wasn't watching it. When I did get to look at the TV, my automatic thought was 'wow, it's very smoky in Townsville!'. Then a second or two later, I realised it was rain. LOL

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Townsville has had 1.7m of rain this year yet Yeppoon got that much a few years back and no flooding, however from memory it was somewhere between 2012-2016 when we got that much ... , from memory it was throughout the whole year not in a week . No rivers here to flood though .

Townsville could have no rain until next year and still be average... , is it still looking green up there ?

Reactions: Raindammit

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I had the V8s on the TV in the lounge room, but wasn't watching it. When I did get to look at the TV, my automatic thought was 'wow, it's very smoky in Townsville!'. Then a second or two later, I realised it was rain. LOL
Normally in North Queensland during winter the prevailing wind is the south easterly which usually means no rain for Townsville due to the lay of the land. Yesterday the weather came from the east which was more conducive to producing rainfall.

WzTrav

Early Days
Jul 5, 2019
I was drenched at the V8s. Actually got a bit heavy there for a few minutes. Made for an awesome race, its probably the only sport I can watch in the rain and be happy about it. Carnage.

Raindammit

Early Days
Jul 8, 2019
Townsville NQ & Bilyana FNQ
Townsville has had 1.7m of rain this year yet Yeppoon got that much a few years back and no flooding, however from memory it was somewhere between 2012-2016 when we got that much ... , from memory it was throughout the whole year not in a week . No rivers here to flood though .

Townsville could have no rain until next year and still be average... , is it still looking green up there ?

Still green across some of the city, but browning off a little. The recent rain has kept things ticking along.

The best thing is that the dam is at 90% heading into the driest part of the year.

Reactions: Vinny

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I was drenched at the V8s. Actually got a bit heavy there for a few minutes. Made for an awesome race, its probably the only sport I can watch in the rain and be happy about it. Carnage.
I was sitting between turn six and seven and had a front row seat when Whingecup lost it. Where were you sitting?

Ronfishes

Hard Yards
Jul 6, 2019
Gononvale
Just tipped out a nice 26mm. Was a shocker of a drive to Mission Beach this morning, dark and wet the whole way. The Russel river and Babinda creek were actually fairly swollen and quite dirty.

Reactions: WzTrav

WzTrav

Early Days
Jul 5, 2019
I was sitting between turn six and seven and had a front row seat when Whingecup lost it. Where were you sitting?

I was on the hairpin, where he lost his oil pressure right before the pit entry haha

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Was very foggy across the city this morning!!
IMG_20190712_080345.jpg

The morning wasn't as cool as it was forecast to be, but the next several mornings will be below 10c inland from the coast.
Townsville I presume? Good idea to quote your location so folks know where you are. Works well in the snow threads.

Ronfishes

Hard Yards
Jul 6, 2019
Gononvale
Almost crystal clear day in Cairns today, beautiful calm morning as well although the blustery SEer has arrived for the rest of the day. Could be some cool nights this week

Reactions: Claude Cat
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass