NOW CLOSED -- June 2021 Forums XF 2.0 Upgrade. File your complaints & bug reports here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
So forums did not get nuked from orbit.

The upgrade went as well as could be expected on Thursday night, processing the gudzillion database objects through half a dozen release versions including the major schema change of 1.5.x to 2.0.x with only one easy-to-fix glitch - which of course happened as soon after I fell asleep at 2:15am and so we lost two hours.

Last night's install of the two UI.X Themehouse themes and configuration of the forum nodes went equally well (notwithstanding the usual matrix of unix folder permissions I had to navigate without resorting to chmoding the entire install base to 777*) - with the exception of Search, which is still not functioning @Sandy.

* FYI: for those of you who are not server geeks, this is a very, very bad thing to do for system security.

Before you all barrage me with reports of broken stuff, please observe the following notes;

1. There are now three themes (instead of the previous two).
The default Xenforo theme for XF2 is good enough to make available. The three themes are;
- Xenforo (this is the 'lightning bolt' theme)
- Light (system default)
- Dark

If you liked the Active Topics 'lightning bolt' icon on mobile devices, then the XenForo theme is the only theme that has it.

I liked it too so I'll be exploring how to implement that feature with a custom template for the other two themes in time. Changing themes is in the bottom left corner of every forum page - or via your preferences.

2. Forum Search is borked for the time being.
Back in 2017, we upgraded to the official XenForo enhanced search that runs on an AWS Elasticsearch instance, this is why the default site search has no meta index after 2017 (@Sandy and other geeks). I wasted two hours last night trying to re-initiate a connection to the AWS instance and gave up in order to move on. I'm unlikely to resolve this inside a few days as I won't be able to get back to the screen for a while (+1 has returned home from work conference). Unfortuantely I did not take note of the original configuration and so it is lost, and I have to work out the nuance of AWS IAM for elasticsearch all over again.

Use the site search on homepage if you want decent search results in the interim, but be mindful that it is basically a wrapper on Bing and has not access to Apre topic threads.

3. Emoji's are a bit of a mess.
Too many libraries after the upgrade. I've moved classic UBB to 2nd position in the list of libraries. The reason some of you are having issues is that you need to refresh the cache of hundreds of little icon files - and the first time you use it they need to all load in again, this can be glitchy on older mobile devices and tablets. I will clean this up in time, but it ain't no priority.

4. Media Embeds - Expansion pack is not yet installed.
Linked media embeds is limited to a handful of usual suspects such as Twitter & YouTube etc. The expansion pack is a third party app (@crackson) and I have not upgraded to the XF 2.0 release yet. Expect that sometime this week.

5. Miscellaneous Nuances and Features are missing
There's five years of countless custom UX and small detail things that all had to get tossed with the bathwater. It's going to take time to put it all back. Known knowns are;
Custom mashead navigation with global Ski items such as Cams is not yet rebuilt
Ads are missing for regular members (sadly still a necessity)
Chartbeat & Google analytics tags
Many system cache's need rebuilding - you will find glitches in historical posts everywhere.
Fee based Gold & Silver features & upgrade steps need reconcilling
Stripe payment gateway is missing
yada yada..

But why??
For those of you wondering why we are going through this pain for seemingly little gain, the answer is two-fold at heart.

a) Not updating underlying systems is a both a security risk and a path to obsolescence. The weatherzone forums were abandoned primarily because they hung on to the old UBB.Threads platform for many years too long and the upgrade path became unavailable and waaaaaaay too expensive for a corporate.

b) The leap to verion 2.0 will reduce the cost of running the joint by between $200-$350 US per month because I can ditch the coupled Dynamic Image Server that enabled mobile responsive images for the 100,000 odd uploaded images. Not only does it cost less, but the whole platform has improved performance. Win:Win as they say.

Feel free to complain and report bugs.

All that said, I can't fix what I don't know about and only 1000 pair of eyes will find all the glitches and bugs... so please, report away

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
WTF is this:?

1622852520048.png

Prominently displayed at the top of the page.

Reactions: D69131
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
I was hoping that I could use smileys from the Google keyboard with the new format. Much disappoint so far.

Me too, I've got that feature on my wish list, but suspect it's only available with true apps that have access to system hooks.

Reactions: Seafm

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
might be a feature not a bug but when replying you don't see the quote tags. sometimes it is good to exploit these to break up a post and answer different parts separately. I realised there are work arounds. not so obvious for newbies

Nope. Don't have lightning bolt.
testing
Have dark theme

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Only 10 threads per page unless you choose to "view more"
I noticed that too at some stage during the evening, see if that is configurable in your preferences, I'll keep an eye out in the config settings (which is where I suspect it lives)

Jun 1, 2017
Sydney
Now that I've worked out how to post a big version of a picture, I can't find the spanner icon to get rid of the thumbnail version that I posted previously.
[I've worked it out now]

Reactions: Richard

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
I've noticed that the auto scroll buttons are beside each other in the dark theme and work fine, but XF theme only up scroll button is visible. Not sure if down is below it and off the screen. mobile phone.

edit same occurs on win10 surface pro

Jun 1, 2017
Sydney
Entering the realm of the very small things now.
The arrangement of person posting and when they posted has been transposed, and my muscle memory keeps getting a profile instead of the latest from said member.

ss2.jpg

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Entering the realm of the very small things now.
The arrangement of person posting and when the posted has been transposed, and my muscle memory keeps getting a profile instead of the latest from said member.

ss2.jpg

ya,

I've done that too. But I wont be messing at that level, it will pass like when you have to switch driving to a European car and keep hitting the wipers instead of the blinkers.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Asian/Russian as in script. Looks like a foreign script that doesn't use our alphabet, is what I meant. How else can you describe what appears in the "Favicon"?
yep I get you

It's the UIX logo, which is an abstract image of a set of slider controls (the UIX theme has a lot of configurability), looks like a vertical abacus. Barely recognisable and is untidy at the tiny 32x32 pixel size.

Reactions: teckel

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
I think from past discussion I'm one of the few who use this heavily. I used to use unread watched threads as my primary starting point. It doesn't seem possible under the [Forums>Watched] item to only show unread, and with the new theme, the distinction between read/unread threads is less obvious.

I did notice under the [New Posts]/[Active Topics] pages that a filter appears at the top of the thread list. I managed to add the 'watched' filter from the filter list, along with the 'Unread' filter which I think is defaulted to on.
I noticed when doing this that the URL changed, and thought I could save that URL, however when I reapply the filters the URL changed again and I see different results, so assume the URL is dynamic in some way.

So - feature request: would be great to have a link somewhere in the menu/navbar that show Unread+Watched threads :)
I haven't played with the themes too much, but noticed it wasn't there yesterday in the XF theme, and still not there under the default

cheers

1622857064338.png

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Asian/Russian as in script. Looks like a foreign script that doesn't use our alphabet, is what I meant. How else can you describe what appears in the "Favicon"?
Edit: Fixed now :thumbs: Except for the description
I think it's meant to be a stylized picture of little sliders to access more stuff

Reactions: Richard

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
I think from past discussion I'm one of the few who use this heavily. I used to use unread watched threads as my primary starting point. It doesn't seem possible under the [Forums>Watched] item to only show unread, and with the new theme, the distinction between read/unread threads is less obvious.

I did notice under the [New Posts]/[Active Topics] pages that a filter appears at the top of the thread list. I managed to add the 'watched' filter from the filter list, along with the 'Unread' filter which I think is defaulted to on.
I noticed when doing this that the URL changed, and thought I could save that URL, however when I reapply the filters the URL changed again and I see different results, so assume the URL is dynamic in some way.

So - feature request: would be great to have a link somewhere in the menu/navbar that show Unread+Watched threads :)
I haven't played with the themes too much, but noticed it wasn't there yesterday in the XF theme, and still not there under the default

cheers

1622857064338.png

So, did unread/watched have a fixed URL that you bookmarked on the 1.5 version??

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Xenforo theme on mobile only has the scroll up button appearing. No scroll down
That is default Xenforo behaviour. The floating up/down arrows are part of the custom themes. As I said elsewhere, I'd be happy with the default XF theme with just one modification - the floating up/down arrows.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
There is also a Set As Default checkbox in those filter options (on mobile) which you must select to save your choices.

Reactions: currawong
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass