1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Northern WA weather (North of Tropic of Capricorn)

Discussion in 'The Tropics & Cyclones' started by StormyLee, Aug 2, 2019.

1. StormyLee

StormyLee Early Days

Hi all, I thought it would be good to start up a thread for us Northwest Aussies (all contributions welcome of course regardless of your location). I would assume that any Tropical Cyclones would warrant their own individual thread but we can use this for day-to-day, any other weather events, that rare thing called rain, cool photo's - we get some cracking storms up north! - and just about anything you want to discuss regarding the weather up here really.

I figure the easiest way to ensure this thread stays relevant to the tropics due to this vast state of ours, is to split WA into north and south of the Tropic of Capricorn.

Orebound likes this.
  2. StormyLee

StormyLee Early Days

@Orebound so glad that you've come across - love reading your posts and photo's.

Plan on doing any chasing this year? Your intuition on where TC's will cross has been bang on in the past - remember Pardoo?

Orebound likes this.
  3. Orebound

Orebound Storm Tourist Ski Pass: 30 Day

Thanks @StormyLee I appreciate that and good work with starting up the thread!

I'm sure if there is anything decent poking around we'll have a crack at it as we usually do. They have been few and far between over there in recent years as you know so probably due for something a bit more substantial I guess.

I look forward to your reports from KTown! Hopefully a better wet season ahead :emoji_cloud_rain:

Seabreezes and StormyLee like this.
  4. StormyLee

StormyLee Early Days

Yes fingers crossed for something good! STC Veronica was a bust for us - blew her little ring off putting us on Red Alert for three days and got barely any rain in Karratha. This year is looking like a regular old Neutral ENSO wise, so who knows - neutral can def throw a curveball. At this point I'd even just take a decent tropical low or two to be honest, very very dry here. Bring on November when we can start playing the cyclone game :D:D:D

Orebound likes this.
  5. Orebound

Orebound Storm Tourist Ski Pass: 30 Day

Yeah it was interesting how Karratha missed out so badly from Veronica. We were not that far away out at Point Samson and it barely stopped raining. Guess you could say you guys got ripped off! :mad:

StormyLee likes this.
  6. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Do you see this as a ‘day to day’ thread?

@StormyLee ?

7. StormyLee

StormyLee Early Days

Yeah I think so - once cyclones are declared or have an invest they could warrant individual threads if you reckon that's the way to go. Cheers

Trail Blazer and Orebound like this.
  8. StormyLee

StormyLee Early Days

Here's a photo of my backyard after STC Veronica, three days on lockdown, barely any rain. We had only just cleared and redone the gardens 12 months prior... always the way!

Orebound likes this.
  9. StormyLee

StormyLee Early Days

10. StormyLee

StormyLee Early Days

BOM's Access G has what looks like an early tropical / NW trough coming through - does anyone know if the massive cold front down south could affect that? Link up and give us some good wet stuff will ya :nerd: the cows are thirsty!