NOW CLOSED -- June 2021 Forums XF 2.0 Upgrade. File your complaints & bug reports here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Until Richard comes up with a permanent friction-free solution, after tapping the lightning bolt and as soon as Active Topics loads, I tap Latest Posts to get the full page of threads before starting to scroll down. Xenforo theme, Android phone.

Yes I know it's 2 taps, but it's less frustrating than tapping Show More at the bottom of the page, only to have it reload a whole page rather than just unrolling more threads

That’s two taps per thread review I’ll never get back.

Life’s short.

Tech is here to make our lives easier, no?

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Active includes recently read with no new posts. Latest excludes recently read and only shows a list of most recent with unread posts.

Reactions: Dave6
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
I can't figure out why some URL links don't "unfurl." In the example, I included two URLs. One came out as expected and the other is just text. Even after I added Unfurl codes manually, it's just a link. Is that a function of the source website?

Has happened a few times, but I didn't feel like investigating. Using Safari 14.1.1 on a desktop.

EDIT: never mind. I figured it out. Had accidentally gone into BB mode before I posted the second URL. That changes what happens.

SCREEN SHOT before Unfurl

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 10.42.27 AM.png

SCREEN SHOT after Unfurl

Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 10.49.56 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Is there any way I can set it so that when I click on a thread it takes me to the most recent message rather than the message I last looked at?

Also as a general observation there is something about the layout I don’t like that much, I’m spending less time on here then before. It could be related to the para above that it’s more clicks

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Well, I'm still a little confused. Posted a URL can it turned into a link but not with the details like the article title, which is nice to have in most cases. Of the title and the first sentence is enough to convey the general idea I find interesting if people don't want to read the full article.

It might be what you’re linking doesn’t have the proper open graph content? I have a little thing on Wordpress that does that because the way images are inserted doesn’t provide a thumbnail

Reactions: Richard

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Is there any way I can set it so that when I click on a thread it takes me to the most recent message rather than the message I last looked at?

Also as a general observation there is something about the layout I don’t like that much, I’m spending less time on here then before. It could be related to the para above that it’s more clicks
I think you’ll need to provide more info on the behavior you’re describing here.

My understanding is that you will be taken to the first unread (by you) post in a thread. Are you wanting something different??

Reactions: crackson

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012

Further…

Click on yellow should take you to next unread post as I described above

Red will take you to the latest post
3D8E2ADD-FE27-43F9-9E82-ACCC4264BA42.jpeg

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I think you’ll need to provide more info on the behavior you’re describing here.

My understanding is that you will be taken to the first unread (by you) post in a thread. Are you wanting something different??

Previously I was taken to the most recent post in the thread, rather than the most recent post I had seen.

I’d like to be taken to the most recent post again as standard. Otherwise I’m days behind the conversation.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Previously I was taken to the most recent post in the thread, rather than the most recent post I had seen.

I’d like to be taken to the most recent post again as standard. Otherwise I’m days behind the conversation.

this I don’t understand, the main thread link has never taken you to the most recent post, only ever the last read or the beginning. Only the section in red per Kyle’s post has taken you to the most recent post.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Well, I'm still a little confused. Posted a URL can it turned into a link but not with the details like the article title, which is nice to have in most cases. Of the title and the first sentence is enough to convey the general idea I find interesting if people don't want to read the full article.

Only web pages with open graph tags do that. Most news / zine sites run open graph tags as it’s essential for sharing on Facebook, but some sites still don’t run them.

So it’s about the site you are linking to, not inconsistency from the forums.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Only web pages with open graph tags do that. Most news / zine sites run open graph tags as it’s essential for sharing on Facebook, but some sites still don’t run them.

So it’s about the site you are linking to, not inconsistency from the forums.
Got it. Thanks.

Have enough of programming background to understand the idea in theory after looking up Open Graph Tags. Decided long ago I didn't want to know how to create webpages.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town

layout is not so significantly different as to reduce time here, suspect spurious correlation with personal wax and wane with community - but there’s likely to be an element of change fatigue as catalyst.

Statistically the site traffic almost 50% up for June (upgrade was 6th) vs last year and average session time up 15~20% and on track for above average season. But that’s all about a functional local ski season with June snowfalls. Either way, no evidence that upgrade has hindered participation in the aggregate.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Until Richard comes up with a permanent friction-free solution, after tapping the lightning bolt and as soon as Active Topics loads, I tap Latest Posts to get the full page of threads before starting to scroll down. Xenforo theme, Android phone.

Yes I know it's 2 taps, but it's less frustrating than tapping Show More at the bottom of the page, only to have it reload a whole page rather than just unrolling more threads
why not just make a bookmark?

Reactions: CarveMan

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
layout is not so significantly different as to reduce time here, suspect spurious correlation with personal wax and wane with community - but there’s likely to be an element of change fatigue as catalyst.

Statistically the site traffic almost 50% up for June (upgrade was 6th) vs last year and average session time up 15~20% and on track for above average season. But that’s all about a functional local ski season with June snowfalls. Either way, no evidence that upgrade has hindered participation in the aggregate.
Again probably my own usage bias (spending more time on mobile lately) but with this upgrade I'm finding mobile usability slightly more frictionless than desktop. Never expected to say that. But that might be because I just haven't spent enough time on the new desktop version to get that last bit of smooth with it. Regardless, says volumes on how far mobile usability has come.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Again probably my own usage bias (spending more time on mobile lately) but with this upgrade I'm finding mobile usability slightly more frictionless than desktop. Never expected to say that. But that might be because I just haven't spent enough time on the new desktop version to get that last bit of smooth with it. Regardless, says volumes on how far mobile usability has come.
I am really liking the mobile image upload process, that is light years ahead of previous.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
this I don’t understand, the main thread link has never taken you to the most recent post, only ever the last read or the beginning. Only the section in red per Kyle’s post has taken you to the most recent post.

Ok well maybe it’s needing to click on the orange thread numbers and type in the latest page rather than just click the arrows.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Clear your browser, log back in to the site, try and duplicate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass