Day to Day Northern Territory

Discussion in 'The Tropics & Cyclones' started by Greysrigging, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

40 year resident of Darwin but have worked all over the NT.... North, South ( not so much ) East and West.
    Not a technical bloke.... an observer mainly.
    Been recording weather stats and pics and stuff for most of those 40 years..... not to mention pics and recordings of weather events down south ( east, south and west ). I'm a bit of a stats Nazi and am very interested in modern anomalies re historical records
    For the stats minded we have just had our coolest minimum Sept average since 2014 ( 20.2c ) on top of an excellent 'Dry Season' of 71 nights below 20c. Interestingly the 4 coldest Sept minimums on average have been 2004, 2006, 2014 and 2019.
    The 'build up' is in full swing as of the 1st Oct.... we are all hanging out for the first rains/storms.
    Inland NT has approached record territory re maximum temps the last few days... exceeded 40c in many places.....

Orebound and Jellybeans like this.
  2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Pshaw. NT weather is simple. 34 degrees and dry from May to October or November, then 34 degrees with oppressive humidity and storms. The only challenge is precise identification of the flip.

South of Katherine it's dry with occasional wet patches.

piolet and qwill like this.
  3. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

NT is big, very big. And it’s weather surprisingly complex when you get into the detail.

True if all you need to know is to wear thongs or jandles it’s simple.

piolet likes this.
  4. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

5. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

We get some wicked storms out in the VRD.... see if I can get a few pics and post 'em up. Mind you, the storm season is expected to be delayed a bit this season.... see how we go.....

skifree and Orebound like this.
  6. Orebound

Orebound Storm Tourist Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah the VRD can certainly turn on some incredible lightning displays that's for sure. We often head down there during the storm season to get some shots. That escarpment country around the Vic River is some of my favorite scenery in the entire Top End.

I look forward to your shots.

Here's a quick one from the Buntine Highway turnoff...

EDIT - Hey mods what do you reckon we make this topic a day to day thread for the Top End wet season in the tropics forums?

[​IMG]
    Buntine Highway Lightning
    by Orebound Images, on Flickr

7. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

Yeah, there would be a bit of activity posting wise once the 'build up' kicks in....

Orebound likes this.
  8. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

@POW_hungry @Claude Cat , please see post #6, I dunno what the difference is, a thread is a thread and if folks want they can post day to day.

Or is there some special majik in weather?

POW_hungry likes this.
  9. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

@Orebound in few weeks, at the advent of 19/20 season, we’ll be firing up the Cyclone/Wet season thread. At caution of spreading multiple threads too far and thin do you think this will suffice? We can fire that thread up now if you want.

skifree likes this.
  10. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

Bring it on.....
    ( from a few years ago and not my pic )
    I'm in the Northern Suburbs of Darwin ( Leanyer ) and we don't do so well generally from early season 'build up' storms. Inland rural areas fire up much earlier than us. The standing joke is of the 'Force Field' surrounding the Northern 'Burbs keeping the storms at bay. Lost count of the number of times I've watched storms such as the one pictured get to about Karama and disappear before ones very eyes..... ( sigh )

Claude Cat, skifree and POW_hungry like this.
  11. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

Righte - oh.... OCT 2019 is shaping up as an ordinary month storm and rainfall wise and the Outlook published by the BOM doesn't look real good.

All weather fanatics who live in Darwin believe in the 'Force Field' that surrounds the Northern 'Burbs. That invisible storm killer that dissipates storms before our very eyes as we watch them collapse or head off toward East Arm or Shoal Bay.

But.... do the rainfall stats actually back this up ?

Some quick figures for Oct from various parts of the Town and Rural Areas going back to around 1990.

Monthly Averages Oct. Since 1990 - Wettest - Driest

Airport - 70.2mm - 157.8 - 1.8

Botanical Gardens - 65mm 190.2 - 0.0

East Arm Port - 72mm 210.0 - 17.4

Leanyer - 67.8mm 189.5 - 6.4

Yarrawonga ( Palmy ) - 57mm 185.2 - 0.0

Berrimah Farm - 78.7mm 199.9 - 2.0

Berrimah CSIRO - 74.6mm 189.6 - 2.4

McMinns Lagoon - 78.8mm 181.6 - 0.0

Shoal Bay - 66.2mm 193.3 - 0.5

Elizabeth Valley - 67.1mm 159.9 - 0.0

Howard Springs - 67.3mm 269.2 - 0.0

Humpty Doo - 78.2mm 222.1 - 0.0

So what does it mean ? Buggered if I know, but confirms my 40 years of observations/suspicions that

A/- Berrimah and the 11 mile gets more and better storms than Leanyer....

B/- So does Humpty Doo, McMinns etc....

Seriously but, the totals across the region on average are pretty close. The Rural stations get substantially more extreme monthly rain fall totals in excess of 100mm, but this is offset in the figures with far more 'dry' Octobers of less than 10mm.

So if we are to believe the BOM Outlook, we could be in for a 5% Percentile monthy total in the Darwin region..... mind you one storm that lands in a gauge.... well there is the monthly average ?

POW_hungry likes this.
  12. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Welcome to the forum, theres a few Dawinites in here. I was born and bred, Nightcliff primary/High, til Tracy sent me to boarding school in Adelaide. Long time Family (father) business. Dad was NT news first Photographer. Old tin shed at the wharf end of Smith st.

#12 mannyk, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    crackson, POW_hungry and Greysrigging like this.
  13. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

14. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

Close to half way through the month and Nil rain recorded at the Airport Site, let alone the Northern Suburbs Desert.
    . We average around 68mm for October, but its a variable month..... depends on when the first 'build up' storms appear, and this year it is a bit slow . Our 'indicator' plants in the gardens are coming to life, as well as the green tree frogs calling for stray hook ups, so all the signs are out there for some moisture, but... still at least a week away ( or more ) methinks.

Orebound and POW_hungry like this.
  15. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

An impressive October heatwave under way across the Top End, VRD and East Kimberley. Even coastal Darwin has a forecast of 36c tomorrow. Tindal RAAF Base, Katherine has clocked a pair of rounded 43c maxs, Bradshaw out in the VRD 43.7 yesterday. I'm heading out there tomorrow for a demolition job near Timber Creek.... haha.... dreading it !
    41c forecast for Darwin rural areas the next few days...... and no sign of rain in the foreseeable future.... ( sigh ).

Orebound likes this.
  16. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Haven't you got to the point where it is OK just to start a fire?