NOW CLOSED -- June 2021 Forums XF 2.0 Upgrade. File your complaints & bug reports here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Hi, since the upgrade I can no longer open twitter links, cheers

that’s probably not the upgrade. It will be the browser v’s Twitter and the shifting sands of privacy.

Either way,

what browser, what device, what operating system ?

suspect it’s because you are not logged in to Twitter

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Hey @Richard, just checking on how things are tracking with the attachment cache rebuild?

Thanks again for everything you do.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Hey @Richard, just checking on how things are tracking with the attachment cache rebuild?

Thanks again for everything you do.

It won't work via the browser, waaaaayyy too many images and it just times out after an hour or so -- so I have to learn how to do it via the command line -- which I haven't done yet.

But now you mention it, I'll be back onto it in the evenings.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
that’s probably not the upgrade. It will be the browser v’s Twitter and the shifting sands of privacy.

Either way,

what browser, what device, what operating system ?

suspect it’s because you are not logged in to Twitter
Thanks Richard, no Im not logged into twitter. It was working before, is why I asked. I think I will leave it be for the moment. Ta

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Thanks Richard, no Im not logged into twitter. It was working before, is why I asked. I think I will leave it be for the moment. Ta

When you say; "I can no longer open Twitter links"

Do you mean you do not see the card like this anymore;

1625739731396.png

Or do you mean that the links within the twitter card no longer work??

Also, are you on desktop or mobile?

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
When you go to Active Topics the displayed list is quite short. When you hit "view more" you go back to the top of the list. Any way to make this start at the extra topics displayed? Or simply show more in the original active topic list.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
When you go to Active Topics the displayed list is quite short. When you hit "view more" you go back to the top of the list. Any way to make this start at the extra topics displayed? Or simply show more in the original active topic list.
Hit 'Latest Posts' and remove all the filters, select 'Save Default' then hit 'Filter'

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 8.49.51 pm.png

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
When you say; "I can no longer open Twitter links"

Do you mean you do not see the card like this anymore;

1625739731396.png

Or do you mean that the links within the twitter card no longer work??

Also, are you on desktop or mobile?
Thanks Richard, as in your first sample or both really.
Im on a laptop running win10.
I am also seeing posts where there is nothing there, Im assuming its a image of some sort.
Im not much of a computer tech person.
These things have changed since the upgrade, but not a biggy.
Cheers

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
As of this afternoon (Saturday), when a notification turns up, it now doubles up. The normal bell icon, as well as the avatar icon both show little flags. Makes me think that I’m double loved! Why would that be?

thanks.
I have noticed as well. Assumed Richard is playing. The reason appears to be that nested under the profile avatar, is another instance of the notification bell. As I say, assume Richard is adjusting things

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
something that comes up nearly every day somewhere in the forum - the paywalled media link
unfortunately there are numerous local and international sites that provide only the merest glimpse of their content unless you pay
in such instances it would be good if forum members posted a pdf of the story they’re linking, instead of a link that offers nothing
a tutorial on how to do it would be easy
someone once suggested that it might be a breach of copyright, but I doubt that would be an issue

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
something that comes up nearly every day somewhere in the forum - the paywalled media link
unfortunately there are numerous local and international sites that provide only the merest glimpse of their content unless you pay
in such instances it would be good if forum members posted a pdf of the story they’re linking, instead of a link that offers nothing
someone once suggested that it might be a breach of copyright, but I doubt that would be an issue
What I try to do is view the paywalled page in ‘reader mode’ in my browser which makes it much easier to cut & paste into a thread.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
technically it’s a breach of copyright, but also... highly unlikely that ad-hoc cut n' paste in will be pursued. It's not like the business model of this forum profits from plagiarism.

The more likely pursuit is an account holder repeatedly sharing paywalled content into a community - which is a breach of T&C - that might end up with a fuss between the masthead and the subscriber, if the masthead discovered it was happening and could also identify you.

Reactions: MarzNC and Hyst

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
As of this afternoon (Saturday), when a notification turns up, it now doubles up. The normal bell icon, as well as the avatar icon both show little flags. Makes me think that I’m double loved! Why would that be?

thanks.

Yes.

So this is definitely a thing. As @KylePee surmised, it was self-induced but is a bug introduced with the latest upgrade of the forum core -- which then necessitated an upgraded of the UIX theme - both of which I upgraded yesterday in succession and it immediately appeared.

I've looked at it closely and it's a style/css thing. Have reported it to the authors of the UIX theme - it does not appear on the xenforo default theme.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
BAD06BB6-8E2F-4471-9F52-25C30E4FB24D.jpeg

This is bugging me a bit

It's bugging everyone - including me, and I got a plan on a fix I need to test in dev first.

But that comes after all the image thumbnails have been processed (at 50% - another 24hr should do it -- 200,000 images to crunch is taking a toll on the server CPU) .

Then, the search index needs to be rebuilt - I finally got the AWS elasticsearch instance reconnected on Friday - now the index needs to be rebuilt.

So I reckon by about Wed I *may* have the Active Topics first 20 <-> view more thing sorted.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
technically it’s a breach of copyright, but also... highly unlikely that ad-hoc cut n' paste in will be pursued. It's not like the business model of this forum profits from plagiarism.

The more likely pursuit is an account holder repeatedly sharing paywalled content into a community - which is a breach of T&C - that might end up with a fuss between the masthead and the subscriber, if the masthead discovered it was happening and could also identify you.
surely it rates as fair use?

Reactions: crackson

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
It's bugging everyone - including me, and I got a plan on a fix I need to test in dev first.

But that comes after all the image thumbnails have been processed (at 50% - another 24hr should do it -- 200,000 images to crunch is taking a toll on the server CPU) .

Then, the search index needs to be rebuilt - I finally got the AWS elasticsearch instance reconnected on Friday - now the index needs to be rebuilt.

So I reckon by about Wed I *may* have the Active Topics first 20 <-> view more thing sorted.
I followed @CarveMan advice, which he has posted at least twice ie use the filter settings

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
is search borked?

I can't get any results for things like "camping thread", or "sunset" ... no results found. Tried a few different ways, seems borked

Reactions: skifree

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
@Richard The search function had a big gap between the upgrade and back to 2017, but now it doesn't seem to find anything older than the upgrade.

Brand new elasticsearch server connection is now in place - with no index whatsoever -- I could not make the old elasticsearch instance work -- was too old a version after the XF 2 upgrade I suspect 5.5 v's 7.1 now -- I did find the autoupdate setting on the new instance so that should mitigate that.

A few more days -- the thumbnail processing is down to the last 10,000 images so I should be able to start the search rebuild tonight -- which I expect will take a full 24 hours or more.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Right..

Click the brackets [ ] you are in BB code mode. It now remembers and holds state between posts if you select that mode.
It's easy to accidentally hit that [ ] icon. I seem to do it every few days on the phone. when aiming for the three dots on the right

I realise you can't do anything about it just saying how it happens

Reactions: skifree and MickM

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
It's easy to accidentally hit that [ ] icon. I seem to do it every few days on the phone. when aiming for the three dots on the right

I realise you can't do anything about it just saying how it happens

What is in the three dots on the right that is so compelling?

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Can you expand?
If I go into my profil, I can choose "Your content" (my content)

I used to be able to read alle the stupied stuff I have been writing. But now I get error "you are not allowed to view ..." or something like that.

Off course I do understand the system does not want to show all the stupied stuff I have been writing - but I like to keep treek of my stupidities.

Reactions: crackson

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

I used to be able to read alle the stupied stuff I have been writing. But now I get error "you are not allowed to view ..." or something like that.

Off course I do understand the system does not want to show all the stupied stuff I have been writing - but I like to keep treek of my stupidities.
Wait till search is back.

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA

As CW says above, the search engine is borked. Richard is rebuilding the index.

Reactions: Hyst

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Search is back.

@Sandy, let me know if you find missing teeth in the index as you go about your day please.

Also, @elSpike @CarveMan @cold wombat @POW Hungry @Claude Cat @Ian D

In the attachment rebuild process I discovered that approx 30K uploaded images are missing from between early July and mid Sep 2020.

They are in AWS S3 storage and somehow missed the mega image migration of XF2 upgrade. So they are not lost but... it's going to be an effort to migrate and re-organise the folder structure -- and then rebuild thumbnails just for that (not insignificant) batch.

So.. if you find missing images in historical threads - please report here so that I can confirm it is indeed just the known gap detailed above that is missing -- and not some other random time period as well.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Search is back.

@Sandy, let me know if you find missing teeth in the index as you go about your day please.

Also, @elSpike @CarveMan @cold wombat @POW Hungry @Claude Cat @Ian D

In the attachment rebuild process I discovered that approx 30K uploaded images are missing from between early July and mid Sep 2020.

They are in AWS S3 storage and somehow missed the mega image migration of XF2 upgrade. So they are not lost but... it's going to be an effort to migrate and re-organise the folder structure -- and then rebuild thumbnails just for that (not insignificant) batch.

So.. if you find missing images in historical threads - please report here so that I can confirm it is indeed just the known gap detailed above that is missing -- and not some other random time period as well.
This thread is an excellent cure for anyone thinking of running a forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass